Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The Alpine SPX series is made from ScanSpeak revalator components in the top models, I'm not sure who makes the mids they switched to for the ref line. The Revalators are very good.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
it is rumored that the Alpine SPX-17PRO are designed after the scanspeak revelators, but i haven't been able to find any info to confirm that (from a cosmetics point of view they look very identical to the revelators).

haven't heard much about the REF line, though. if you can get them at a good price then i would by all means get them. Alpine makes some solid components so you can never go wrong.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
No cheap Alpine Speakers are modeled after the Revs.

The $3500+ a set F#1 Status Component set from a couple years back was Revelator drivers (they weren't modeled after them, they were them). It was an 18m, a 12m (the best midrange EVER), and the Ring Rev tweeter.

The newer sets have almost nothing to do with Scanspeak's designs. THey've thrown in some cosmetic homages, that's about it.

And BTW - for the money, I think they sound pretty horrible. I heard all of Alpine's new gear at CES and was thoroughly unimpressed. The SPX Pros (which are the upgrade of the models pictured here) sounded thin, and generally cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts