Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am at 38,500 mi. and when I first got my car the original owner used 10W30 , but the factory recommends 5W30. So at my mileage now is it best I stick with the 10w30 or go with the 5w30 on my next oil change. And a few ppl told me to never use 5w30 once I hit high mileage like 70k is this true ?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I know I have never had a problem running 5w30 in any of my high mileage cars. You really can use either one you're not going to see any big benefit or problems using either one. I use 5w30 in mine and im at just under 90k. And i've had a couple of cars over 150,000 miles on them and ran 5w30 fine. If you do have a leak in the motor somewhere yes it will find it easier than 10w30 like my Eclipse but than that helps you find the leak and fix it.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
yo dude, yeah 5w30 for the life of the car. 10w30 on stock engines is typically for harsh weather locations. Houston, be it strange unpredictable, is not harsh. I used 5w30 Synthetic on the stock motor till I pulled it at 130K....no problems what so ever.

At the same time, your milage is VERY low, engine probably hasn't even broken in completely yet. I would just switch to 5w30 synthetic and stick to that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts