Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing my own oil and I'm wondering which to use. It currently has a Toyota filter on it but I can't see the number. Is this the best choice? How much does the dealer charge? Is it less at a Toyota dealer? If I buy it at the Lexus dealer than I have a kind of proof it was changed! Any comments.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a good link, I've been using AC Filters in my cars for years and the study bore out my faith in them. AC makes several for Toyota/Lexus cars. I was considering this route also.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Here is a link to a prior thread that should answer your questions:

Link

HTH,
Rob

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MNSpectraBlueIS that the info I wanted thanks for the link

MNSpectra says:
[RANT] WHY must every manufacturer put the oil filter in such a position that it drips all over everything when you remove it? I had a rag under it to catch some, but I still ended up with a puddle on the floor and oil all over the engine compartment under the filter. WHY WHY WHY???? The only sane filter mounts I've seen have been on a '96 Blazer and a '83 Regal. The Blazer was right up front at the botton where it didn't drip on anything else. Oh yeah, and don't spill any around the oil filler hole because you can't clean it up with the big plastic shroud around the engine. Spilling here is a little easy because the filler hole is right-angled and not very big (inside)[/RANT]

I agree, my LS1 (GM) engine had the filter next to the oil pan drain plug straight & vertical. I would fill the new filter with fresh oil berfore spinning it on. Very very easy! Why can't they all be this simple?

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: mjdart ]

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: mjdart ]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice filter info LexusIS886, well done matrix of numbers and pricing.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I found a mistake in the the NTPOG oil filter page...it states that Mini-Mopar site said that the Fram filters had strings on them. That is incorrect because the Mini-Mopar site found strings around the Purolator filters.

·
Registered
241 Posts
At my 5k service, Lexus mobile came out in their van to do the service. The tech used an inverted plastic bag to remove the filter...no oil mess in engine compartment!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man........inverted plastic bag! Very clever I can't believe such a simple solution will prevent such a mess. Thanks

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Anybody know if K&N makes them for our cars yet? I used only these and Purolater in my turbo car.

Would it use the same filter as an N/A Supra?

Thanks,

Kanine21

1 - 12 of 12 Posts