Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So anyone with this swap done care to weigh in? Not sure how I want to go for this. For now it is stock turbos. I know I want to go to a straight pipe but how about downpipes? I see a few for the SC300 but can't find any clear answers for the IS300. Mine will be done next week so I'm trying to get some ideas/opinions on options out there. Not gonna bother with a turbo manifold/headers till I can afford to go to a nice single turbo setup.

Edit

Ran across this on eBay as it is for the IS300 1JZ VVTi swap. Any one got any input on this?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163819543498

·
Registered
469 Posts
So anyone with this swap done care to weigh in? Not sure how I want to go for this. For now it is stock turbos. I know I want to go to a straight pipe but how about downpipes? I see a few for the SC300 but can't find any clear answers for the IS300. Mine will be done next week so I'm trying to get some ideas/opinions on options out there. Not gonna bother with a turbo manifold/headers till I can afford to go to a nice single turbo setup.

Edit

Ran across this on eBay as it is for the IS300 1JZ VVTi swap. Any one got any input on this?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163819543498

I dont have a 1J swap, but I know a bit about them. If it’s a VVTi, it’s a single turbo, not twins. You wrote “turbos”, so if it has twins then it’s a nonvvti. Coulda just been a typo - but dont want you to buy the wrong part.

Anyways, I think that downpipe you posted would work just fine, you’d just need a mating flange to put on your midpipe. It may want to overboost too, since you will have deleted the stock cat pipe. The mkiv twin turbo would overboost in that catless situation, and you could get a restrictor ring to mitigate that issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a 1J swap, but I know a bit about them. If it’s a VVTi, it’s a single turbo, not twins. You wrote “turbos”, so if it has twins then it’s a nonvvti. Coulda just been a typo - but dont want you to buy the wrong part.

Anyways, I think that downpipe you posted would work just fine, you’d just need a mating flange to put on your midpipe. It may want to overboost too, since you will have deleted the stock cat pipe. The mkiv twin turbo would overboost in that catless situation, and you could get a restrictor ring to mitigate that issue.
Thanks and it was my phone adding the "s" I didn't proof read as I should have. It is a single turbo and VVTi for sure. This is the first car I have ever had worth building so it's for sure a learning experience for sure but fun.

What I am going to do after quiet a bit of reading last night is go ahead and get a top mount turbo manifold to mate with the downpipe. Think it will be better in the long run. I'm not looking to make huge power ATM as this is my first boosted car I got some learning to do. For now I ordered CT15B w/ Garrett 60-1 to upgrade the turbo.

From here I am going to get a turbo top mount manifold and down pipe but I found a solution with a high flow cat. I am going to register the car in SC so I don't have to worry about emissions.

The guy that did my swap has already upgraded the fuel pump and I found some drop in 850cc injectors. They had a 1000cc but as I said I'm not going for huge power. I'm going more for a fun & reliable build. I am going to shoot for 350-375hp range. Which is more then enough for now to get my feet wet as this will be a daily for a bit.

I bought an SC400 and setup to swap to a manual transmission as I love the sound the 1UZ makes but decided to settle on this IS and focus my time and money there. So thank you for your time and input helping some noob that is just getting into the tuner scene. I haven't cut any corners on this as even the wiring harness I paid extra for one so everything is pretty much PnP to avoid issues with splicing the harness.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yeah just read/research a lot otherwise you’ll buy parts you don’t need/wish you’d gone bigger/etc. I wouldn’t dick with drop-in injectors. Stock they’re side feeds like the 2J and you’ll be pretty limited with selection. Buy an aftermarket rail for a couple hundred and choose whatever size/brand top feed injector you want as long as it’s 14mm. Not really hating on sidefeeds but the good ones (sard), are expensive and you may as well spend it on something modern like Injector Dynamics, FIC, etc. Something that’s been flowtested and matched.

Honestly for that power goal, you may see about using stock 2jzgte 440s. I dunno if they’ll fit but they’d be cheap from somebody upgrading to aftermarket for their 2J.

I wouldn’t mess with a cat myself, and I wouldn’t change turbos either. You can probably hit that hp goal with a bit bigger injectors and a boost controller. Drive it like that, then see if you want more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah just read/research a lot otherwise you’ll buy parts you don’t need/wish you’d gone bigger/etc. I wouldn’t dick with drop-in injectors. Stock they’re side feeds like the 2J and you’ll be pretty limited with selection. Buy an aftermarket rail for a couple hundred and choose whatever size/brand top feed injector you want as long as it’s 14mm. Not really hating on sidefeeds but the good ones (sard), are expensive and you may as well spend it on something modern like Injector Dynamics, FIC, etc. Something that’s been flowtested and matched.

Honestly for that power goal, you may see about using stock 2jzgte 440s. I dunno if they’ll fit but they’d be cheap from somebody upgrading to aftermarket for their 2J.

I wouldn’t mess with a cat myself, and I wouldn’t change turbos either. You can probably hit that hp goal with a bit bigger injectors and a boost controller. Drive it like that, then see if you want more.

Thanks for the input I'll give it a go and see if I am happy with it. From what I have read the 1JZ is typically 280hp so I'm not looking for to much more. Gotta drive it back from Tallahassee so I'll have a good 7-8 hour drive day one to get a feel of what I want from that point.

Edit

The reason I was thinking of getting to Megan downpipe was the overboost. And the turbo upgrade kit I was looking at can make 400hp which will be more then enough if I want some more power. I just don't have the cash for transmission upgrade just yet. But I am not happy with the exhaust as it sits. Anyhow I'm gonna go pick it up in a few days. I can go over it more at that point but I thank you for your input. Having fun kinda planning what I intend to do. My SC400 makes about 275 and I'm pretty happy with that as this isn't gonna be a track car at all just a fun street car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd buy this for the stock turbo, or rebuilt stock turbo.

Looks like it will make ~300whp with basic mods and more boost would push it higher. I'd also look at the Greddy Evolution RS exhaust, one of very few 3" exhausts for this car.

I have 3" straight pipe on the car now. Running AEM 340 high flow pump. As waiting 550cc Bosh injectors with a fuel rail. From there I got a CT15B w/ Garrett 60-1 on the way as well with an adjustable wastegate. And I was going to grab an AEM v2 but went with a Greedy E-Manage UlUltimate as it comes with a 1JZ PnP kit.

All in all I think this should allow me to make 400hp reliably. My focus is a street build with reliability first and power second. Now this is my first boosted car so anyone please feel free to chime in on this.

After I get all that I plan on a Greedy BOV and turbo timer as I bought the HKS kit for the timer. I have spent the extra cash for any kits to make it PnP for the piggyback ECU and timer. I don't like splicing wires in case I want to revert or change easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
atreyu187
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing