Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped a buddy of mine install a apexi N1 cat-back exhaust on his 05' RSX-S last night. After the install we drove around and that shit was crazy loud. I would not want my IS sounding like that at all, it made my ears hurt. I dont see how you guys can drive around in a daily driver like that. :jawDrop:

Is it gonna be that loud with a 3'' exhuast for turbo? :confused:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
just because it sounds like that on an acura doesnt mean that it will sound like that on the IS..two totally different engines

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
pinoyballah said:
just because it sounds like that on an acura doesnt mean that it will sound like that on the IS..two totally different engines
is correct...

the same muffler/exhaust on a 4 cyl. may sound like crap

if the same thing is applied to a 6 cyl. it can sound badazz and vice versa

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
also, the turbo will muffle the exhaust note, specially at lower rpms...

·
Registered
973 Posts
i have the N1 with my turbo set up... really quiet..Turbo eats it all up

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Mr.Pham said:
Is it gonna be that loud with a 3'' exhuast for turbo? :confused:

No. Turbo quites exhaust right down.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It can also be leakage that is making it so loud, make sure all the gaskets are in place and sealed.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
a typeS cat back is gonna way louder because its connecteed directly to the header...the header is in the engine....now picture how long the piping is with no cats.....catbacks for our engine are way shorter...connecting under the passenger seat....we still have all the cats in the header ...causing noise but not as much as a catback on the 4banger which has no cats in the header at all....hope u under stand what i worte lol....my buddys typeS with greddy catback and intake is way louder then my catless setup....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dadasups1 said:
a typeS cat back is gonna way louder because its connecteed directly to the header...the header is in the engine....now picture how long the piping is with no cats.....catbacks for our engine are way shorter...connecting under the passenger seat....we still have all the cats in the header ...causing noise but not as much as a catback on the 4banger which has no cats in the header at all....hope u under stand what i worte lol....my buddys typeS with greddy catback and intake is way louder then my catless setup....
man, I had to read that like 5 times...seriously :confused: But I get it now.

...i think :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
also, the turbo will muffle the exhaust note, specially at lower rpms...

yep... how much depends on other aspects, like wastegate size, turbo type/size, header type, etc. etc.

Differences in similar setups will make the exh note sound way different in most cases.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I had an N1 on my MR2. No cats, N/A with a header.

I'd rattle people's windows in the freeway :bigSmile: but it definately sounded NICE. It wasn't ricey.

Piping on it was ohh...maybe 3 ft long if that LOL

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ya. I have a N1 with my setup and i love the sound. a I6 sounds alot better than a 4 banger! I do not regret getting the exhaust at all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts