Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is.

An MKIV Twin turbo supra is overheating and is in my garage for a little TLC.

There is a new radiater installed.
I just installed a new thermostat.

Weird stuff.
1. I drained the coolant from the bottom of the radiater and it was bright green fluid.
2. After replacing the thermostat and before refilling with coolant, the coolant reservoir was red and FULL. Even when the car ran for a few minutes the reservoir was still FULL.
3. Coolant reservoir was Red.
4. I poured about a gallon of green coolant/water into the radiater directly and ran the car with the radiater cap open.
5. Reservoir still bright red. Still Full.
6. Car still running hot.

Does anyone know what's wrong?
I thought it could be the water pump, but someone said either the water pump works fine, or it leaks...and there are no leaks.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
same thing as i told you before, blown headgasket

toyota makes toyota red, some jackass mixed with with regular green

i would bet that the person who owns the mk4 just bought it within 2 months, and that the person that sold it to them knew the headgasket was bad, as they kept having to put antifreeze into it, when it would overheat because the compression in the cylinder would push the antifreeze into the overflow and then out of the overflows dump (when it is too full) causing the car to over heat. because of this they sold the car, and your friend is now SOL

hopefully i am not right, but i bet i am

-gte

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IS300GTE said:

i would bet that the person who owns the mk4 just bought it within 2 months, and that the person that sold it to them knew the headgasket was bad, as they kept having to put antifreeze into it, when it would overheat because the compression in the cylinder would push the antifreeze into the overflow and then out of the overflows dump (when it is too full) causing the car to over heat. because of this they sold the car, and your friend is now SOL

-gte
Touche...

We ran the car, then opened the radiater cap while it was running so the coolant bubbled over. Then ran the car some more and then the coolant dropped after a few minutes. We put some more in and now at least it seems like the coolant flows.

The owner said he got the head gasket done about a year ago and cost him 1500. Ouch.

I think the thermostat may have fixed it.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
we shall see

how long has he owned the car <two months?

i hope the thermostat did fix it, you possibly may have to push air out of the system, but if it still happens in a couple of days, bad times, bad times!

-gte

SophieSleeps said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte
Touche...

We ran the car, then opened the radiater cap while it was running so the coolant bubbled over. Then ran the car some more and then the coolant dropped after a few minutes. We put some more in and now at least it seems like the coolant flows.

The owner said he got the head gasket done about a year ago and cost him 1500. Ouch.

I think the thermostat may have fixed it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
check the oil. sometimes with a blown head gasket, you can get water into the oil. see if the oil looks like chocolate pudding.
MMmmmmmm puuuuuuuuudding. :p

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Is there a air bleeder screw at one of the top coolant hose connectors?

Prob have air in the cooling system that can't get out. Air pocket stuck at the top and blocking water flow.

My BMW and My dad's 944 both required air bleeding in the cooling system after a coolant flush.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check back with him today..

And the car has 150k on it.
head gasket replaced about a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
575 Posts
what yellowis5spd is saying is true, they should be a bleeder screw some where close to the termostat. start the car open the screw and watch for when the coolant start to come out at a steady flow, you should see some bubbles first.

hope this helps

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2pac said:
what yellowis5spd is saying is true, they should be a bleeder screw some where close to the termostat. start the car open the screw and watch for when the coolant start to come out at a steady flow, you should see some bubbles first.

hope this helps
We ended up doing it with the radiater cap. Thanks though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts