Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was an IS200 in HK. (You can still bearly tell from the rim and its taillight)
The car was doing a highspeed cornering and oversteering was believed the cause of the accident
gee.. that's the silver i'm going to get

·
Registered
226 Posts
wheres the bigger version? note to self: do not try in the 300. I wonder how fast they were going... how many times did that thing flip?

[This message has been edited by Brandon (edited June 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
424 Posts
http://www.appledaily.com.hk/page/20000607/newx101.htm

Though the text is in Chinese, the diagram does explain a bit.

After it hit the fence on the right lane (the slow lane), it turned upside-down. Then it slided, and hit the other fence on the fast lane. The whole action is like a "Z" and the distance travelled between the fences was 10meter.

The driver was suspected speeding at around 100km/h (62mph) in a 50km/h -80km/h zone.

That's horrible..driver was dead at the scene..

AndyL

·
Registered
994 Posts
60 in a 30 mph zone isn't all that fast. I wonder if thicker sheet metal or BMW's head protection system would have made a difference ?

--k

·
Registered
424 Posts
Maybe. But the head protection system may be activated even by a small bump. There was a recall last year, see below :
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:pASSIVE RESTRAINT:AIR BAG:SIDE DOOR
Manufacturer: BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE
Mfg. Campaign #: 99V063000
Year: 1999
Make: BMW
Model: 328I
Potential Number of Units Affected: 34698
Manufactured From: JUN 1998 To: MAR 1999
Year of Recall: '99
Type of Report: Vehicle
Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. These vehicles are built with a side air bag system consisting of door-mounted
thorax air bags (rear door air bags are optional), a Head Protection System (HPS) for front occupants, a central
electronic sensor and diagnostic system, left and right satellite impact sensors, and associated wiring. This system is
unduly sensitive to certain non-crash impacts, such as contacting large potholes or curbs at substantial speed.

This could cause the side air bag and HPS to deploy without an actual side crash. In addition, the Battery Safety
Terminal (BST) would also activate, disconnecting the starter cable from the battery. In this case, vehicle electrical
system would continue to operate and the engine would continue to rub, but after stopping, could not be restarted.

Dealers will reprogram the central computer control module that regulates the performance of all of the vehicle's
occupant protection systems. Owner notification began April 30, 1999. Owners who take their vehicles to an
authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should
contact BMW at 1-800-831-1117. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety
Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
By the looks of the damage, I doubt either of those would've helped.

Originally posted by chiem:

60 in a 30 mph zone isn't all that fast. I wonder if thicker sheet metal or BMW's head protection system would have made a difference ?

--k

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure how the HK goverment mark their speed limits but here in the states, you can almost do double the posted speed limit (local streets, not highways) and still be safe from spinning out.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
No kidding, S Flavor. 100 KPH doesn't seem to make sense. I can do that turn in my 53 Packard at that speed.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Actually, the roads in HK haven't been too well designed until only in the recent years.

Many curves are 'unbanked', some even banked outward.....Supposedly the Government said that drivers would drive slower with such 'design.' (from many years ago)

Especially with that highway where the accident happened, there are so many heavy trucks and big-riggs on it that it's not even funny.

This particular roadway was one of the first so called 'highways' in Hong Kong. Almost all of the curves on that roadway wasn't banked correctly. At first the speed limit on it was 40 MPH (about 70 kph). Later on they raised it to 50 MPH (80 kph). Because of the poor design, believe it or not, some cars have difficulties making a couple of turns at speed limit!!! (Talking about the ultra cheap Japanese cars)

I actually had the experience of driving on that road lots of times while I was working back there .....and believe me.....people drive crazy over there ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT. They have their cars modified so much that all it takes is a pair of wings and they can virtually take off!!!! HOWEVER, most of those drivers do NOT have the necessary skills to handle the 'machinery', and that's when it strikes.....

But again, doing twice the speed limit with the IS on that road is fine......it's actually how they 'yanked' the car across lanes and stuff that causes loss of traction.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's a good one. We also have a similar web page for Toronto highways as well.

AndyL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts