Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went by my dealer to ask him on the price of the 10,000 mile service which they quoted at $95. Anyway I asked him what if I brought in my own oil (mobil 1) what would the price be. He said why? I told him that I've run synthetic in all my cars and perfer it over conventional. This is were it got interesting. He told me that synthetic is not recomended by the manuel, have not had the time to confirm, and that if it came down to a warrenty issue and they found out that it was synthetic it could result in a warrenty problem. Further more I asked why different dealers are charging different amounts for the same service. They said that they follow Lexus service procedure to the letter as far as run all checks,check torque settings etc. and other dealers are not doing that and that is where the cost savings come into play. So I said if there not doing what is recommened then are they not honoring the warrenty themselves? What do you think.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i think you should use the oil that lexus recommends.it's not a big issue as far as i'm concerned and it could help you avoid problems in the future. i'm sure the oil they use is good stuff is they put it in all of their cars.

in terms of why different places charge diffierentsly for the same service, the answer is relatively simple. because they can. in most dealers, the service department is a business unit much ,like the sales department is a business unit. they are independent. why do dealerships charge different for the same car?

with respect to following the book..i would read the manual and compare it to the dealers maintenance handbook. odds are the dealer's handbook has more maintenance scheduled than the manual. for example, my dealer suggests a 15,000 check up that included changing he transmission and differential fluid. the manual only suggets this for special conditions driving. i'm going to wait till 30,000. the differece: $120 vs. $390.

·
Registered
631 Posts
ckd, If you will read the Lexus manual it only shows the recommended oil service (SJ I think, I might be wrong). It also shows the different grade of oil and their operating temperature range. It does not say anything about not using synthetic. The person you just talked to is just trying to give their dealership a good name but he is flat our lying to you about Lexus not recommending synthetic oils. Everyone knows that synthetic oil is far more superior than conventional oil. Bottom line is, as long as you use the GRADE of oil that is recommended by Lexus for the operating conditions that you drive your car, you will not void any warranty. Sorry but I have to add this. Lets' say the dealer you bring your car to puts in whatever they have been putting on an IS300. But you live in the dessert and you also tow a trailer on you IS (just an example). Whatever oil the dealer is putting might not be adequate for the type of driving you are doing or the environment your car is in. Hope this make sense. "Don't believe everything the service personnel is telling you".

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey CKD.... one thing Ive learnt real quickly being a new Lexus owner... is that if someone with Lexus (or dealership) doesn't know... its SOP (standard operating procedure) to say that "It might / will affect the Lexus warranty".

I swear they teach that is Lexus school.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
synthetic oil voiding warranty is one of the funniest things i've heard so far.. that Lexus tech needs to get his ass fired.
I changed to synthetic at my 5k service. I bought my own oil(mobile 1) and brought it and they had no problem what so ever putting that in my car.
Do what you want, but synthetic oil should not cause any problem concerning your warranty.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The '02 owners manual says that you can use synthetic oil of the appropriate grade and type. However, it also says that you may not extend the oil change interval beyond what is listed in the manual.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone. I just called the sister dealer to the one I talked to and they said they had never heard such a thing. To each is there own they said. I told them go call there other dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked my Lexus Dealer in London to put synthetic oil in at my 5000Klm service and they just charged me the difference in cost.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ckd: I have my car serviced by Longo Lexus, which as some of you might know is the largest Lexus dealership in the western United States (in other words, a very large and significant dealership.) They have no qualms about synthetic oils, and even stock bulk Mobil 1 to substitute for conventional oil at the request of the owner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts