Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I remember hearing that the manual 5 speed can't handle turbo power? Only the auto can?

I like the looks of that SRT stage 2 special they have going. :p

Is a supercharger just more of the same (if I'm right about the manual not handling the power)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep doing searches, for numerous things, but all the threads are like 2 years old. I KNOW there is progress since then! :pissed:

Seriously, I have been on this forum for a good 5-6 hours trying to find reliable, new, and correct info.

I'm looking for an answer for the manual/auto turbo question.

Also, good/bad/ugly experiences of various shops that offer turbo systems.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
J-Money said:
I keep doing searches, for numerous things, but all the threads are like 2 years old. I KNOW there is progress since then! :pissed:

Seriously, I have been on this forum for a good 5-6 hours trying to find reliable, new, and correct info.

dude...BugginOut answered you...
no matter what you do...you're gonna have to mess w/ your tranny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lilaznboi said:
J-Money said:

I understand BugginOut said its considered weak by many. That doesn't really answer the question. Many consider George W. Bush to be a moron, however I'm sure he knows more than his fair share about lots of things otherwise he couldnt' have made it to be president. (For the record I don't endorse or even like George W. but that was the first example that came to my head.)

Just seems to me that no one is interested in helping newcomers on this site, and everyone expects the newcomers to use 2 year old info. Most of the threads came up as, "well this kit is supposed to come out in 8 months or so", and as of now the kits are already out for some time. :eek:

·
Registered
742 Posts
J-Money said:
lilaznboi said:
J-Money said:

I understand BugginOut said its considered weak by many. That doesn't really answer the question. Many consider George W. Bush to be a moron, however I'm sure he knows more than his fair share about lots of things otherwise he couldnt' have made it to be president. (For the record I don't endorse or even like George W. but that was the first example that came to my head.)

Just seems to me that no one is interested in helping newcomers on this site, and everyone expects the newcomers to use 2 year old info. Most of the threads came up as, "well this kit is supposed to come out in 8 months or so", and as of now the kits are already out for some time. :eek:
Bottom Line..If u have A manual...be prepared to get a new tranny once your reach about the 310 -350 +rwhp..for most..depending on how hard your drive....with the exception of a few...a lot are of problems..with a slipping cluth....and if you have auto then after about 315 +rwhp...your shifts are going to be horrible...then your going to need a shift kit from toyo...or srt...to cure it..unless you get pfs with there tec 3 program....

supercharger or turbo it doesn't matter...those are the numbers that u should look at

also search for the right words your questions are answer atleast once a week from some-1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I searched for: manual/e-shift/turbo ........ then started tacking on various words that might be helpful.

I'm trying to find a thread that doesn't explain what a turbo is/how it works/tangent ideas, and just a thread about:

whats available/cost/whether the general consensus is that they are good, bad, ect.

Also something about the clutch. I have heard that the e-shift is "poorly put together", "Doesn't work like it should".
I'm used to driving a stick, and I like it much better than auto's. However, it has been mentioned that the 5 spd can't handle boost, but then lilaznboi wrote "no matter what you do... you're gonna have to mess w/ your tranny"

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
are you living in reality?

do you expect everyone to check the forum hourly to see if "J-Money" needs a question answered?

sit back and wait, and if no one answers your question still, tough shit . this forum is all about helping people, and if you don't respond like a jackass, i'll answer your question later

-gte

J-Money said:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Exactly what i said..Lilazinboi is right though once you achieve those numbers that i wrote...your going to need something with the tranny and cluth....options for Manual are r154 V160 V161 and the W58 i beleive....and the coast for that are anywhere from the cheapest one which is around 3,000 which i think is either the r154 and w58 all the way up to around 8,000 + i beleive for the v160 i could be wrong those are just round about numbers i could be off here and there

now auto...I know a few companies...that has A totaly built Automic tranny that holds 300-800 hp...that coast around 3,000 and thats for Transmission Race Built

Still on the Auto tranny....once you reach around 310 rwhp...your going to need a whole shift kit...that messes with what your running your turbo with wheather that be Tec 3 or a stand alone..and the 3 companies that has found a perfect soulution for that are Toyomoto...SRT and PFS...Other companies are right around the corner coming up with a solution... Now this coast for toyomoto and SRT are $250-500 and PFS Stage 2 and up i believe come with the auto tranny solution already and just SRt's valve body upgrade is shippable

also wait until Is300gte helps you out..hes 1 of the most knowledgabal along with other members

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think what this guy is trying to ask is which tranny (auto/stick) is preferable if he plans on going FI. From what I've read from you guys, is that it doesn't matter, because once you get above 300 rwhp, you'll need a new tranny no matter what. Correct? My question : Are there time differences between the auto and stick? I'd think launches would be a big issue. And since an NA 5sp is faster than the auto counterpart, it'd be the same with FI. Sorry if this has been beat to death in the past, but I'm feeling a bit lazy today... :p

Side note: I have a cousin in MD that has a TT Supra (MKIV) auto, and he has over 600 rwhp. When I asked him why he went with an auto, he said it holds power better.

·
Registered
946 Posts
IS300GTE said:

do you expect everyone to check the forum hourly to see if "J-Money" needs a question answered?

sit back and wait, and if no one answers your question still, tough sh*t . this forum is all about helping people, and if you don't respond like a jackass, i'll answer your question later

-gte

J-Money said:
No post at all would have been more helpful than that. Another grumpy mod is just what this forum and every newbie really needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, with these responses.... my new question is...

Why go with an IS300 if all its aspiring to be is a Supra? All the costs total more than a nicely kept up Supra. And Supra prices are WAY out of control since all this 2F2F bs.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
J-Money said:
Well, with these responses.... my new question is...

Why go with an IS300 if all its aspiring to be is a Supra? All the costs total more than a nicely kept up Supra. And Supra prices are WAY out of control since all this 2F2F bs.
well, it's 4 doors for one thing...it's also newer
i like the looks of the IS better then the supra (don't hate me guys)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heheh, well I do like both cars very much.... but I just don't think that the IS300 can hold a candle to a Supra. I do understand some people want four doors, well I do too but thats what the A4 is for.

I guess its a preference thing, but seems that lots of IS drivers take them to the track and want huge numbers out of them, but the fact is it doesn't come with the right engine setup, and the Supra comes with it and more. But to each their own I suppose.

Perhaps IS drivers want people to do this :eek: when they fly by in a 4 door?

·
.net superior m.f.
23,236 Posts
J-Money said:
I searched for: manual/e-shift/turbo ........ then started tacking on various words that might be helpful.

I'm trying to find a thread that doesn't explain what a turbo is/how it works/tangent ideas, and just a thread about:

whats available/cost/whether the general consensus is that they are good, bad, ect.

Also something about the clutch. I have heard that the e-shift is "poorly put together", "Doesn't work like it should".
I'm used to driving a stick, and I like it much better than auto's. However, it has been mentioned that the 5 spd can't handle boost, but then lilaznboi wrote "no matter what you do... you're gonna have to mess w/ your tranny"
The auto can handle more power than the manual. I only refer to a valve body upgraded auto. I broke my transmission's sprag at the race track on my auto and had it fixed (and upgraded) for a fraction of the cost of a manual tranny repair (or swap). Now, with the race sprag installed, I can put >800HP to the tranny. (I know I say this to the point of nauseum)... but the auto has advantages in a turbo environment - no chance to spool down b/ shifts)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
lets see the few reasons to go with a IS over a supra

supra-

extremely high insurance
likely been ragged to hell by previous owner(s)
Hard to get a loan for a 6+year old car
its a 6+ year old car
not a daily driver IMO (classic car, hard to replace)
no room for your homey's or chicks
attracts to much attention, again my opinion
and I can go on, these are the reasons I really did not consider getting one or 300zx TT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me first off say that I respect others opinions, and thats why we have so many types/brands of cars.

Am I the only one who doesn't carry 5 friends in my car like smuggling from Mexico? Also, if you find a good girl, then you only need one. If however, you have ever had more than 3 girls with you at one time, that wanted you inside of your car, then more power to you for wanting 4 doors.

Ragged to hell by previous owner could be any car. Thats why you don't buy one with 100,000 miles.

Classic car comment, I agree with you on that. But cars were meant to be driven. If you have that cash flow to buy cars and have them sit in an indoor showroom, then again, more power to you.

Attracting attention, thats just a preference.

High insurance, I haven't ran the numbers, but it wouldn't suprise me.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
that post is a perspective post, and very helpful, there was a demanding tone, and that needed to be straightened out. if you don't like it, leave

is300sam2002 said:
IS300GTE said:

sit back and wait, and if no one answers your question still, tough sh*t . this forum is all about helping people, and if you don't respond like a jackass, i'll answer your question later

-gte

J-Money said:
No post at all would have been more helpful than that. Another grumpy mod is just what this forum and every newbie really needs.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
the 5 speed will consistently break at numbers above 350rwtq

the auto, including a "modded" auto will break sprag gears under hard shifts at numbers above 450rwtq, a highly modded auto trans will probably hold around 700rwtq reliably, above that its domestic time

the fix for the 5 speed is an r154 trans, which will hold 500rwtq easily or the v160 which will hold 900rwtq

if you want a supra, don't buy the IS, buy a supra

-gte

J-Money said:
Let me first off say that I respect others opinions, and thats why we have so many types/brands of cars.

Am I the only one who doesn't carry 5 friends in my car like smuggling from Mexico? Also, if you find a good girl, then you only need one. If however, you have ever had more than 3 girls with you at one time, that wanted you inside of your car, then more power to you for wanting 4 doors.

Ragged to hell by previous owner could be any car. Thats why you don't buy one with 100,000 miles.

Classic car comment, I agree with you on that. But cars were meant to be driven. If you have that cash flow to buy cars and have them sit in an indoor showroom, then again, more power to you.

Attracting attention, thats just a preference.

High insurance, I haven't ran the numbers, but it wouldn't suprise me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.