Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys own a optima battery? Which color top is the best to go with for our cars(red,blue,or yellow)? Thanx for any help!

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
MY2J said:
Any of you guys own a optima battery? Which color top is the best to go with for our cars(red,blue,or yellow)? Thanx for any help!
Look on the optima site it gives the application for each color or pretty close to it

blue is for marine (I have seen them in cars :lol: )

Red :STARTER
Yellow: DEEP CYCLE
(I don't remember off the top of my head)

One is a deep cycle and one is a starter

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/brand.html

Also google.com helps :cool:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I had the yellow one because I used 2 have a juice sucking system in my previous 01 auto ggp n now stock radio with a amplified sub. THe yellow or red should be fine just depends on ur needs . THe blue is for marine application but u can use it in a car.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
id go with red top, i have it, and i never had a problem.

although, i recently got a brand new braille battery. they sent it to me to tes tit out. its really tiny. like 1/3 the size of a normal battery. and only weighs 10 lbs. and has same cranking amps and what not. im goign to try it out this spring.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
fyeung04msm said:
Hey MIkefate I heard of those batteries n they r light weight for weight savings on ur car.
yeah, thats why i figure ill try it out. i am a little skeptical becuase of the size. i cant imagine it having the same cranking amps or anything

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yeah I saw in my last issue of import tuner mag n it said 10lbs vs. ur typical 30-45 lb battery n less weight= better handling n recommended 4 racing applications.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
fyeung04msm said:
Yeah I saw in my last issue of import tuner mag n it said 10lbs vs. ur typical 30-45 lb battery n less weight= better handling n recommended 4 racing applications.

really? is there a review or anything? i ended up getting one directly from them, i guess promotional sort of thing. the guy told em they are normally jus tunder $200 bucks.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
I have an optima Yellow top battery... The Gell Cell technology is pretty good and the battery is less prone to dying when the car sits for prolonged periods of time... BUT when they start to die.. THEY DIE...

i think my yellow top has seen the end of its life..

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
mikefate said:
yeah, thats why i figure ill try it out. i am a little skeptical becuase of the size. i cant imagine it having the same cranking amps or anything

My friend has one of those in his V8 powered drag car. If it cranks that over I don't tihnk you will have a problem cranking over your 3.0 =].

I have a Yellow top optima battery in my second car. I bought the battery in 1997 and the thing still works great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
May I suggest an Oddesey battery instead. I have one of these in my NSX and they kick a$$. Very light, super small, have plenty of cranking power, and are pretty cheap if you know where to buy them from. If you are a speed freak, think of a light battery as free HP. Lighter car = Faster car.

If you live in a really cold climate, they may not be the best. And if you don't drive the car often you will need a battery tender to keep the battery topped off. I drive that car maybe once or twice a week, and in the winter, perhaps once or twice a month, so that is a necessary for me. And if you are a stereo nut, this is also not the best battery as they don't have a ton of reserve.

I got the PC680 which has at non-freezing temperatures 680 cranking amps. COLD Cranking Amps, which most batteries are measured by are meaningless to most california residents, but in other parts of the country, it will make a difference.

Here is where I got mine from:
http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.asp?params=batteries/SLA/1/Hawker/PC680T/SL105/37L105S4

This comes with the battery terminals.

The only downside? You will likely have to fabricate your own mounting bracket. You can buy one here:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=166

If you need a battery tender, get the 1.5 amp one listed here:
http://www.rjays.com/Rjays_chargers/charger_main-1.htm

Good Luck, HTH.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
I have an optima Yellow top battery... The Gell Cell technology is pretty good and the battery is less prone to dying when the car sits for prolonged periods of time... BUT when they start to die.. THEY DIE...

I also have yellow top and after an accident that the car just been sitting for about 3-4 weeks the bat will drain, but it takes 2-3 days of running time to get it to full charge again!
I felt like my bat were gone also until I asked my friend who is an installer and that's what he told me and it's true.
After that 3rd day, it's back to normal.

And regard the color top- Blue(marine) is the best. Because it give out more amp. and it hold the charge longer, because of people don't ride their boat everyday.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
wat_it_IS said:
I also have yellow top and after an accident that the car just been sitting for about 3-4 weeks the bat will drain, but it takes 2-3 days of running time to get it to full charge again!
I felt like my bat were gone also until I asked my friend who is an installer and that's what he told me and it's true.
After that 3rd day, it's back to normal.

And regard the color top- Blue(marine) is the best. Because it give out more amp. and it hold the charge longer, because of people don't ride their boat everyday.

You do realize that the blue top batteries are the same as the red/yellow ones, the only difference is that they have marine style terminals.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
please ref my above post ^^ with links direct to the manuf. of the battery for answers

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
i have the red top... it's nice and crank faster with stock batt even after 2 yrs.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Malekreza11 said:

How long did it last you?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I just saw an ad for the Braille Lightweight Batteries in my Modified Mag. (Jan 06)

looks interesting.

www.brailleauto.com

I don't know. I drive my car daily in the spring/summer/fall.
but only about 3 times a month during winter. I wonder if this would work for me. I'm going to be in the market for a new battery soon.

What do you guys think?
Red Top? Yellow Top? Braille? Oddesey?

I think i'm going to get the "All-Season Braille Battery"

from their website:
"Braille Racing Battery B2015 All Season Lightweight
SKU: B2015

SPECIAL NO SHIPPING CHARGE FOR US RESIDENTS. GROUND SHIPPING ONLY.
It is no secret that the lightest car retains the advantage in virtually any motorsports competition because the lightest car accelerates quicker, apexes faster, and stops shorter than its competition.

Tipping the scales at a mere 15 lbs, this battery sheds 20-50 pounds off the front end of most vehicles. This results in a lower center of gravity and improved handling, especially when installed in conjunction with other proprietary lightweight parts engineered by Braille.

Not only are Braille No-Weight Batteries the only lightweight batteries designed specifically for automotive use, but the B2015 is also backed by Braille’s 2 year limited warranty. With all that, it’s no surprise that Braille batteries appear under the hoods of motorsports' top contenders."

not a big difference 11lbs or 15lbs. I would rather have the all season.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts