Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused. How should i hook up my ipod to my Car?

-Best buy has some units that can hook up to some brands of cars... but I didn't see LExus as one of them

-is there a simpler way to have the best quality sound then do all the splicing etc?

-afraid of getting a shop to do the work but want the best quality sound possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
only easy way I can think of for our IS is to get that audio cassette input thing and plug that into your ipod. Itrip is no good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have both the iTrip and Belkin transmitters. They both basically suck. I hear the cassete tape unit sucks because it induces added noise to the signal even with the DNR on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there an after market hook up you can buy to plug into the back?

I really don't want to start cutting wires and stuff...

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
the monster iCarPlay fm transmitter is the best, and i've tried a lot of different ones. you can pick whatever station you want the ipod to transmit through, and it charges the ipod at the same time. it sounds just as if it was a cd playing in my car, so if that's good enough sound quality for you, then you're all set.

·
Registered
747 Posts
monster iCarPlay sucks to i have it...it depends where your location is at for all transmitters

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dension ice>Link: Plus

As I said in the forum discussion with the same name, I'm currently using a Dension ice>Link: Plus (www.densionusa.com).
It was easy to install - plugs right in to the back, which is a good thing too, as I'm on my second one - the first was a beta testing unit.
They are still working out the bugs (as with anything brand new), but I do currently have sound, and the ability to scroll through songs using the stock head unit.
It should be soon at a point where I would advise purchasing one ($199 U.S.), but as of now I still do not have any text information showing on the head unit, as advertised.
I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Marcus Aurelius said:
As I said in the forum discussion with the same name, I'm currently using a Dension ice>Link: Plus (www.densionusa.com).
It was easy to install - plugs right in to the back, which is a good thing too, as I'm on my second one - the first was a beta testing unit.
They are still working out the bugs (as with anything brand new), but I do currently have sound, and the ability to scroll through songs using the stock head unit.
It should be soon at a point where I would advise purchasing one ($199 U.S.), but as of now I still do not have any text information showing on the head unit, as advertised.
I'll keep you updated.
Interesting unit.....it says Best Buy is a distributor??? I imagine installation couldn't be more than $100, making the unit $300 total....not too shabby ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GReat! I did actually get in contact with someone there that told me they would keep me posted.
with the unit do you lose the ability to still use your cd player? or fm?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually with the great photos on this site explaining how to remove the dash felt tray (clips - be gentle), vent cover (two hex screws & clips), and stock head unit (4 hex bolts), I found it very easy to install myself. It plugs right into the back of the stock head unit with one of the two supplied cables.
Save yourself the $100!
I went for the cable only connection versus the cradle because my plan was to keep the ipod in the glove box. Since the text has not yet been visible on the stock head unit I may request a cradle from Dension so that I can mount the ipod on the dash - we'll see first if they can get the text information to flow through to the stock head unit...to be continued!
So far though it sounds great! I'm getting used to the head unit controls.
It's only crapped out two times out of a dozen or so trials since Oct. 21.
As I said to "vancouverride", the people at Dension have been very helpful, and relatively quick to respond.

Sure beats splicing wires, etc...!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just so no one is mistaken, the Dension unit works if you have the single-cd headunit. Everyone else with the 6-indash player is out of luck for now.

·
Registered
512 Posts
alpine compatible deck with alpine ipod 420i adapter, cyrstal clear sound hooks up with 2 wires. Very simple very nice, i pod charges whill hidden in glove and songs are scrolled on the deck to eliminate total need to even see the i pod

·
Registered
72 Posts
The best way is to just put in a whole new cd player with an aux-input or ipod input. I tried the Vais-tech system, but the sound quality sucked for the $250 it was worth. Cassette sucks and radio sucks, so if you want the best quality, go with a new cd player.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can also try going on to apple's website and clicking in the ipod tab . It will take you to a page that will show you different manufacturers of ipod adapters that you can purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts