Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
you have NO chance against an M3.. at least not against a 96 or newer with the 3.2L engine..

my girl has a 98 4 door...(Hamann exhaust & K&N filter) and she beats my IS w/SRT HFI with no problem..

if i were driving her car against another IS with the HFI, i know i would kill it... the IS needs alot more work than intake/exhaust to keep up with an M...

·
Registered
667 Posts
My best friend has a '97 M3 (Automatic even). I've driven it, and believe me the thrust from that engine is very impressive. Not something you can equal with an intake/exhaust setup. Against a '95 and newer M3 with a manual you wouldn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
IS beating a M3...speaking from ownership of a M3 NO,NO,NO it would eat ya' up. But I am tired of the BMW name and stereo types. SO I dove into a IS with a planned turbo upgrade as soon as a production unit is available from XS, 19" model 5's and cuscos are on the way from japan. Funny I was the third person at lexus trading in a newer bmw for a is300 one was a 97 m3 mine was 2000 328i and the other was a older 5.The IS interior quality is no match for a newer E46 3 series, but in almost every way beats a interior of the older E36 3 series including M3.
mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
cruznis300,

I recently sold my 98 M3, 5 Speed. The M3 is MUCH faster, handles better and brakes on par with the IS300. Just comparing the HP nos. will not tell the whole story. Weight, gear ratio, powertrain loss, suspension, etc all come into play.

------------------
2001 IS 300
2001 RX 300
2000 Corvette Coupe
1998 BMW M3-Just Sold :(

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
lol. i can't believe you even asked.
if you want to know, stock theres 13.2 bs/hp unladen. keep in mind that in 96+ the engine was actually estimated to have 250 hp instead of the claimed 240 which brings the lbs/hp down to 12.7. then you can think about the m3's gearing and the flat torque curve, well...good luck.

Originally posted by cruznis300:
anyone know what the weight and power of the older stock M3 is?? Curious how close it would be with my IS now having about 236 HP..

·
Registered
36 Posts
According to my friend to works at BMW Technology Center, the earlier BMW M3s with 3.0L engine had the same peak power as 3.2L engines. However, 3.2liter engines had more peak torque and wider powerband.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yes they do but supposively the 96+ engines are underrated by BMW and are acutally 250hp not 240. they are definitely more torquey at the low end but the 95's have better high end pull

Originally posted by West:
According to my friend to works at BMW Technology Center, the earlier BMW M3s with 3.0L engine had the same peak power as 3.2L engines. However, 3.2liter engines had more peak torque and wider powerband.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeap. Clam is right. Moreover, dynos have proven the efficiency of the BMW engine (powertrain loss of only 12% as opposed to an average of 15%). Only bad thing about my M3 is that I'm OBD II, thus my engine is not tune friendly. I have put on some mods, but only squeeked out an max of 28 HP/ 25 ft-lb torque. Stock E36 M3 0-60 varies from 5.4-5.7.

------------------
'99 BMW M3
'97 Maxima SE

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You could expect that an old M3 would be at least 1 (auto) to 1.5 (manual) seconds quicker to 60mph than the IS300. They even get better gas mileage as well.

I thought about a used M3, but then decided that I really wanted a new car since I would have had to pay about $32K either way.

They weight a little bit less than the IS300, and have a bit more power and torque.

There have been some complaints about BMW reliability and service costs as compared to Lexus...

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by West:
'95 is the best year to mod.

------------------
Solar Yellow/Black IS300

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I hate to say it, but no way you're getting 21 hp from an intake and exhaust, especially without software remapping. Don't believe the hype.

Originally posted by cruznis300:
anyone know what the weight and power of the older stock M3 is?? Curious how close it would be with my IS now having about 236 HP..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts