Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine if you had the chance to talk to the Lexus designers and engineers and let them know what you love and hate about your IS300. What would YOU tell them?

After having mine for only 2000 miles now, it's barely broken in, but here is my list of things I'd want them to consider in designing the next generation IS.

THINGS I LOVE
- Aggressive exterior styling & an interior with "character." When I say character, I just love the little touches like the chronograph gauges, metal pedals, and chrome shift knob. Props to Lexus for keeping up with the times and enhancing the car over time with things like blackout tails, graphite polished wheels, and black pearl emblem kits.

- Killer paint. So many people have commented on my graphite gray pearl paint because it has so much metallic fleck in it. The color choices are great too from yellow to IBP. Sniff - RIP Solar Yellow.

- Automatic everything. I love not having to worry about much of anything while driving. Setting stuff to auto means the lights turn on and off, the climate control is always the right temp, interior and exterior mirrors dim automatically, and even the vents take care of themselves. The car offers the right balance of sportiness and luxury appointments.

- Lexus quality. Even the sound the door makes when closing screams quality. The car feels smooth and competent on the road yet sporty.

- Rear wheel drive. Nuf said.

- Killer stereo. Even after a few years on the market, this audio system still rocks. I know, many of you audiophiles will point out various flaws, but admit it, for a stock system you can't go wrong.

- Great price. Wow! I really think this car is a great value for what you get. I got mine FULLY loaded and paid $31k brand new. Competetive models like the G35 are $5-10k more.

THINGS I DISLIKE
- OK, small thing, but the cup holders blow goats. Next time around I hope they put some proper cup holders in that deal with stuff bigger than a 12oz can.

- Car needs more power. It'd be cool if they had an IS430 option for those of us on this board. Lexus really should try to tap into a market to compete with the BMW M3, Audi S4, and Subaru STi. Not that I bought the IS for raw power (I would have got an Evo if that was all that was important) but it was lame getting smoked by a 4-Runner Limited last weekend.

- The power adapter is in a bizarre location under the armrest. A guy with a 2002 IS at work didn't even know it was there until I pointed it out. I wish it was in a more logical location to plug my radar or CCM phone cradle into. I know - plug it into the cigarette lighter you say. Problem being, I tried that and pulled the whole assembly out when I unplugged my radar. The dealer fixed it but recommended I not plug things into the cigarette lighter in the future. :-?

- The car feels a LITTLE too small. Leaning the seat back to a comfy position practically puts me in the backseat. The car feels just a little narrow. I know, a small thing again, but I'd love just a BIT more rear seat legroom and an inch or two in the overall width.

THINGS I HOPE THEY ADD
- Touch screen Navi. I love my IS navigation system, but my friend's Acura TSX with the touchscreen is so nice. You can input things about 5X faster than with the IS nav's little joystick.

- Satellite radio compatibility in stock head unit. Adding Sirius is difficult as there's not much room on the already full dash and console panels to add the aftermarket tuner unit.

- I give Lexus props for the aggressive 17" stock rims. Lots of people ask me if they're aftermarket wheels. Still, it'd be cool if they offered 18's or 19's as an option on the new model.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
id tell them to reduce the cub weight somehow. Itd be so much faster if it wasnt 3200lbs.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I agree, the car is fantastic, Lexus engineers are geniuses. The things I would change are: new cupholders, 6 speed manual would be nice like most new cars today, and yes in making an S4 fighter, that would be hott.

Other than that, I love my IS and wouldnt trade it in for anything under 40k.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Not to be picky, but shouldn't this be aimed towards Toyota designers and engineers? I think the only Lexus corporate department existing would be sales, marketing, and customer service.

-crontab -l

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I like having the accessoriy plug under the arm rest. I put my CB right next to it and don't have a lot of dangling wire.

Yes it would be nice to have the bigger engine, but that would be like an upgraded more expwnsive model.

Of course, since I ws driving a Civic before I go my IS in May, it was a big move up for me. :eek:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Toyota Engineers:

Things I'd like y'all to do...
-Save the I-6 engine, don't go V6.
-Make the current I-6 engine more potent, kinda like M3's 3.2 (?) liter I-6.
-At least 280 hp would be nice...
-Exterior design is awesome. Please don't make it look like the ES300 or LS430. Minor face lift would suffice. A little redesign on the front back would be nice considering the current IS got a big ass.
-Interior? A little bit more use of aluminum or wood wood be nice. Make the dash a little bit softer, not super hard plastic.
-Finally, a six speed transmission...

That's it for me. If you don't do these, I'll never buy Toyota cars again. Ever! :pissed:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
-Larger side bolsters on the seats
-Lumbar Support
-New rear end gears(ie. supra tt)
-3.3 I6 with gobs of hp (like the M3)
-6 speed manual
-More interior lighting and trunk lighting
-Better cupholders that aren't so shallow*
-Programmable seat presets*
-Touch Screen Navigation*
-Adjustable Seat Heaters (like on dial, not a button)*

*like on the SC430

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
ill jump in :D

-reduce the curb weight
-make em 200 rwhp at the least
-better interior materials
-stronger paint !

perfect car as what it is, just need some little adjustment, wouldnt trade them for any other cars below 40k

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sonic Boom said:
Touch screen Navi. I love my IS navigation system, but my friend's Acura TSX with the touchscreen is so nice. You can input things about 5X faster than with the IS nav's little joystick.
I work on evaluation and some design of Toyota and Lexus navi, and the general movement is to use all touchscreens. I just found out recently when the IS will adopt touchscreen, and for now I will just say: :(

There has always quite a bit of discussion regarding the IS and Avalon remote control systems. Stylists are the only ones who love them because the nav screen can go just about anywhere. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
-Memory Seats
-Memory Seats
-Memory Seats
-Memory Seats
-Memory Seats
-Memory Seats
-Memory Seats
-Wider tires from the factory, no more of this 215 tires, atleast send it out with 235s.
-Harder paint
-And . . . like everyone else, a lil more power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want more power and maybe 24city/30highway on fuel consumption.. Is this too much to ask for.
Wider wheel base would be nice too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jp82729 said:
Sonic Boom said:
Touch screen Navi. I love my IS navigation system, but my friend's Acura TSX with the touchscreen is so nice. You can input things about 5X faster than with the IS nav's little joystick.
I work on evaluation and some design of Toyota and Lexus navi, and the general movement is to use all touchscreens. I just found out recently when the IS will adopt touchscreen, and for now I will just say: :(

There has always quite a bit of discussion regarding the IS and Avalon remote control systems. Stylists are the only ones who love them because the nav screen can go just about anywhere. :)
Bummer to hear we won't get the touch screen soon. I really think that's the way to go in the future.

I really do love the nav system, I don't think I could ever get a car without one now. Here's another comment on the nav system since you've got the connections:

- Currently when headed to a destination, the system calculates the trip time based on the speed limits of the chosen roads. Of course in California, this sytem makes the feature all but useless due to the traffic. It'd be nice if the next gen system calculated the trip time using the current system but also took into consideration how fast the car is moving currently. My friend's M5 does this and it seems to be a superior arrangement.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I probably won't buy an IS for my next car unless:

-Keep the exterior styling (or change it as little as possible, I love it)
-The current interior is a little cheap and un-Lexus-like. While I like the chrono gauges and pedals... I'd prefer a less plastic environment. Memory seats, settings for heated seats, individual passenger and driver climate controls. Upgrading the leather to Lexus standards would be great too.
-Get rid of the MPG gauge and replace it with a more useful gauge.
-Faster, faster, faster. At least as an option, give me more HP.
-An even sportier suspension as an option (stiffer sways and springs, wider tires).
-Not that I would buy an auto again, but give the driver control over 1st gear. Switch E-shift for a system that actually lets you select gears, instead of acting as a gear limiter. "Power" setting that actually give more power (instead of just raising the shift points)
-Mark Levinson audio option.

Some may say it's a lot to ask for, but much of these requests are now standard on cheaper cars. Personally, I wouldn't mind raising the price tag on the IS for these improvements.

·
Registered
941 Posts
-outdo yourselves and raise the bar with new tailight designs
-6spd manual
-sportdesign is too little for too much, need more hp, nice tires, suspension... not just looks.

-oh, and buyout PLP and bundle the vortech s/c or powerdyne s/c with sportdesign :crazy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's this little, irritating thing....

about the little volume control for the radio. There's no good tactile feel to the knobs. It's a dainty little knob, difficult to adjust the radio volume. That's what I'd change after having designed an almost perfect autombile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sonic Boom said:
I really do love the nav system, I don't think I could ever get a car without one now. Here's another comment on the nav system since you've got the connections:
I'm always willing to listen to other opinions and suggestions. The customer opinion is what matters the most. :)

Oh, and on topic, some features I would like to see:
Rain sensor for auto wipers
Side view mirrors that flip in and out automatically (similar to the LS430)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
more power
better leather material
more cupholders
memory seats
ALL auto windows with remote roll down (like the GS)
steering wheel audio controls
touch screen navi ..................... thats about it, then it would be perfect with a set of HREs :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts