Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.. i remember hearing something about how the engine doesn't like it if u keep switching oils on it. does this mean, it doesn't like it if u change the brand of oil or the type of oil (for instance 5w-20 something like that =P)?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by chromaplast:
5w-30
what's that mean?
I saw those on the bottles but don't know what it means.
I think it is the weight of the oil at cold and warm temperatures. Start up and running temp weight, in other words.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ummm.. i'm no smart guy so wat is an SAE and what is a API, and cis300, what are u referring to? are u answering my question? (which no-one has directly answered yet =P)

·
Registered
176 Posts
yes, jugga i'm answering yr question Society of Automotive Engineer & American Petrolium Institute. switch oil brand won't harm anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
5w-30 means the range of weight of oil that bottle has. So the oil has a mixture of oils ranging from 5w to 30w. You can also get 0W.

At least that is how I understand it. Please if anyone else knows more let us know.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by cis300:
yes, jugga i'm answering yr question Society of Automotive Engineer & American Petrolium Institute. switch oil brand won't harm anything.
Well, doesn't this post make me look like an idiot, just saying what was already said. Doh! I hate when that happens. Responding to a post and someone beats u to it!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by Mcoupe:
5w-30 means the range of weight of oil that bottle has. So the oil has a mixture of oils ranging from 5w to 30w. You can also get 0W.

At least that is how I understand it. Please if anyone else knows more let us know.

Rick Kim
I went and looked for info to back up my previous post and this is where this comes from. http://www.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm
"Multi-weight oils (e.g. - 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscocity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature."

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, which oil is the best?

and so, back to my original question.. changing _Brands_ won't have any adverse effects right?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
yes, jugga chaning brand won't harm anything. I personnally stick w/ brandname oil like: castrol, penzoil, redline. hope dis help

PS hope i beat HIBBOYScott on dis again

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to change the oil yourself on the is300. Is the oil filter accessible and is it tough to get under the car to drain the oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
JoeD
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing