Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a high school senior and I was wondering what type of careers there are avaiable for the automotive field. I don't mean a mechanic or someone who works at local shop, but like someone who works at Toyota, Lexus, etc. I don't mean as a salesmen or someone who works at dealerships either. I may like to be someone working "behind the scenes," designing, testing and creating the cars.

The problem I can't find that much info on these people because they are not often recognized. What are these jobs "called"? I do know that I love cars and want to be around them a lot when I grow up.

I also desire that the job be somewhat lucrative, like eventually 100K per year? Thought I really like cars, I dont think its a fair trade off to be constantly around cars and then not be able to afford some nice ones, you know what I mean?

I was hoping some of you here could shed some insight on this for me, like what would I have to major in college, etc. I'm thinking some mechanical engineering with maybe some computer stuff??

I really have no idea about this, please help.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you want to look at careers with toyota/lexus, go to http://www.toyota.com
and then click on "news/corporate info", and then click on "jobs". They got info on employment opportunities, job descriptions, and college recruiting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
...majors that can help you get into an automotive career would ME(mechanical engineering), EE(electronic engineering), CE(computer engineering), CS(computer science), and maybe IS(information systems). I hope this helps, but don't quote me on the IS major though (it's what I majored in but no automotive opportunites have arisen), a double major like say ME+CS would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
This is kind of long, but I think you should read.

You probably have the same interested as me, therefore I have a few info you can use. Since you are just in high school, you have plenty of time to prepare. I am a master student right now majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and specialize in Fluid Dynamics, so I have some good info for you.
The job you are looking for is usually called the design engineer. Basically, an engineering firm normally have three type of people working for them, the drafter, the engineers, and the manfucturer. For an automotive company, the most responsibility is put on the Mechanical Engineers (ME). This is the reason why. Most people think ME only deal with machine parts, but in reality we deal with control system (like Electrical Engineers), Fluid Dynamics (like Aerospace Engineers), Combustion, Heat Transfer, Material Science, Machine Theory (linkage and stuff), and etc. Basically ME is a combination of all Engineering majors and therefore if you have a ME degree you usually can go take on any job you want.
Anyway, back to the automotive stuff. I suggest you major in ME, and then depending on which subject you like, you can then specialize in that field. If you want to start right now, you can call up any racing teams that's around you, and volunteer to help. It is alot of work, but you will get to know cars really well afterward. If you do want to work specifically for Toyota, they do have an Associate Engineer program in which they will place you in different position every six months and that will last for two years. At the end of the two years term, they will then decide which department is best for you and place you in there. But I do believe you need at least a bachelor degree from college.
Lastly, if you are really into cars and want to learn more, plan to join the Formula SAE team when you arrive in college. It is a great opportunity to learn about everything on the car, since your task is to design the car from scratch and then build the car to go race. You also have to learn how to design the car so it will work well in the market. Therefore, you learn how to be an engineer in the real world (not just sitting in a lab or classroom writing equations).
Hopefully this helps, if not, let me know and I'll help you more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts