Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing a wideband here in a couple days, and i'm wondering how or if I can identify the oxygen sensor's that are currently installed. I'm not against tracing wiring to find its origin.

I have three sensors, all in the downpipe. All are four wire units with two blue wires and two white wires. One right at the first bend, about 4-5 inches from the turbo.. The other two are midway down the DP. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this DP(TurboEast, Ebay etc).

I'm aware of the O2 simulators, but I have no idea what they look like or where they're located(someone mentioned them being near the ECU). I can't say this with certainty, but i'm assuming the B1S1 and B2S1 are the two sensor's located next to one another in the middle of the downpipe. I'm hoping there's two O2 sims installed(for B1S2/B2S2) and the sensor nearest the turbine was just left connected to feed a narrowband O2 function on my Apex-i turbo timer.

Wishful thinking I suppose.

Any way to identify either the O2 simulators or the O2 wiring, so I know what i'm working with here?:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
The O2 sim should be in the ecu box and it should just be one sim that can put out a signal for both o2 sensors. Why do you wanna know about the O2 sensors for, because you're about to put a wideband sensor on your car?

If so why don't you just get an exhaust shop to weld on a o2 sensor bung so you can just put your wideband there and not have to worry about the rest of the o2 sensors.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, a wideband is going on..

I don't see a point in having a total of four sensors. Less cost, downtime, and hassle by eliminating one of the sensors if it's not needed. Plus, i'll have a replacement handy when one of the others goes out.

Any idea what the simulator looks like?

There's a TE black box somewhere in the mix, so I don't want to confuse them.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There has to be a simulator since I have three sensors total. If the O2 sim creates signals for two O2's, then maybe I lucked out and the third sensor is just for the NB output to the Apex-i TT... The B1S2/B2S2 would be kind of pointless I believe since there's no cat involved. I mean, what would they be able to tell the ECU in regards to pre/post catalytic readings?

I thought I read about being able to run just the B1S1/B2S1's, or even just a single S1(since there's no more bank 1 or 2)..

Thanks for the picture man, i'll hunt for it tomarrow. I do remember a black box that was a good bit larger than that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There has to be a simulator since I have three sensors total. If the O2 sim creates signals for two O2's, then maybe I lucked out and the third sensor is just for the NB output to the Apex-i TT... The B1S2/B2S2 would be kind of pointless I believe since there's no cat involved. I mean, what would they be able to tell the ECU in regards to pre/post catalytic readings?

I thought I read about being able to run just the B1S1/B2S1's, or even just a single S1(since there's no more bank 1 or 2)..

Thanks for the picture man, i'll hunt for it tomarrow. I do remember a black box that was a good bit larger than that.
If you don't have the b1s2//b2s2 on there you would get a p0420 code if i'm correct since the o2 sim cant simulate those codes because they are heater circuits. Good luck finding it, keep us all updated.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Easiest thing to do is track down the wiring harness. If you got 3 O2s in the downpipe then I'd say those are B1S1, B2S1, and B1S2. If B2S2 is plugged in, it'll be located in the midpipe. If you have an O2 simulator, take off the ECU cover and check for the wiring on B1S2 and B2S2.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent.. I'll check out the FSM and see where the O2 wiring harnesses get plugged in.. I know one is under the passengers seat, and another one is near the waterpump..

We'll see, i'm going to check this tonight..

Also, because I have an 01, should I be looking for this O2 Sim?
http://www.o2simulator.com/images/large/Universal_full_D.jpg

The pic is a bit large to post..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I have.

So I have the O2 simulator for 04+ when I have a 2001.. Hmmn.

Both O2 sensors located in the middle of the downpipe have the wiring harnesses going to the water pump area..

I haven't found where the wiring harness goes for the O2 sensor closest to the turbine housing. I'll have to dig further into the battery area as that's where the wiring disappears.

I've yet to check the "race pipe" for the B2S2.

I saw what I thought was the TE black box, but it seems to be a four post relay of sorts..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the O2 simulator box blinks green so it's hooked up correctly as per what the FAQ says about it..

The O2 sensor closest to the turbine has its wiring harness going to the connector right below the vent hose(PCV maybe) and above the 6th cylinder header runner.

Like I mentioned before, the other two O2 sensors have the wiring going to the area by the water pump and alternator.

From looking through the FSM, we have..

Sensor closest to turbine, connected by 6th cylinder exhaust port area: B2S1

One of the connectors by the water pump area is physically mounted to a bracket, so I believe this is B1S1.

That leaves B1S2 as the other connector by the waterpump not physically mounted as it's been moved from its stock location.

Now the question becomes, is my O2 simulator a dual output version? Or, will there be any adverse reactions if I eliminate the B1S2 if the O2 sim is a single output version?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now the question becomes, is my O2 simulator a dual output version? Or, will there be any adverse reactions if I eliminate the B1S2 if the O2 sim is a single output version?

:)

My wideband will be here early this week. Does anyone have some insight into my questions above?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, no?

Bump..

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
From the pics, it looks like you have a dual output simulator. Red = power, black = ground, white = simulated voltage. To confirm, connect the power and ground on the simulator and measure the voltage on each white wire. You'll see they both have the same frequency and voltage oscillation. If you have both bank 2 sensors installed then cut the wires at the ECU and connect each bank 2 sensor wire to the O2 simulator. As long as there's a working heater you won't need to splice anything else. If one bank 2 sensor is missing then you'll need to cut that missing one's heater wire and splice it to a working heater.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent, thanks for the info.. Do you see any issues with me have a O2 sim designed for 04+ and not my 01?

I may be speaking prematurely and going from memory, but I believe one of the simulators signal wires is tapped into the wrong spot(and is actually mixed into a ECU pin where one of the SAFC wires goes to)..

What i'd like to do is simulate both the b1s2 and b2s2, eliminate the B2S1 by feeding B1S1's signal to it. Aswell as tapping all heater wires to B1S1's heater wire at the ECU.. So in the end, all I have are the B1S1 and the wideband sensors. This will leave me with a replacement B2S1 that I can use when B1S1 fails..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, for the threads sake, i'll update a bit..

Tapping B2S1 signal and heater wires into B1S1 works just fine.. I also left B1S2 alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts