Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the bottom timing belt cover and the top cover of the housing meets seems to be leaking oil. 2001 is300 / 207k miles. I was told that the timing belt was done at 187k, (the 4th picture is the back of the timing cover) im leaning towards cam seals giving that my belt is dry
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting
Reflex camera Automotive tire Camera lens Digital camera Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bicycle part Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Fender

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It will be the cam or crank seal flicking/blowing the oil around. Mine was a little wet around there when i did my cam belt last year, there wasnt an obvious oil trail to one particular thing but both showed some sign of needed changing. Depending on who did it chances are they just changed the belt and nothing else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you , hopefully replacing those will fix the leak, knowing that its a possibility the prior owner only replaced the belt, is there anything else you would recommend replacing ?

·
Mr. Roo
9,991 Posts
yeah all of the front seals need to be replaced too, and should always be done when the belt is done, since you're that far into it anyway. You really can't see until you expose the entire front of the engine, which is a lot of work, so you might as well just gear up to do the whole job. I ended up doing all the work on mine myself, it's not too bad. Mine still ended up leaking on the ground though, so I probably had some leaks elsewhere. If your cam cover seals have never been done, you can do those too. The VVTI gear has oil seals in it as well.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
212 Posts
check to make sure all seals were replaced at the same time, kinda sucks they wouldn't do that when the timing belt was off but I've seen some lazy ass owners in my time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts