Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that run oil coolers, which ones do you run with your boosted applications and where did you get them? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
You could buy the Supra GTE OEM oil to water cooler as well.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Do you just get the GTE water lines then too, or do you have to run your own?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just wondering how necessary an oil cooler is for daily'd turbo cars? I don't have an oil temp gauge so I don't know how high the temp is. I don't take my car to road race, just the daily highway punches and occasional drag strip days every once in a blue moon. Although I think I am going to put an oil cooler in once I finish my GTE swap since I'm going to be running a lot more power than my NA-T.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
^^^ Not necessary at all. Unless you are running WOT for long duration - like top speed pulls or road racing...you won't need it.

But lucky u...u have the GTE so you already have one!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Do you just get the GTE water lines then too, or do you have to run your own?
Prob will have to run your own. A oil to air cooler is prob easier at this point.

Reactions: ISZach

·
Registered
4,615 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
1) Setrab (can't remember how many rows/dimensions). Not boosted though. Imo this is a hot running car, and in Autox and road course situations, the oil can get far too hot. AndrewW's oil stats made me all the more confident that putting in an oil cooler was a good move.

2) For setrabs Earl's and Baker Performance are good places to get them. Why Setrab? Its a cooler company that supplies the "OE" coolers to many car manufactures. It doesn't look fancy (silver, polished or whatever) but will get the job done, and not sport a leak. Be sure to use the included hard ware or even extra stuff to insulate it from vibrations.

Pic of an easy mounting spot. When the time comes, its going down to the fog light area, and to help make up for it's small size, some efficiency baffles whipped up.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
^^^ That kit looks good! Might as well do an oil filter reloc while ur at it. I hate where my filter is now with the GTE motor. The stock oil cooler pushes the filter farther towards the frame rail so when I change the filter, it's a pita because there is no room to maneuver the filter.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I was cheap and didn't relocate, I totally agree a relocation is nice, the oil filter is a pita.

I just don't see how peeps boost without this mod. Evo8s, 9s, RX-7s, 86 GTS corollas, and as you mentioned the Aristo (in a different way)... just to name a few, all have oil coolers OE, and f'ing big ones at that. So to think that the OE GE system can handle spirited driving boosted without one doesn't make sense to me.

I guess with our block being an older engine, and not having the issues that Nissans are having with their lower temp tolerance eco-friendly lead free bearings, there aren't really any bearing failure stories around here that seem to be temp related, but then again a lot of peeps here do freeway pulls (less time, less stress, plenty of air flow (water jacket temps affect oil temps greatly)), and I suppose short spurts of heat related bearing damage can take a long time to manifest.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
another thing that you should have is a oilstat. Otherwise you are cooling all your oil all the time. The oilstat will let the oil come up to temp then open. Important on street driven cars more than track sluts.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
maybe I should look into an oil cooler kit as well. I am going to be ocassionally tracking the car this year and I'm supercharged.

Do you guys recommend this, or would I really not need this ?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
another thing that you should have is a oilstat. Otherwise you are cooling all your oil all the time. The oilstat will let the oil come up to temp then open. Important on street driven cars more than track sluts.
Ya know, the anal side of me really wants to have a Tstat in place, but after much research and conversing with others (one an owner of an Earl's store that fervently felt that the Ttats response time was way too slow and so actually bad for a hard driven car), being in SoCal, the small size of the cooler and the fact I'm using premium synthetic that has good characteristics even when cold, I ended up not going that route... but its always in the back of my mind.

I've been tempted to cover the cooler up if i know I'm going on the freeway, as thats when it will have the most dramatic effect on cooling. But the way I have it mounted right now, its very inefficient (too much space between it and the radiator, making air take the easier route of going around the cooler, rather than through it). When I relocate it, and put the air ducts in place, I'll need to either make an insert for freeway driving, or invest in an oil temp sensor to see how much of a difference its really making and go from there.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Ya know, the anal side of me really wants to have a Tstat in place, but after much research and conversing with others (one an owner of an Earl's store that fervently felt that the Ttats response time was way too slow and so actually bad for a hard driven car), being in SoCal, the small size of the cooler and the fact I'm using premium synthetic that has good characteristics even when cold, I ended up not going that route... but its always in the back of my mind.

I've been tempted to cover the cooler up if i know I'm going on the freeway, as thats when it will have the most dramatic effect on cooling. But the way I have it mounted right now, its very inefficient (too much space between it and the radiator, making air take the easier route of going around the cooler, rather than through it). When I relocate it, and put the air ducts in place, I'll need to either make an insert for freeway driving, or invest in an oil temp sensor to see how much of a difference its really making and go from there.

I came to the same conclusion as you (top paragraph) regarding Oilstat also.... this motor heats up FAST & i felt it was unnecessary to control the oil flow with a Thermostat... my Nexus gauge readings, in my admittedly limited running since i finished the mechanical work on my car & it has finally hit the road again after being parked for a year... the temps rise fast & on a decent 70deg day it floats around 200 210 most of the time...the way i drive ....

Sidebar Question?

WHAT is the DANGER zone for Oil temps...??

What average temp during normal to slightly agressive use should I be seeing...?

ok B O T....

as for your bottom paragraph Sean... i am not sure i unnerstand ... r u fearing you might be cooling the oil TOO much with that cooler when cruising at your average 75-80 MPH ...( ;) ) so much so that you would look into a cover to reduce flow thru it...?... that seems a bit extreme...it doesnt get THAT cold here plus it is a small unit & plenty of air flows around as you noted... moving it closer/ shrouding it with foam to the the condenser grill would prob increase its efficiency a bit......

IMO the coolers that fit where we have them... about what? 4-6 inches by 11-13 inches? do a pretty damn good job of cooling the oil a bit... but it is NOT that dramatic a drop in temps to worry about oil that is getting too cold...

last weekend in a canyon run i had no problem hittin 218 or so Oil temps on a cool afternoon...

Here is my setup, all parts were located on ebay & i reused some surplus racing team Lines & fittings as wel las bought some new fittings where needed...i recommend IF you are going to go for it Just go all the way & relocate your Filter as well.. the additional lines will cost, the remote mount & a different adaptor plate for the block as opposed to the simple adaptor plate that keeps the filter on top of it... BUT they will also provide a little bit more oil capacity and they will increase radiant area for additional heat loss as well.... PLUS you cant imagine how sweeeet it is to swap out a filter in 3 minutes with little effort Vs the struggle & PITA it is to remove replace then clean up the mess after an OEM filter location changing...

it is worth it.!

..... the adaptor on the block w fittings & hoses...

Mocal 4.5x13 cooler ...i recently inverted it from its original mount to clean up the Oil line runs and hide them a bit...plus cleanup the look of the cooler etc thru the grill allowing for cleaner airflow thru the entire system of radiators & coolers up there...

original LMS installed setup...they used simple brackets from the bottom of the cooler to the top of the bumper

new orientation.... reduced 2ft+ of oil line (less weight!)better air flow, and cleaned up the oil line runs across the engine bay dramatically PLUS..now the oil is filtered B4 hitting the cooler...;)....sean.

originally i was going to daisy chain these three in a stack & wedge it behind the drivers side of the grill to really maximize the amt of cooling i could pull outta a really small frontal area ya kno......?

JK...I went with the one at the bottom for my Power steering......;)

PS Cooler, 1st attempt... I ended up repositioning it also so the lines came up from the bottom...:pissed:

BOth coolers now inverted... MUCH cleaner & nicer!!!

the remote filter mounted lower left is in this shot w/an alloy finned radiator cover i found that radiates a shitload of heat, it gets hot as hell when the filter is cooking with fresh hot oil & it radiates alot with those fins.. the line heading down runs across the bottom of the engine with the IC piping & sway bar & the one reaching to the right heads thru the headlight bracketry to the Cooler....

..a little GLowbug testing

Money shot.....thru the grill....
..from last saturday, 1st canyon run in over a year!
(fuking car feels GOOD!! the new IC has to have added 35-40 HP it is just amazing!) i'd like to raise the oil cooler a bit, but it will hit the condenser bracket bolt :pissed: this is the best/only position that would work right and keep things level & clean...

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Those coolers you got are beautiful! And the work you put into your car...dayam. I don't think anyone else has more detailed work than you in that engine bay.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The only thing is that mounting oil coolers upside down is the least efficient in terms of cooling. Reason being that you end uop with an airlock at the top. Flip it over and it will help alot but on the side filling from the bottom is the best.
But it does look prettty.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
F'ing clean Edge'Meister, and you know I'd been around to help with the wiring, if I didn't live so far away. Glad you finished your IC upgrade, but to bad you didn't go the route that cut out some of the piping eh? But its looking GREAT in your current style. What did you resolve for tuning? I finally got the header out, what a tricky bastard.

Yeah what I meant in the 2nd paragraph was being afraid the cooling was too much while cruising because load/BPUs vs. airflow is at it's most dramatic difference. But good thing you can post up some temp stats, as I was afraid all along, this is a really hot running car, and thus I'm not too worried about running my cooler all the time, without something blocking flow.

But when I put the ducting on, I anticipate it's efficiency to skyrocket, and then I'll want to monitor the temps. But again, what is a bad "cold" temp, and I'm sure its dependent on what type of oil you run.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your gorgoeous engine bay made me forget what we were talking about. After a pass or two that I'm around 20psi as opposed to 30-35 after regular driving (at idle). The oil is clearly getting hotter, but not sure how much. Would anyone here add an oil cooler for that?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
The only thing is that mounting oil coolers upside down is the least efficient in terms of cooling. Reason being that you end uop with an airlock at the top. Flip it over and it will help alot but on the side filling from the bottom is the best.
But it does look prettty.

hehehe,.....not so fast my island friend....

when i originally mounted these i ran the motor with them right side up 1st to push out any air in them from the install THEN i inverted them and bolted them in tight.....

Good thinkin tho...... this time I was just that half a step ahead ...:)

ROck on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts