Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a list of "complaints" that I have been hearing from more than one source:

* Lexus dealer markup is high %

* 7.5 second+ 0-60 time (magazine tests) is worse than the (already marginal) 7.1 second Lexus claim. (Don't race a Nissan Maxima...)

* The car is being built by a distant subcontractor rather than the usual Toyota/Lexus facilities in the Tokyo area.

* The paint chips easily

* The dashboard gets hot (inluding engine heat in the footwell)

* There have been complaints about irregular "body gaps" which are not up to the standards of other Lexus models.

* The e-Shift buttons don't let you select 1st gear.

* Poor fuel economy

* Standard options/configurations are somewhat limited. (e.g. No LD+LS in California)

* Somewhat nose heavy (compared to BMW)

* Poor arm-rests

* Prop rod hood

* Cars with black interiors still have ivory colored interior roof liner

* Marginal quality dashboard plastics

* Frequent tire replacement

* Trunk hinges intrude on storage space

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Teg,

Any response from Lexus yet on this? I remember you posting this before, but didn't get to see the response from them.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Spoke to Lexus dealer today and they say that it's a DEFINITE POSSIBILITY they'll have the following for 2002:
- prop-rod hood
- arm-rest

As far as the NAV system is concerned, just heard that the 2001 LS430 will NOT have it as an option (in the beginning anyway) as the sub-contractor for the system says that they need to 'refine' it further.

I sure hope they'll have the system ready for the 2002 IS......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Haven't seen this discussed anywhere else -- New York Times had an IS review on Sunday confirming the 7.1 0-60 time "on my [the reviewers] handheld stopwatch." The reviewer said it may have been a quicker time than the ones tested by magazines because his test car had 3,000 miles on it.

[From TEG: Handheld stopwatches aren't considered the most accurate way to time a car!]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Hmmm, a handheld stopwatch doesn't seem to be the most accurate way to test a 0-60 time. 0.4 sec on a handheld stopwatch is very easy to vary due to hitting start/stop a little early/late.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As I recall, the review was generally very positive although he was a little down on the handling and discussed in some depth.

I'm fairly sure it's still up on the NYT web page -- just click the "automobile" tab on the left menu bar, and I believe it's still the first review. (Registration is needed, or I would just post the link.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been following the discussions for a few months and I'm amazed at the lack of serious issues making their way into the complaints list. This is great! I was a little concerned that this "sufficiently radical" vehicle might have been a bastard child. Instead I learn that even with the edge it's still a LEXUS. What I've learned so far is:

Early adopters are paying premium prices.

The cars are being built by a subcontractor (as is the Japanese way in many of their industries) to high-quality specs.

The paint is not impervious to high-speed projectiles.

The MPG is almost exactly as stated on the sticker.

The performance tires last as long as can be expected depending on driving habits, etc.

Configurations are limited for these first manufacturing runs.

And the exceptionally solid, tight-fitting dash components look different to some than other vehicles.

·
2,909 Posts
As far as the paint chips are concerned I'm going to call 1800USALEXUS and inform them if something is not done about that problem soon then I will not be purchasing this car. I can't beleive I'm going to do it 'cause I have been following the development of this car for the past two years and its the only car I want!!! I will be very dissapointed if it is not taken care of before I buy the car in November. I feel if Lexus can live up to their motto then there should be no problem but official complaints have to be made by owners to wake Lexus up to this problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
jiggafett,
Keep us posted on how Lexus responds. It will be interesting to see what they say about the beatiful but seemingly easily chipped paintjob.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regarding paint:

In the USA it is harder to get "good paint" these days because polution regulations have limited the use of some "nasty chemicals" that used to be used more commonly in years past.

When I bought house paint they told me not to expect it to last as long as paint they used to sell a few years ago.

Now - I don't know if Japan is the same as the USA in terms of regulating chemicals going into paint, but it is possible that Toyota/Lexus is being forced to use "inferior" paint to help save the environment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My thoughts of additions to this list of ongoing complaints:

1. Many white models have come with small yellow marks on the car normally the front and rear bumpers. Someone posted that they thought these marks were caused by tire dressings applied at the dealership. I had one of these strange yellow marks on my roof.

2. No arm rests

3. No telescoping steering.

4. No lumbar support adjustment

5. Many vehicles seem to come with "Squishy" brakes that can be generally corrected by bleeding them. Vehicle I test drove had this. Vehicle I bought didn't.

6. Many have reported stereo reception problems.

Regardless of my additions, I love this car. Its fun to drive. The stereo system is great and I love the interior styling.

Phil

·
Registered
38 Posts
I made a formal complaint to Lexus on both the survey form and on the website. I complained about the tailpipe only offering a departure angle of 12 degrees (ie. BMW's are 20 degrees). As a result, my tailpipe scrapes on most driveways. They responded within 24 hours by email, then replied within a week, saying sorry, but no changes would be made to this. Actually, they justified the low tailpipe as contributing to the "low center of gravity contributing to the excellent dynamic handling capabilities of the IS300".

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
>> Actually, they justified the low tailpipe as contributing to the "low center of gravity contributing to the excellent dynamic handling capabilities of the IS300".

Ha!! What a crock!

That tailpipe tip probably weighs a pound or so.

Why is the battery mounted so high, then?!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hope everyone replies to autoweek magazine on the assessment of the car. it would be nice to get some complaints on a magazine article to let lexus know we aren't just whiners!!! I also got a phone call from one of there professional apologizers and I didn't feel any beter afterwards!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
This isn't a real complaint... but as a person who normally does work on their own cars... has anyone seen the placement of the oil filter? does anyone else think it's
odd that it would be very difficult for the regular joe to change his own oil? if someone is familiar with the way it is done in this car or the supra, i'd like to know.
thanks...

marlon
[email protected]

------------------
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
You could always just not buy the car!! Whats up TEG? Are you getting cold feet?? IS 300 is still FABU! I don't think anyone is complaining to loudly! As we all line up to pay MSRP! I still think the "fun Factor: is easily outstripping the "I can't believe it has a prop rod" sheesh my 50K MBZ SUV has a prop rod but ya know what, If I don't have to open the hood what do I care?

[From TEG: I wish many of those gripes were not true, but there would probably be just as many with most other cars that get put under the microscope.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I inspected the front end of my brothers silver Toyota Tacoma 4x2 today. It's got 7,000+ miles with no paint chips to be found. And, this truck was made at the NUMMI plant in Fremont.

Can the chips on the IS300's be attributed to the height of the vehicle itself?

Originally posted by TEG:
Regarding paint:

In the USA it is harder to get "good paint" these days because polution regulations have limited the use of some "nasty chemicals" that used to be used more commonly in years past.

When I bought house paint they told me not to expect it to last as long as paint they used to sell a few years ago.

Now - I don't know if Japan is the same as the USA in terms of regulating chemicals going into paint, but it is possible that Toyota/Lexus is being forced to use "inferior" paint to help save the environment.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts