Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
good timing. my little light came on today telling me I got 500 before i need an oil service so I want to know too. How much did it cost?

Also, does getting it done at toyota count as getting it Lexus serviced too? I only ask because if there is any warranty issues with the engine they will void the warranty if all required maintenance is not done with an approved provider.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
good timing. my little light came on today telling me I got 500 before i need an oil service so I want to know too. How much did it cost?

Also, does getting it done at toyota count as getting it Lexus serviced too? I only ask because if there is any warranty issues with the engine they will void the warranty if all required maintenance is not done with an approved provider.
That is absolutely false.

It is illegal to "void" a warranty because you didn't pay a Lexus dealer for service. (just as it's illegal to void a warranty simply because you used something other than an OEM part)

You can do it -yourself- if you want to, or pay anyone on earth to do it, so long as you can prove it was done (ie keep the receipts).

As to cost, every dealer is different, but it'll almost certainly be a lot cheaper at toyota than lexus. Call your local toyota place and just ask em. Ask too if they carry the correct filter or not... if not they're generally perfectly happy to let you bring one in with you.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
As long as you use oil and filters that meet spec, your warranty is just fine. I get filters from Irontoad and then have the oil changed at Bill's Quick Lube. He's been doing my oil changes for almost 15 years.

I think the Toyota filter cartridge is the one with the little drain tube on the end. You might want to check that and order filters if Toyota doesn't have the correct ones.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Yeah, its fine to change it at the Toyota dealership. But I have heard some are reluctant to do it as well.

Talking about that, i have 100 miles left on mine! Gotta do it next week.

And yes, the rattle noise at start up only happens when i am due for an oil change, hence why Bartkat has never heard it as he changes his oil every 3K.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
That is absolutely false.

It is illegal to "void" a warranty because you didn't pay a Lexus dealer for service. (just as it's illegal to void a warranty simply because you used something other than an OEM part)

You can do it -yourself- if you want to, or pay anyone on earth to do it, so long as you can prove it was done (ie keep the receipts).
Gotcha

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I've had my oil changes done at Toyota dealerships many time. Usually around $50, which is hard to find at a Lexus dealership.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
I've had my oil changes done at Toyota dealerships many time. Usually around $50, which is hard to find at a Lexus dealership.
$50 bucks at the Toyota dealership? How much do the Lexus dealership charge you?

I pay $39 at the Lexus dealership.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
$50 bucks at the Toyota dealership? How much do the Lexus dealership charge you?

I've rarely seen a Lexus dealer charging less than $100 for an oil change, based on the numerous threads on the topic here and over at clublexus.

$39 for an oil change at a Lexus dealer is a STEAL and a half.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had mine changed at the nearby Toyota Dealership b/c it's geographically more convenient and they charged me $35. I haven't been to the Lexus dealership here so I'm not sure what they charge. But the mechanic told me it's the same engine as the Avalon so they're pretty familiar with it.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just had mine changed at the nearby Toyota Dealership b/c it's geographically more convenient and they charged me $35. I haven't been to the Lexus dealership here so I'm not sure what they charge. But the mechanic told me it's the same engine as the Avalon so they're pretty familiar with it.
Thx! Good to know. I'm gonna be living in an area that puts the nearest Lexus dealership at least 90 miles away. :(

Did you have to order a special filter from Lexus, or calll ahead to Toyota so they could order it?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
It's not actually the same engine as the Avalon... the Avalon has a 2GR-FE in it (also used in the Camry, ES350, and a bunch of others and uses port injection only).... the IS250 has a 4GR-FSE, not used in any domestic toyotas and uses direct injection.... the IS350 has a 2GR-FSE (also not used in any domestic toyotas but Lexus does use it in the GS as well) that has dual injection (port and direct)

They're all GR series engines, so they have some basic similarities... and they're probably similar enough to not confuse an oil change tech... but I wouldn't want anyone who thought they're all the same doing anything advanced on the car.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

$80 for dead dinosaur juice, $150 for synthetic.

It's in Westport, Conn. One of the most ridiculously overpriced, celebrity-studded towns in the country. They charge for the location.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts