Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they supposed to change the oil at 1000 miles? Any feedback on types of oil and how often you change the oil/filter on the IS300? just wanted to see what people's experiences were versus what the maintenance schedule says you're supposed to do..

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think they just check the car at 1000 miles and change the oil at the next interval. Although I don't think my dealership changed my oil when I took it in again at 5000 miles, because at 7500 miles, I decided to switch to synthetic and when I emptied the old oil, it came out all black. I don't think the oil should be black after only 2500 miles of driving.
Sythetic oil is the way to go if you want to keep your car for a long time. If you watch Motorweek, Pat Goss said that he got a chance to look at the Mercedes engine with the 1,000,000+ miles on it and it looked absolutely brand new and the owner had used synthetic from day one.
Just change the oil at every 7500 miles and you're fine, that's assuming you're using sythetic. Change it sooner if you have a supercharger.
The check ups at the dealership is a rip off because they don't really do anything. All they do is "check". I think you only really need to bring it in once your car gets up to the 50,000+ miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO do you think I should just change it anyways to Mobil 1 at the 1000 mile mark even if the schedule doesnt say the first oil change is until 7500? I used to do that with me old bimmers and VWs but I'm not sure how much of an added benefit it would be to change the oil now to synthetic instead of waiting till the 7500 mile mark.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by Deano888:
SO do you think I should just change it anyways to Mobil 1 at the 1000 mile mark even if the schedule doesnt say the first oil change is until 7500? I used to do that with me old bimmers and VWs but I'm not sure how much of an added benefit it would be to change the oil now to synthetic instead of waiting till the 7500 mile mark.

Thanks!

I change ever 5k miles, and have been using synthetic since... I hit the 5k mark. I'm currently at just under 20k, and i have never noticed a drop in the oil, and it's always clean coming out.

·
Mod er 8 er
608 Posts
The 1st service (1 month or 1K miles) is just a safety check and inspection. You get the free oil change at 5K. I got the golf shirt at the 1st service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Deano888, you can wait until 5000 miles, then bring your car in for the second check up and free oil change. When you hit 7500 miles, switch to synthetic Mobile 1. This way, it'll be easier for you to keep track of when you need to change the oil at every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you drive your car hard everytime? If you don't, then changing your sythetic oil too often at 2500 mile interval may be a waste of your money. I heard Amsoil is really good, however expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts