Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the hoses was off near the charcoal canister valve, I secured the hoses and replaced the valve while I was in there. Thought for sure this would fix the P0440 code but the light came back on. I checked the hoses near the purge valve up under the hood and they seem to look ok. Seeing the car is 16 years old should I go ahead and replace the purge valve to see if that resolves the issue? I also already replaced the gas cap in case that was the problem, that's was the first thing I tried. Should also mention it seems like the car is making a bit of a whining noise which I can especially hear when I'm going at slower speeds when going through say a parking lot. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did or are you having the issue of the car struggling to start after you fill up? I've heard others have solved this by replacing the purge valve, I hear it get's stuck open. I'm going to try that first. It could be the overfill valve but I don't have any fuel smell in the car. I will try this next if the purge valve is unsuccessful.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did or are you having the issue of the car struggling to start after you fill up? I've heard others have solved this by replacing the purge valve, I hear it get's stuck open. I'm going to try that first. It could be the overfill valve but I don't have any fuel smell in the car. I will try this next if the purge valve is unsuccessful.
No I never had that issue. Let us know if replacing the purge valve ends up working for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure why I stopped receiving notification of replies. To answer the question above I didn't test the voltage. I thought about doing this and I should have but became consumed with just finding the part. I've spent a week trying to track down a purge valve at a reasonable price, best I've found is autozone for $72 all other places seem to be over $100. Had to wait for autozones dealer to get it back in stock. Anyhow I finally got the chance today to try and install the new one, stiff frigid winds up here in the northeast didn't make it easy. When I was attempting to remove the vacuum hoses off the purge valve I ended up snapping a nozzle off the expansion chamber(fuel vapor feed pipe) that the hoses go to from the purge valve. The hoses are so old and rigid it was very difficult to get off, and it sounds like from reading other posts that I'm not the only one this has happened to so be careful. I should have heated up the hoses with a lighter to loosen them up. Good news is the expansion chamber, ill post a pic of it, i'm finding it for like 9 bucks all over ebay. In the meantime I have a longer new piece of hose going directly from the new purge valve all the way over to the other connection that the expansion chamber was connecting to. Not even sure you need the expansion chamber but I definitely ordered it anyhow. The main discovery...I previously had looked all around that area very closely to see if there was any damage to the hoses but apparently not close enough! When I got everything unhooked sure enough there was a pretty decent size crack at the end of one the hoses going into the top nozzle of the purge valve that was hidden from the eye unless you had it completely apart. I'm guessing this must be what is throwing the engine light. I'm keeping the new purge valve though just in case the old one is potentially bad. If I had seen the crack I would have just replaced the hose and not bought the new valve. Here's a pic of the crack I found and of the expansion chamber piece. Do you think the crack in the hose is enough to cause the CEL to go on? I will obviously have to complete a drive cycle to see if this turns the CEL off. I did notice that the whining noise I was hearing seems to be much less possibly completely gone. I will have to see if I'm still having the issue with the car having trouble starting after filling up. Either way I will update here when I see if this has definitely worked or not. Be very careful if/when taking those hoses off the expansion chamber! lol I wouldn't take them off there at all if you can.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im having the same issue with the weird rattling st low speed and had a cel for the same codes. Got rod of the codes by replacing the vsv but im still getting that weird whirring sound tho

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im having the same issue with the weird rattling st low speed and had a cel for the same codes. Got rod of the codes by replacing the vsv but im still getting that weird whirring sound tho
Based on what the OP said, you may have a leak in one of the hoses. Since he didn't see it the first time around, I would check extra closely

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The whining type noise I was hearing was the power steering pump, it's on the way out. The issue I was having with trouble starting the car after filling up I believe possibly had something to do with my car battery practically being dead. It completely died the other day. As far as the p440code I haven't driven quite enough miles yet but replacing the old cracked hose going into the purge valve I'm hoping solved this issue. I will post back after I get some more miles on it. I'm hoping there's not a bad fuel tank overfill valve(aka roll over valve) or a bad fuel pump.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's been a little bit now but I think the last thing that I did was I had a smoke test done and they found a leak in a long hose right in front of the driver's seat that goes down underneath the car and towards the back. I don't know the name of it if I saw a diagram I could point out. But either way if you're having an issue I wouldn't waste any time I would just go get a smoke test done. I think the CEL light was on for a while after they did that but eventually it just went away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts