Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been chasing a EVAP leak on my wife's 2003 IS300 for almost a year now. It started out as a P0456 (very small EVAP leak). After doing some investigation (testing solenoids under the hood and on the charcoal canister), the code promoted itself to a P0442 (small EVAP leak), but I was getting P0456 at the same time. I replaced all EVAP related rubber hoses and vacuum lines under the hood with ones from Toyota. Still no improvement. I built a small DIY smoke test machine and traced it down what I thought was a leak in the charcoal canister. I took it to a trusted shop and they confirmed that it was a leaking charcoal canister. I ordered a new Toyota charcoal canister assembly, installed it, and reset the codes. A few weeks later the P0456 code comes back. I took it back to the same shop today and they can't find another leak after testing it twice (smoke and timed pressure test). I'm all out of ideas after checking everything in the Diagnostic Manual. Does anyone else have any ideas for things to look for on this one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may be stupid. But have you tried the gas cap. I have found the aftermarket ones suck. Make sure it is a OEM.
Sorry, I forgot to put in my post that I've already replaced the gas cap with an OEM one. Bonus, it came with a new tether.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Well then a really careful smoke test would be the best thing. But when you did that. Did you block some hoses at the charcoal canister? I know when my buddy at Lexus did one for me. He mentioned you half to do this. Also if the solenoids pulse on and off instead of staying open or closed. It will cause this also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts