Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a mock-up I did with cardboard of some canards I plan to make:

Oh and it was raining, that's what's all over my car.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Painted the top bars graphite, and bottom red, doesn't look too bad in real life, but the iphone camera makes the red look super bright, which makes it look a little weird.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
The grille looks cool. Can you take pics of your car in the daytime?

Also are those openings on the side of the bumper that the canard is mounted too functional?

I can't remember seeing canards on an IS300 before. Also the race cars usually have 2 or 3 mounted on each side. And... they wrap around the front corner of the car.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
personally i wouldnt do it. the chargespeed front is plenty aggressive.
but if i was going to do it, it would angle it down more, so it flow with the line from the bottom of that opening.

something like this:

the red lines are to show the lines i was trying to follow/ flow with

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the sugestions, I mainly looking into doing canards and a splitter cause it's winter and I'm bored (and I can build them out of CF/Kevlar relatively cheap) I'll try to get some day shots of the grill with a real camera, the altezza emblem on it will likely be a lexus emblem by spring.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i really love canards and front spiltters and rear diffusers... its the love of JGTC cars.. but i think its a good mock up, i second the multi canard design, looks good w/ ur kit...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's prototype #2, still not sure if they're going to stay on or not but I'll give them a week or so and see how I feel. There are 4 layers of Carbon/Kevlar with single ply birch cores, they still need to be sanded and cleared if I decide to keep them, and I have to trim down the brackets a little too.

And yes my car is covered in salt, it's winter here and it happens.

Reactions: chrisridebike8

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Here's prototype #2, still not sure if they're going to stay on or not but I'll give them a week or so and see how I feel. There are 4 layers of Carbon/Kevlar with single ply birch cores, they still need to be sanded and cleared if I decide to keep them, and I have to trim down the brackets a little too.

http://www.mmoldschool.com/Canards2.jpg[iMG]

[IMG]http://www.mmoldschool.com/Canards.jpg[IMG]

And yes my car is covered in salt, it's winter here and it happens.[/QUOTE]

very nice. a bit too aggressive for me, but it looks good.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
nice. could you make me a pair for my stock bumper?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could look into it next time I have my stock bumper on the car, I'm a little pre-occupied at the moment though (other stuff I've started that I need to finish by the end of spring), so I probably wouldn't be able to get to it till late spring early summer. If there are any NE or Mid Atlantic meets we'll both be at we could talk more about it there.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
You want my opinion: a little too much, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
eh. i'd finish off the kit and get some decent wheels before messing with canards. and whats up with your grill?
I third this also,

Are you doing just out of boredom?

Do you really need them, are you tracking the car and want all that down-force?

If you like it go for it it but it seems a bit much, ig you have all this CF/Kevlar skill do some other mods ie. Headlight housing, double din dash kit, rear tail housing . . .

But if it looks good to you and you like it then dont listen to any of us

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A dash kit is on the list, not double din cause I'm single din now, I need somewhere to mount my Zeitronix Display so it'll go there. If I had a spare set of head light (or tails) I'd do them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts