Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while, I thought I'd been noticing my passenger side door speaker intermittently cutting out. It would suddenly seem quieter, and maybe crackle a bit for a second. It seemed turning up the volume would make it unstick, so to speak, and go back to normal. I took off the door panel to see if there was a loose connection or something, but nothing looked amiss.

I'm not sure if this was the problem all along, or if the speaker was entirely cutting out, but I noticed the speaker has considerably less bass than the driver's side speaker. I know relatively little about audio equipment, but I can't understand why a single speaker would lose part of its range but otherwise remain working. Is this possible with a blown speaker? Because the speakers are riveted in, I can't exactly pull it out to look at the electronics.

I'm planning to yank the head unit (an aftermarket Kenwood unit) to see if anything is off there, and I'll swap the two front speakers to see if there's a problem with the amp.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
I think you have a solid approach to trouble shooting the issue. I was going to point at the factory amp (If still wired in with the aftermarket HU)

·
Registered
67 Posts
My guess is that the speaker is shot and needs to be replaced. The speaker generates frequencies using a lot of parts (paper cones, foam) that are all degrading over time, especially as they are used. At this age, the foam is probably missing a lot, and/or the cone is ripped.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of our cars have missing rear decks, cause those went first. The glue was like flaking off. Not bad, they lasted 19 years lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Any source on a replacement speaker? And will I need to replace both sides for it to sound balanced? Driver's side speaker sounds good to me, but I think I've heard there can still be enough degradation to sound different from new.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
440 Posts
Speakers are normally sold in pairs. So you will most likely get both replaced. I still have my stock units in place as they sound pretty damn good to me for being stockers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Speakers are normally sold in pairs. So you will most likely get both replaced. I still have my stock units in place as they sound pretty damn good to me for being stockers.
Yes, once the rears go out, the fronts hold well. They are decent quality. The rears.. well not so much, they are good while they last. I like the bass so I turned that up to +5. Past owner had sub woofer RCA's (really nice ones) so I think I was the last ride for the rear deck lol
Thanks guys. Any source on a replacement speaker? And will I need to replace both sides for it to sound balanced? Driver's side speaker sounds good to me, but I think I've heard there can still be enough degradation to sound different from new.
Have you ever watched EXOcontralto on YouTube. There is a good pair of 6x9's that I'm getting, same ones he used. He is a audio and bass maniac so I'd trust his word. There is a full video on a Toyota Camry or Corolla, of his girlfriends. So its pretty much the same for our cars.
The 6x9 install.
Same with the front's they are also riveted in, totally recommend checking him out, he is super funny and has amazing personality.
Here is a aftermarket radio on the same car, full tutorial. Tho because I like the look of my inside, I plan to hide mine behind the radio. I still need to figure out all this, I'm sure I can get it to work, even if not being double din, I'll use the stock radio and rewire it, to the aftermarket. I don't like the touchscreen look, makes any car look kinda dated.
(I have yet to watch this one, but will today :D)
(Edit: All links are in his descriptions, but here is the 6x9's if your lazy)

·
Mr. Roo
9,685 Posts
I had a rear speaker go out on me, it got all buzzy and stuff. The rear speakers sit in the direct sun, which helps nothing. Of course, my infinite baffle subwoofer probably wasn't helping either lol. I ended up just getting one stock used speaker and hoping for the best, and that worked perfectly. That way, both speakers still matched. So you could do that, or just upgrade both front speakers to something else. However, the stock speakers do sound great and work very well with the stock system, so I guess it depends on what you're looking to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts