Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

My windshielf was hit by a rock on the 605 FWY two days ago. The rock flew and hit the front windshield of my IS300. It cracked about 7 inches. The place I called told me that the original glass w/installation will cost about 450 while aftermarket is only about 200. Does anyone of you know if aftermarket one is as good as the orignal in terms of durability and noise supression???

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Sorry to hear of the crappy luck, I hate it when that happens!

In terms of windshields, the OEM is ALWAYS better than any aftermarket.

Aftermarket ones usually crack much easier and are not tempered as good as OEM, if at all in some cases.

If I were you I'd go with OEM. I'm sure its worth it. They're more expensive for a reason, not just because it "LEXUS". It's true with mfg.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree, go with OEM...I was once told that the other glass won't seal as well as the OEM and will hear more road/wind noise...i'd hate to see you spend $200 and hate it...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
doesn't your insurance cover glass? in MA insurance companies have to cover all glass...i remember last summer 5 days before i left for college i was gettin outta the movie theaters and there was a bug on my windshield so i punched it....i must've hit a funny spot in the window cuz i spider-webbed it about 8" in diameter....my insurance paid for it, no questions asked, no surcharge...check to see if yours does too

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I appreciated for all the inputs. The reason that I am trying to save money is because my insurance deductible is like one thousand dollars...I contact the glass place, and they told me the original glass is like 500, USA made is like 300, and the China made is like 180 dollars. I told them to go ahead and put the USA made one...is that good compared to the orignal ones??? anyone knows??? Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey, if u live in SoCal... u can call a shop in Westminster. I forgot the name of the shop (maybe something like Dee's windshield repair) They can repair a crack on windshield, and they have been doing like a foot long crack. The rapair cost like $50-100, and your windshield will looks like new.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i had exacly same think happand to me on night of 4th of july but in my luck it was very big rock so i had to change front windshiled,next morning i called the biggiest wholesale distrubitor for windows and stuff they told me there is no aftermarket windshields for IS300 so i end up putting OEM one and let me tell you its not cheap run me $790 installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts