Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car back from the body shop last week and after I got it back I noticed some oil spots in the garage. I initially thought nothing of it thouht it was some oil left in the engine under cover form the lat time I changed my oil. Well yesterday I parked on my wifes side of the garage and when i was leaving I fogot something in the house and had to go back in. When I did I notice more oil on the ground. So this morning I got under the car and saw oil spray along the whole underside of the car from the transmission back. No I can only assume that this is a rear seal leak since there is no oil anywhere forward of the trans. THe car did sit at the body shop for 2 weeks so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it because there was no leakage before I dropped the car off. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok guys since no one responded to this last time I am going to ressurect it with aother question.

I think I might have a rear amin seal leak. I am also probably due for a clutch change out. Is this something that can be done together to save on money? Or should I just do the rear main seal leak?

·
Registered
173 Posts
It depends on how mechanically inclined you are... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to drop the oil pan to change out the rear main. It might be easier to take it to a mechanic and have them do it.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Now that I see this thread I might have a better answer to your other question. Your clutch issue might be because of this seal being broken. Yes, you definitely want to replace it when replacing the clutch, it's pretty much the same procedure.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
^^^ Spot on.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what does this entail and about how much do you think this would cost (labor not parts). I am assuming that they just basically drop the tranny and then the clutch is there to replace and the rear seal is essentaily where the tranny and engine mate (but not exactly). Am i correct in assuming this?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Yes. The rear main seal itself is cheap...I can't remember what I paid but def less than $20.

The only additional work beyond a standard clutch job is that they need to take the flywheel off to access the seal. They may make you buy new flywheel bolts ~$65 since they're not supposed to be reusable. And probably another hour of labor.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Yup.

If you are looking to take advantage of the RMS job, in terms of the clutch without the full cost of a clutch change...you may want to just ask them to toss in a new clutch disk w/o changing/resurfacing anything else. The clutch disk is like $65.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So If I am going to change theRMS I should just do the clutch while they are in there? And also is it detrimental to do as posted above^^^??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts