Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I personally like the S2K better because of its engine. I think S2K drives more like a go-kart, and if that is true (I haven't driven either) than I'll definitely pick that. Plus the fact that S2K is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I like both. Last night I raced an S2000 on the highway. We were neck and neck.

I probably would pick the M Roadster, because I personally like torque, which is something the S2000 lacks plenty of. Thus making a chore out of normal city driving.

I've heard you need to keep the tach reving high in order to continuously have power there.

------------------
'01 Audi TT 225hp Quattro Coupe - Raven Black - Bose - Premium Package - Premium Grin

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
My brother originally set out to get an S2000 as his next car. But due to our flack with Honda and the fact that the S2000's were commanding such a sticker markup, he instead got a 2000 M Coupe. He couldn't be happier. I would, anyday, drive the M Coupe as a daily driver before the S2000. There is no doubt the S2000 has a phenomenal engine, but its power takes work to be extracted. The M Coupe has torque everywhere. Doesn't matter what gear your in. Hell, you could lug it around in third all day...

Now, after seeing some S2000's at autocross, I would venture to say it handles better than the M Coupe, which is also heavier. Still, nothing like torque down low...

------------------
Tony
'01 Stock Spectra Blue
'94 12psi Turbo Miata

·
Registered
81 Posts
Personally I think the S2000 is a great car, but I would get the M roadster. The M has the torque and is safer IMHO. It cost more, but it is more of a car, too.

When the M gets the newer 315hp (Detuned M3 engine), I think it will clear that the M is a better car.

But for those who is on a tight budget, the S2000 is a nice little rocket....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being a person who loves torque, I look at it like this: the S2000 takes SKILL to drive fast. I was surprised at some of the responses saying it's too much work to drive around. I figured you guys were enthusiasts. I've heard that "no torque" complaint from people who drive non-sporty sedans mostly.

Not many people know how to drive this car. The thing I like about it is that it's pure race car. I agree with Eye6 that the S2000 would tear up your Audi TT Quattro (the 225 you own). It's simply not a comparison in speed, but good race. The other dude didn't know how to drive. Sorry, but stock-to-stock, those are the facts. It's also fact that the S2000 will lose to the M Roadster in the 1/4 mile; however, quickly after the 1/4, the S2000 will definitely pull away. Reasons? The M roadster's drag coefficient is horrible even with the top up. The S2000s gearing is VERY aggressive.

Outside of the Bay Area, the S2000s are rare. The M Roadsters and Z3s are everywhere. 99 percent of the public can't tell the difference between the two.

I'll have to go test drive the M sometime soon. The S2000 definitely handles better and have shown to have quicker lap times in those magazine tests.

These are my positives and negatives. The M Roadster's definitely got the blingin' name. The S2000 will have a much better resale value.

[This message has been edited by SpaceNeedle (edited January 28, 2001).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by SpaceNeedle:
Being a person who loves torque, I look at it like this: the S2000 takes SKILL to drive fast. I was surprised at some of the responses saying it's too much work to drive around. I figured you guys were enthusiasts. I've heard that "no torque" complaint from people who drive non-sporty sedans mostly.
I certainly consider myself an entusiast. And driving a NA Miata is certainly an exercise in "keeping the revs up". Minivans and SUVs can beat a stock Miata off the line without much effort.

If we're talking about acceleration in the S2000, it doesn't take much skill, just the nerve and willingness to keep the tach near 8k, NOT something I like to do in daily traffic.

------------------
Tony
'01 Stock Spectra Blue
'94 12psi Turbo Miata

·
Registered
112 Posts
S2000 is a decent car indeed. But it takes skill to drive it fast. The only way to get S2000 fast is drop the clutch at 7k, and DO NOT slip the clutch, let it engage as fast as you can. 0-60 time for S2K can vary any where from 5.3 sec up to 11 sec depends on how well you launch it.

And YES, in city drive, you need to keep the rev high to make the power flow, which is usually well into 4k-6k rpm range.

As for M-Roadster/Coupe, it needs a sixth gear!!!

If it's going to be your daily driver and/or share 50% of the drive time with your other car(s), and planned to have it for more then 5 years, get M-Roadster/M-Coupe

If you buy it purely as a weekend toy, and will resell it within next 3 years, get S2000....

P.S. S2000 sells have been decline in Vancouver, many dealers are selling it at sticker, or sometimes, a tick lower than sticker. How is S2000 selling in your area??

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. THAT CHEAP up in Vancouver, BC? I'm from Seattle so maybe I should consider buying Canadian.

It's well over MSRP here. Lowest I've heard it sell for is $36K.

A normal launch nets a 6.3 second 0-60mph time.

Could you give me leads on MSRP or a tick below S2000s up in Vancouver, BC?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I would definately get the S2000 over the M Roadster. First reason is because engine has waaaay better technology. Second being I think it looks better. And if your complaining about Torque? why don't you just put a turbo on it. You'll still have money left over. Or supercharge if you are too scared of going too fast.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
395 Posts
Did you ever get the Honda thing straightened out? Just from reading a couple of stories about it, I would think that you guys didn't do much that could be complained about...

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
if it was strictly between those two, then i'd get an S2K, but if not, id buy an MCoupe

------------------
'01 IS300
'91 NSX
'95 Maxima

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I was in the market for a car I looked at the S2000, M Roadster, M Coupe and Boxster.

After my first visit to the Honda dealer I was immediately turned off by the snobs that marked it up $10K (plus b.s. options that added up to another $4K). The car was roped off and you were not even allowed to touch the car. The sad thing is I walked in with cash in hand, it was probably only a matter of a test drive and they had a sale. This was over a year ago.

Last week I was in Davis and the Honda dealer had a Yellow S2000 (yellow is my favorite color). I went to look at it and still the stick was marked up $5K (and more b.s. options that added up to another $5K). While I was looking at the car one of the sales man came by to tell me not to sit in the car!! I said excuse me?

I didn't want to be hassled when I'm looking at a car. I also don't want to be told that I can't sit in a car that is stickered at $35K. It's not like it's a Ferrari or Porsche Turbo.

Now when I went to look at the Boxster I was pretty much sold but after adding the options that I could not live without the price came up to about $59K which was too much for me.

The BMW dealer was the best, he just pretty much gave me the keys to the cars and said let me know if you have any questions. He even suggested I drive the Z3 2.3 and 2.8 to compare against the M

Having said that I ended up with a M Coupe, but had the Honda dealer not been so snobbish, I'd most likely be driving an Silver S2000 right now.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
um..whatever. the S2000 uses VTEC because honda doesn't want to use higher displacement and they need a way to make power, just increase displacement please. vtec engagement could stir up the car's balance in a turn. and a turbo? are you nuts? money left over? you'd have to be crazy to put just a turbo on the s2000 without building up the bottom end of its engine. its already pushing 120hp per liter which is phenomenal, but also VERY high stress, adding a few psi of boost could shorten your engine life DRASTICALLY

Originally posted by lilaznboi:
I would definately get the S2000 over the M Roadster. First reason is because engine has waaaay better technology. Second being I think it looks better. And if your complaining about Torque? why don't you just put a turbo on it. You'll still have money left over. Or supercharge if you are too scared of going too fast.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by SpaceNeedle:
Wow. THAT CHEAP up in Vancouver, BC? I'm from Seattle so maybe I should consider buying Canadian.

It's well over MSRP here. Lowest I've heard it sell for is $36K.

A normal launch nets a 6.3 second 0-60mph time.

Could you give me leads on MSRP or a tick below S2000s up in Vancouver, BC?
There is one 2000 S2K, Red/Black in Richmond Automall(Richmond Honda), for $48,900 CDN, or roughly $32,600 US, which is brand new, but dealer wants cash for it.

Also, there is Middle Gate Honda(on Kingsway, Burnaby), which sells S2Ks, fully loaded, with floor mats, front lip, rear spoiler, black emblems, deflectors(which is standard on 2001 S2Ks as of what I was told), titanium shift knob, for a tick over $40,000 US included taxes(17%, in BC).

P.S. Are we comparing the S2K with new M-Roadster/Coupe, or the "old" one?? If you are comparing with the old one, then go for S2K....
Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

[This message has been edited by AKRY (edited January 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I agree with everyone that M coupe/roadster is better suited for daily driving. I should have ask you that before I said S2K is the choice. I want to get a S2K because I want a weekend car, but I agree with everyone that there is no way I am driving that car around daily.
I have driven two cars that lack low end torque before (95 Celica GT and 96 Eclipse GSX), so I know what lack of torque is like but I also have way to work around it (at least on the GSX). I actually think IS is a bit weak on the torque in the low end compare to that of GS300, can anyone confirm this? I think the engine may have been tune different, or is it just me?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
23 Participants
Unicron
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing