Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I changed the original post to this.....

Bank 1 Sensor 1:
89465-53090 (2001) *
89465-53140 (2001) *
89465-53210 (02+) **

Bank 1 Sensor 2:
89465-53110 (2001) *
89465-53200 (02+) **

Bank 2 Sensor 1:
89465-53110 ?
89465-53200 ?
89465-53190 (02+) **

Bank 2 Sensor 2:
89465-53120 (01) **
89465-53190 (02+) **
89465-53150 ?

Let me know if further corrections are needed.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
ok, Im lookin at Denso's website, and I got a question. they have three sensors listed, and we have 4 on the car (Im replacing all of them at the same time since I had the codes cleared for two of them a while back and I dont remember which ones). so which one do I need to buy two of...the second one? heres the part numbers THEY have and a link to the site:

234-4626 FRONT; Located at Cyl. 1-3
234-4630 FRONT; Located at Cyl. 4-6
234-4015 REAR

Denso automotive parts available online at DensoProducts.com

thanks

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Here's my problem: All sorts of codes (6 total...)
P0130 - B1S1 Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0133 - B1S1 Sensor Circuit Slow Response

P0141 - B1S2 Heater Circuit Malfunction

P0150 - B2S1 Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0153 - B2S1 Sensor Circuit Slow Response

P0161 - B2S2 Heater Circuit Malfunction

It seems to me like there's a pattern here - both upstream sensors show a malfunction and slow response. Both downstream sensors have a heater circuit malfunction... Could this be because of something else? The heaters have fuses, right? Does anyone know where they are on this car?

I don't want to replace 4 oxygen sensors if I don't have to. I got the car a year and a half ago, and it had O2 codes then (less, forget which ones), at 126k. It has 172k now, and the 6 codes. I'm just afraid replacing all 4 sensors is a waste if I don't have to... ya know?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hello everyone. I am a little worried. I brought a used IS300 with 65K miles and week later (around 500 miles after) my CEL and Trac off came on. I went to auto zone, got the error code: P0420. Then I got on here and learned sometimes the sensor gives a bad code, so I reset the car (removed the - from battery) then my CEL +Trac were gone. After 2 weeks (about 700 miles later) my brother put in the wrong gas and the CEL and Trac came back on, so I reset the car again (removed the - for 15min). The CEL and Trac turned off. A week later my CEL and Trac came back on for the third time (I know she is being a bit**). Now I thought I definitely have a problem with my cats. I called up the dealer, he said to bring it in and it might be covered under warranty. The lights have been on for 2 days but tonight on the way home, when I turned the car on, my CEL and tarc light were not on. Drove back home and no lights came on. What the hell is going on? Should I be worried? Has this happened to anyone else? any help will be great. Thanks

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Hello everyone. I am a little worried. I brought a used IS300 with 65K miles and week later (around 500 miles after) my CEL and Trac off came on. I went to auto zone, got the error code: P0420. Then I got on here and learned sometimes the sensor gives a bad code, so I reset the car (removed the - from battery) then my CEL +Trac were gone. After 2 weeks (about 700 miles later) my brother put in the wrong gas and the CEL and Trac came back on, so I reset the car again (removed the - for 15min). The CEL and Trac turned off. A week later my CEL and Trac came back on for the third time (I know she is being a bit**). Now I thought I definitely have a problem with my cats. I called up the dealer, he said to bring it in and it might be covered under warranty. The lights have been on for 2 days but tonight on the way home, when I turned the car on, my CEL and tarc light were not on. Drove back home and no lights came on. What the hell is going on? Should I be worried? Has this happened to anyone else? any help will be great. Thanks
That's not exactly an oxygen sensor problem... Or at least it may not be... This is copied/pasted. The codes above are the o2 sensor codes...

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

What does that mean?

The catalytic converter has an oxygen sensor in front and behind it. When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.
Causes

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
* Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
* Retarded spark timing
* The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings

Possible Solutions

Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 code include:

* Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
* Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
* Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
* Replace the catalytic converter

One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's not exactly an oxygen sensor problem... Or at least it may not be... This is copied/pasted. The codes above are the o2 sensor codes...

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

What does that mean?

The catalytic converter has an oxygen sensor in front and behind it. When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.
Causes

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
* Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
* Retarded spark timing
* The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings

Possible Solutions

Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 code include:

* Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
* Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
* Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
* Replace the catalytic converter

One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.
Well as off now the CEL +Trac are off. Should I try to figure out why the lights CAME on? or should i forget the whole thing and hope the lights stay off.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
I'd say see if you can pull any old codes off it... but it's easy to do if you have another IS that you can swap parts with... that's cheaper than goin to the stealership for a diagnosis and certainly cheaper than throwing unneeded parts at it.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Ok, so I broke down and got 4 new o2 sensors... They ended up only costing 39.23 or something super cheap... for DENSO sensors! I got the universal ones from densoproducts.com, and soldered them into the factory harnesses. Three of the four sensors are installed and are working fine (tested ok with obdii scanner) but the B2S1 sensor is located in a pretty odd spot... B2S1, the sensor for cylinders 4, 5 & 6, before the cat on the manifold. There's just no friggen room for tools to get in there...

MY QUESTION:

Is there an easy way to get at that sensor in a driveway? Does the manifold have to get dropped? Anyone successfully removed this sensor in a driveway withoutr taking half the friggen car apart? lol any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good thread, Quick newbie question if someone doesnt mind answering it, Recently got the 0420 and 0420pd cel, thats what my reader says, how do i find out which sensor/s is/are bad?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

I own a 2002 IS300. I got a CEL on my dash too. Checked the codes said it was bank 2 sensor 1. Got the OEM sensor from Lexus, replaced it and reset the computer. I turned my car on, no CEL. After 10 mins of driving, the CEL came on? So I took if to a family mechanic he scanned it and it said bank 2 sensor 1. But i just replaced it and the CEL is still on on? what is wrong with my car? HELP!

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I has used seafoam engine cleaner in my gas tank. long story short it clogged my cat, the one that is closest to the back. so i had it cut out as a temp. fix and had a straight pipe welded in. where can i find a used or cheap cat so my CEL will stay turned off?

61 - 80 of 259 Posts