Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was able to get some time in on the install. As I am mounting the turbo to the manifold, I notice the oil drain is positioned right on top of the manifold. So I clock the thing over so its slightly angled to the shock tower. I go to put the housing on and I notice it is very close to the oil drain. So my question is:
how do you guys protect your oil return line from burning up? Do you wrap the hose with some type of heat resistant material? I can divert the hose away from the manifold/turbo housing via a loosely mounted guide against the body of the car, where the ABS bracket use to be. Here are the pics. That small piece of blue tape is wrapped around the spout:

My turbo Gremlins..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Is the line going to hit the manifold? I remember my old turbo setup the line was pretty close to the manifold, probably like less than an inch...BUT it didn't touch the manifold. I never had any problems with that setup. If the line is contacting the manifold then that's no good. It will burn a hole in the hose very fast. Also, you can buy 90 or 45 degree fittings for the turbo. That should help route the line out of the way.

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
Also, you can buy 90 or 45 degree fittings for the turbo. That should help route the line out of the way.
I might go 45, but definitely not 90. You would probably be ok, but you don't want to take a chance. Remember that the oil return is only fed by gravity and you want the least restrictive route possible.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Also, you can buy 90 or 45 degree fittings for the turbo. That should help route the line out of the way.
Yeah, another .50-$1 in fittings will save you some $$$ headache down the road.

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
I just heat wraped mine but it is not touching the manafold. I may go to the 45 elbow if it gives me trouble.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geezus.. i tried to take the spout off and nearly broke my phockin wrist. its got thread sealant on it. Suggestion on how to break this bitch loose?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I remember TE's S1 kit had a partial curved hardline that would go around the mani tube than transitions to a rubber/sleeved line to the pan fitting.

Shouldn't be too hard to get a hard line from Marshall's?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
geezus.. i tried to take the spout off and nearly broke my phockin wrist. its got thread sealant on it. Suggestion on how to break this bitch loose?
usually a butane torch on the fitting for about 30secs then try wrenching it will work... unless you have some super supreme loctite on there... then it might take a few torch/cool/torch/cool/torch/wrenchings to get it off... but usually just putting a torch to the fitting to get it blazing hot and expand the metal a little will help.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember TE's S1 kit had a partial curved hardline that would go around the mani tube than transitions to a rubber/sleeved line to the pan fitting.

Shouldn't be too hard to get a hard line from Marshall's?
LOL.. thats where I was going to get the 45 degree spout. Phock that place is awesome..
That pumpkin going to work for you?
-Sam

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pauls Welding skills

wanted to share some of Paul's (TeckIS300) welding skills. Pretty clean welding of my wide sensor bung yes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts