Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i havent had a chance to swing by the dealership to ask. do we have a gasket on our oil pan or just a sealant?

get "toyota bond" i don't have the part number, but its their own version of black silicone

-gte

Toyota Part number : 00295-00102

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i want to bump this. the reason i ask is cause im going to have to remove and reinstall it to drill the oil return line for the turbo.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can seal it in place using RTV
Best way to find out is to take the pan off though :)

rtv will work regardless - but you can tap without taking the pan off - from the topside as well.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Comes from the factory with a silicone type sealent. No gasket. Same goes for the tranny pan on the auto's.

I use Permatex's "The Right Stuff" sealer. It's damn good, but very expensive. You don't need to use something so exotic, but I don't take any chances.

Kane

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Get the Toyota FIPG (Form In Place Gasket). Works great.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apoji187 said:
I'm pretty sure you can seal it in place using RTV
Best way to find out is to take the pan off though :)

rtv will work regardless - but you can tap without taking the pan off - from the topside as well.
im afraid ill get shavings stuck in the pan.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thats a respectable reason.
Everyone's just been using a lithium (or other thick pastey grease) on their drillbits when drilling - the shavings'll stick to the grease.

whatever you feel necessary though.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
use a thick ass grease on the tap, and don't drain the engine oil till you're done. The oil will carry any shavings out with it.

Just a little tip. :wink:

Kane

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, i might just drill without taking the pan off. i wont drain the oil till afterwards. then maybe flush it out again with more oil. anyone know if our plug is magnetic? whats the best spot to dril the return line? how far up does it need to be? thanks and sorry for all the anal questions.
vahe

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
dayum that looks big or your thumb is small what is that a 10 AN? :lol:

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I was able to take the pan off without taking the crossmember off. You just need to invest in some gear wrenches! :wink:

They are the handiest tool you can ever buy for this car. :D

I didn't really need to take off the pan, but I just wanted to be extra safe.

Kane

·
Registered
511 Posts
Kanine21 said:
I was able to take the pan off without taking the crossmember off. You just need to invest in some gear wrenches! :wink:

They are the handiest tool you can ever buy for this car. :D

I didn't really need to take off the pan, but I just wanted to be extra safe.

Kane
What's a gear wrench?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts