Discussion Starter #1
got an 6 cylinder altezza
and I am getting some oil on the threading of the spark plugs
what do I need to change? what gasket?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valve cover gasket? the oil is not ontop of the plugs .. when I screw out the plugs and look at the threading ( the area where the ignition occurs) there is oil residue
isn't there a spark plug gasket set or sum 6 pieces or one complete gasket

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am gonna go for the valve cover gasket as well. All the tubes have individual seals when they begin to fail small amounts of oil seep in and it pools down by the bottom of the plug. When you unscrew it the oil falls onto the threads of the plug. If the rings were shot the plugs would most definitely have residue on the electrodes/plug tips from burning oil off or at least some sort of abnormal coloration and even so any oil that made it onto the threads via the combustion chamber would have most likely been burnt off. Shine a flashlight down each tube and check for oil residue. Take a good hard look at all the plugs as well and read about "reading" spark plugs.

Just my .02

·
Registered
827 Posts
I am gonna go for the valve cover gasket as well. All the tubes have individual seals when they begin to fail small amounts of oil seep in and it pools down by the bottom of the plug. When you unscrew it the oil falls onto the threads of the plug. If the rings were shot the plugs would most definitely have residue on the electrodes/plug tips from burning oil off or at least some sort of abnormal coloration and even so any oil that made it onto the threads via the combustion chamber would have most likely been burnt off. Shine a flashlight down each tube and check for oil residue. Take a good hard look at all the plugs as well and read about "reading" spark plugs.

Just my .02
it ain't a honda, no individual spark plug tube seal. look it up on sewell.
2002 IS300: OEM Engine & Fuel (CYLINDER HEAD) Replacement Parts

Checked mine recently. couple bolts where loose on the valve covers, so I just tightened them, used a shop vac to clean out the oil, and torqued my sparkplugs , they where surprisingly loose as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts