Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, I'm tired of burning my arms when I change my oil filter already. Not to mention that with the strut tower bar it makes it that much more difficult. Has anyone tried the oil filter relocation kits, I've searched and found a couple Permacool and Greddy. Any experiences and tips would be greatly appreciated. Like where to mount the filter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
DHCrocks said:
alright, I'm tired of burning my arms when I change my oil filter already. Not to mention that with the strut tower bar it makes it that much more difficult. Has anyone tried the oil filter relocation kits, I've searched and found a couple Permacool and Greddy. Any experiences and tips would be greatly appreciated. Like where to mount the filter.
Nothing wrong with doing it yourself. But I just paid this local place $16 to change my oil and filte ( I supply the filter and oil).

I think it's well worth it for not getting burned.

Maybe you can wait for your car to cool down overnight and only warm up your car for about 5 minutes before you change the oil next morning.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I know of a person who either will release a complete kit on how to do it or the info to do it. It's not too difficult just time consuming to get all the parts. If you're going to do it you might as well do an oil cooler as well. Also do it right w/ stainless braided lines too.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IS_Dude said:
I know of a person who either will release a complete kit on how to do it or the info to do it. It's not too difficult just time consuming to get all the parts. If you're going to do it you might as well do an oil cooler as well. Also do it right w/ stainless braided lines too.
that's what I wanted to hear...so who do I go to for this wealth of information. If you can get me a kit with everything needed that would be great, but even just a parts list with length of hoses and were to locate everything would cool.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
I believe amsoil makes kits like this..... relocates the filters & they also also has dual stage filter options that are MUCH better than the standard paper oil filters.

These systems increase your oil capacity substantially, which is always good, more oil flowing is more oil to cool & lubricate.....

They also extend your oil drain intervals to 10-12k they are SO much more efficient.., & they simplify the entire oil change process dramatically....

I will be looking into one when the cash flow allows.... i will post any experiences i have...

:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm curious to know who's done this and what brand makes the relocation kit for our car?

I found a GReddy Oil Filter Relocation Kit - Universal 3/4 x 16UNF Fits Most Toyota on the net, not sure if this works or not.

Any comments, suggestions, please.

Thank you,

-D

·
Registered
26 Posts
DHCrocks said:
I don't know what your bitching about, I can take the filter out and not get burned and oil everywhere.. Why don't you just let the car cool after draining the oil and then replace the filter?

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
*bump*
I want to do this... bueller, anyone?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sweet. I need this. The part that is so aggravating is that when I take the filter off, I always spill oil and make a huge mess. This makes it hard to tell if you have an oil leak or not. I was under my car last time and noticed oil residue and wasn't sure if was an actual seeping seal or just mess from the last time.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
also interested in this. has anyone investigated further into the amsoil bypass filter kits? sounds interesting that they say their bypass (extra) filter can filter very small particles compared to the standard filter..

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
what a fkin great idea here...it was so hard for me to get to that filter i just said FK it and put my two arms in there and twisted it out. Had two nasty whip looking burns on my arms :lol: .

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
for the filter relocation I got a engine oil cooler kit from JCWhitney or you can get it anywhere really. It's has the necessary parts to relocate the filter plus you obviously get a small oil cooler as well. Now it only comes with the basic parts like the relo-mount and some rubber hoses and that type of thing. Since it comes w/ the cooler you might want to look elsewhere to get just the parts you need.

I also purchased Stainless Steel braided line and all the sweet alluminum fittings and adapters and such so I could remotely mount the oil cooler and make it look all sweet. I'm going to talk to the dude that hooked me up with all the parts and see if he minds if I post all the part numbers here. Unfortunately I haven't installed all my stuff yet because I've been busy with other upgrades and such. The guy who hooked me up has though so it all fits and works nicely.

I will give you the relocation/cooler B&M kit number though right now. It's the B&M 70261 Import Oil cooler kit.

this oil cooler itself is incredible. It's light as a feather and is black and steathy looking. It is the same cooler that most nascar(i know... I know nascar sucks) teams use for there oil and tranny cooling. It's cheap and high quality.

more info coming....

·
Registered
246 Posts
irv_usc said:
also interested in this. has anyone investigated further into the amsoil bypass filter kits? sounds interesting that they say their bypass (extra) filter can filter very small particles compared to the standard filter..
you dont need a second filter to filter small particals. theres a thing called FilterMag thats some heavy duty magnets that wraps around the filter and sucks the particles to stick to the wall of the filter.
can someone tell me what the diameter of our filters are so i can buy one or these?

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
you must of missed the last sentence of the second paragraph that I wrote, unless you want to see stuff laying on the floor. ;)

stick said:
^^^

Post some pics.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts