Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hitting 5k and need another oil change. but wondering if i take it to my lexus dealer. and i am planning to use my own oil.. but what brand do you guys recommend?

amssoil? mobil 1? purple royal? red line?

all of them in synthetic form!

and what aftermarket filter is good? or stick with the original toyota filter?

·
Registered
78 Posts
ur car is too new for synthetic oil tho ..if u change to ur synthetic too soon it will hurt ur fuel consumption because the components inside your engine need time to break down.

i recommand u to change to synthetic oil on ur 12 k service interval or DIY
remember if u buy the oil filter from toyota dealer u should insist to get the one which is made in japan which had Red rubbber gasket.
because black gasket is for Toyota ( may be it is cheaper ) and Red Gasket for Lexus or from the asslembley line which is better.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I agree. I'm moving to Amsoil or Motul at around the 8-10k mark. That should be a sufficient amount on the odo for break-in.

You don't want to switch too soon to synth oil because it hampers the break in process. The engine actually becomes too slippery for proper break-in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm gonna use Amsoil 0-30 with the long Amsoil filter (if I can) and make the switch at 5000 miles. My first oil change was at 2000 miles with Castrol 5-30 mineral and stock filter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Many ppl wrote not to use synthetic oil until 5000, 8000, 10K or 12K. How would one explain why Porche and Mercedes (other cars as well) are filled with Mobil 1 Synthetic when the cars are brand new?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Corolla:
ur car is too new for synthetic oil tho ..if u change to ur synthetic too soon it will hurt ur fuel consumption because the components inside your engine need time to break down.

i recommand u to change to synthetic oil on ur 12 k service interval or DIY
remember if u buy the oil filter from toyota dealer u should insist to get the one which is made in japan which had Red rubbber gasket.
because black gasket is for Toyota ( may be it is cheaper ) and Red Gasket for Lexus or from the asslembley line which is better.
i bought one from my dealer and it's made in the US!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
you know i was reading this thing on the new celica forum and now mobil 1 is not true synthetic...remember they sued becuz castrol was making fake synth? well now they've gone and done it too...blah blah blah complicated crap and terminology technicalities...if you are gonna pay for full synth why not get full synth...don't know if the fake synth is crappier than the full synth but hell why pay extra so the oil companies can make more profit off of you...as far as mobil 1 being the oil that comes in porches and stuff...someone related it to tylenol...you know how in the commercials they say tylenol is the most used painkiller in hospitals...anyways it was said that tylenol gives hospitals the product so of course it is the most used...not necessarily the best...same w/ mobil 1...take all this fwiw...laters

------------------
IS300 Tech Articles

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
you know i was reading this thing on the new celica forum and now mobil 1 is not true synthetic...remember they sued becuz castrol was making fake synth? well now they've gone and done it too...blah blah blah complicated crap and terminology technicalities...if you are gonna pay for full synth why not get full synth...don't know if the fake synth is crappier than the full synth but hell why pay extra so the oil companies can make more profit off of you...as far as mobil 1 being the oil that comes in porches and stuff...someone related it to tylenol...you know how in the commercials they say tylenol is the most used painkiller in hospitals...anyways it was said that tylenol gives hospitals the product so of course it is the most used...not necessarily the best...same w/ mobil 1...take all this fwiw...laters

could link the msg to us?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I wonder where people are getting these 8k, 10k, 12k mileages from. Here's what Mobil and Lexus had to say about using synthetic oils:

http://www.mobil.com/mobil1_racing/about/products/engineoil/trisyn_qna.html
http://www.lexus.com/contact.html#5

To sum it up, Mobil saids you can use it any time, and points out that it's used on a lot of high performance cars from the factory. Lexus saids you can start using it at your first oil change, but not to extend your service interval or switch back to conventional oils.

--k

[This message has been edited by chiem (edited January 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by chiem:
I wonder where people are getting these 8k, 10k, 12k mileages from. Here's what Mobile and Lexus had to say about using synthetic oils:

To sum it up, Mobil saids you can use it any time, and points out that it's used on a lot of high performance cars from the factory. Lexus saids you can start using it at your first oil change, but not to extend your service interval or switch back to conventional oils.

--k

if it's ok to start using synthetic oil! what do you guys recommend 5w-30 0w30? 10w30?? and my girls integra '98 LS wants to switch to synthetic with 68,000miles.. can it still use 10w30?
]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Copy from the lexus homepage
"Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals"
>what the points of using synthetic oil at the first interval ,if synthetic oil have the same life spend as the Petrolium based engine oil ..?

>and one liter of synthetic oil is cost 3 times more expensive than the conventional oil ..?
>of crouse toyota wants u to buy those Genuine synthetic oil from toyota and wants u to treat them as a conventional so they can make more $$$$ HAHAHHAHAHHAH!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Chino; Since you live in Cali,the5W30 or 10W30 is fine for your car. Without getting too technical, the first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at ambient temperature, and the second when is hot. The lower the first number is , the easily the oil will flow through the engine in a cold start.I hope this help
Originally posted by El Chino:
Originally posted by chiem:
I wonder where people are getting these 8k, 10k, 12k mileages from. Here's what Mobile and Lexus had to say about using synthetic oils:

--k

if it's ok to start using synthetic oil! what do you guys recommend 5w-30 0w30? 10w30?? and my girls integra '98 LS wants to switch to synthetic with 68,000miles.. can it still use 10w30?
]
------------------
Silver,Graphite, Black
Fully Loaded

[This message has been edited by Taino (edited January 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Taino,

So what brand is good & truly synthetic??

Red Line, MOBIL 1, CASTROL, PURPLE ROYAL or AMSOIL?

Originally posted by Taino:
Chino; Since you live in Cali,the5W30 or 10W30 is fine for your car. Without getting too technical, the first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at ambient temperature, and the second when is hot. The lower the first number is , the easily the oil will flow through the engine in a cold start.I hope this help

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only one I KNOW is 100% synthetic is Amsoil. I KNOW nothing about the others. It is my Understanding that amsoil was the first true synthetic motor oil. I tend to side with HibBoyScottand believe Redline is also a true synthetic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
gebo
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing