Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings from a possible future F owner. Took a quick test drive this morning and as I expected, thought the car was terrific. I'd be trading in a Dodge SRT-8 Charger, so the upgrade in quality without sacrificing performance in a sedan is enticing. However, I am somewhat disappointed that for all of the bells and whistles, that Lexus has not made a more concerted effort to facilitate REAL I-Pod integration and that satellite radio is an after-thought. I am wondering from owners who have had XM or Sirius installed by Lexus, where the actual radio resides, and what input is used to access the radio. Is it Aux? If so, where does the I-Pod input go? Does the Vais-Tech aftermarket fix give me touch screen access to playlist and artist info on my I-Pod, or will I have to wheel through my lists using the I-Pod itself? Petty concerns, perhaps, but before I shell out 60K, I'd appreciate some "user" input from fellow fans of this car. Thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
how did the power compare between the SRT8 to the IS-F?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the re-direct on the I-Pod install.

As for the power comparo... it feels like the SRT is more ready to turn and burn from the get-go... where as the IS-F doesn't light up until 4000 RPM. I've got a Corsa exhaust and K&N intake on the Charger, so it sounds better to me than the Lexus, even at WOT. I'm sure there's some design rationale for the phony tail pipes on the F, but I wish the car had more growl. The engine does make a sweet sound at high revs, but I'd prefer a little more rumble at low rpms. That said, I bet the Lexus can reel off a slightly faster time to 60 than my Charger, and depending on tires, would likely edge the Dodge in the 1/4 as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You will be happy once you hit 3600RPM.

Then the beast comes unleashed. Go for it.

As far as the Xm radio or Ipod integration...for me personally, I got by and found it much easier to burn 6 mp3 data discs and they are really esay to go through on the nav unit...ya its only over 4gb data...but definetly enough for a few weeks/months... Beats fussin with the ipod, and even with the nav ipod hook I checked it out and it wasnt all that anyway. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
SAT radio is controlled through a button on the console that says SAT

I have XM installed on mine, and it works just fine, easy to control the stations and everything using the touch screen or the seek buttons

·
Registered
23 Posts
XM was soooo easy to install in the car. I bought the parts online for $280ish and a buddy and I (mainly him) installed the device in under 45 minutes. You take out the trunk cover on the right side of the trunk and on the column you harness it in with the kit. It was so easy and much cheaper then $950 from lexus.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Greetings from a possible future F owner. Took a quick test drive this morning and as I expected, thought the car was terrific. I'd be trading in a Dodge SRT-8 Charger, so the upgrade in quality without sacrificing performance in a sedan is enticing. However, I am somewhat disappointed that for all of the bells and whistles, that Lexus has not made a more concerted effort to facilitate REAL I-Pod integration and that satellite radio is an after-thought. I am wondering from owners who have had XM or Sirius installed by Lexus, where the actual radio resides, and what input is used to access the radio. Is it Aux? If so, where does the I-Pod input go? Does the Vais-Tech aftermarket fix give me touch screen access to playlist and artist info on my I-Pod, or will I have to wheel through my lists using the I-Pod itself? Petty concerns, perhaps, but before I shell out 60K, I'd appreciate some "user" input from fellow fans of this car. Thanks!
Mind if I ask what you do? Reason I ask, I'm a fellw SRT8 owner and lurker on this board, and I'm a meteorologist and saw weather in your screen name.

You going to take the Corsa off the car when you trade it in? Let me know, where are you located? I'm in Cincinnati.

Did you get a Diablosport Predator for your SRT8?

Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EricG... I've been at ABC in Chicago for 14 years. I'm going to assume you work at WLWT based on your screen name and the stations bio for you which mentions your passion for cars! Do you own the Charger or a different SRT vehicle? My wife and I also own a Copperhead Viper which sadly, has been garaged WAY to long this endless winter. We took it out last night as the Illinois Viper Club had its first meeting of the season. Saw my first '08 Vipers in person including the Snakeskin Green. I have not bought the Predator tuner for the car. Do you have it, and if so, what are your thoughts? I've never put the Charger on the dyno so I'm not sure what my baseline is. If I do trade or sell the Charger in I will keep the Corsa on the car since I did not hang on to the stock system. Happy forecasting!

·
Registered
436 Posts
EricG... I've been at ABC in Chicago for 14 years. I'm going to assume you work at WLWT based on your screen name and the stations bio for you which mentions your passion for cars! Do you own the Charger or a different SRT vehicle? My wife and I also own a Copperhead Viper which sadly, has been garaged WAY to long this endless winter. We took it out last night as the Illinois Viper Club had its first meeting of the season. Saw my first '08 Vipers in person including the Snakeskin Green. I have not bought the Predator tuner for the car. Do you have it, and if so, what are your thoughts? I've never put the Charger on the dyno so I'm not sure what my baseline is. If I do trade or sell the Charger in I will keep the Corsa on the car since I did not hang on to the stock system. Happy forecasting!
Nice! I love Chicago, kind of my dream market being a Midwestern kid. Your bios are not easy to find on the web page :(

I have a 300C SRT8 and really like it. Even though I did the SRT Track Experience last year I was thinking about doing it again, just to drive the new 600hp beast. I can't believe this may be the last Viper!!!

I do have the Predator, and love it! It's worth it just for the reduction in torque management over the first two gears. I had my car CMR dyno-tuned the day I bought the Predator, and I'd highly recommend that because I was there with a friend of mine who owns a Charger SRT8 and our cars took surprisingly different levels of fuel and spark over different rpm ranges to reach the ideal air to fuel ratios that result in little to no knock retard. I got my car tuned at Power Ported Performance here in Cincinnati. After I got tuned, I made nine 1/4 mile runs and never went above 13 seconds, with a best of 12.64! I just have a CAI and 185 degree thermostat, otherwise stock!
Here's a burnout I did when I got new tires :)
YouTube - Huge 300C SRT8 burnout

Enough MOPAR talk on the IS-F forum, the IS-F is a sweet car.

Eric

Oh - and I have a stock exhaust in exchange for your Corsa :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eric... if I keep the Charger, I will definitely consider the Predator. I also participate on occasion on the SRT forums and have read favorable comments like yours about the tuning advantage. Since you did the SRT Track Experience, weren't you amazed at the Jeep off the line? Now that's a sleeper, IMHO.

I did stop by the Lexus dealer again this morning to look at the factory I-Pod module in action on an RX hybrid. They had me won over until the salesman said I could have either I-Pod or Satellite through the head unit, but not both. Which I guess brings me back to the original point here... why is this so difficult for Lexus to make right? I don't want to have to buy the Vais-Tech unit to give me playlist-only control of my I-Pod or an aftermarket fix for Sat Rad on a $60K car. That said, owning an X5 as well, I can tell you that I-Drive crap is far worse than my seemingly petty complaints about the Lexus!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just watched you shred a few millimeters off your P245/45ZR20s! I've got a tire guy if you need replacements!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts