Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on average my outside temp guage reads about 3-5 degrees higher then it really is. In the hot summer months here in AZ I sometimes would get into my car and it would display 128, but after 2-3 minutes of driving it would be back down into the 110's.

Have others noticed this?
Is there any kind of software update to fix this?
or
Is there a way to adjust it so that it will show 3-5 degress less then it shows now, therefore making it more acurate for me?

any thoughts?

Aaron
2002 Black Onyx IS-300

·
Registered
712 Posts
The temp sensor is behind the front bumper. When the car sits idle, it is exposed to temp. extremes. Once you are underway, it will readjust itself to a more accurate temp. When my car sits in the garage over night, it always reads warmer than the outdoor temp.

Just a few minutes of driving should should return an accurate reading.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Hold a thermometer under your car with hot pavement and you will get an innacurate reading as well.

There is no software involved. Its a thermometer...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Well...how do you people know which temperature is more accurate? Measuring equipment has a certain degree of uncertainy based on the methods it uses to make the measurement.

·
Registered
960 Posts
is300wk said:
^^^ All True. But today, I noticed it blinking, do you guys know why it does that? I'm too lazy to check the manual.
Ice warning?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
At 37 degrees it blinks to warn you that freezing road conditions may be ahead.

Read your manuals people, there is a lot of good info in there.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
OK what happens is that the thermostat is in the bumper it reads the temperature. Now when you car is parked it starts to read the asphalt temperature , which when standing still in a parking lot all day can get very hot. So when the car is under way that is when you get a true temp reading.

:chill:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
HoustonLex said:

It blinks???? Cool !!

<---Waiting for freezing temperatures in Atlanta just to see it blink.... :wink:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Dont look at is as a outside weather thermometer. Look at it as a "how how the car is".
Or a "how hot it feels"
those things can't be 100 % accurate.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
HoustonLex said:

does it get that cold in houston?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts