Lexus IS Forum banner

Oil Change, removing oil filter a pain????

9K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Jerm__ 
#1 ·
I am changing my oil (attempting) in my 03 IS300 for the first time. There appears to be a bracket holding some rubber hosing in place obstructing the removal of the oil filter by hand. Has anyone temporarily removed this to change oil or do I need to get someone with small hands. I can't bear to pay LEXUS dealers $90 bucks for an oil change that I can do. Thanks.

B.E.

#6 ·
oil change

small hands usually work. Though 90 bucks for oil change? I sometimes get lazy and have a local shop do it for 20 bucks and I bring my own amsoil. The only downside to that is that they usually torque that thing down and when you change it yourself the next time, it's a "female dog" to get that thing out. I say just bring it to a good local shop to do an oil change for 20 bucks if you bring your own oil. I personally watch them coz I don't like it if I can't see the work being done to my car.

#7 ·
I use Mobil 1 oil filter and full synthetic oil.
When I changed my oil the first time. I didnt drain all the oil out from the filter. It was a big mess. So now on, I wait a good 20-30 mins, before taking out the filter. When I take out my filter, I tilt and wiggle it out by the auto tranny dip stick. You just have to be patient and it just comes out. Just make sure the filter isnt bigger than the hole you are trying to fit it through. ;)

Good Luck

#13 ·
Last couple oil changes I was able to unscrew the filter with my hand but this time I couldn't. I went out and bought a channel lock oil filter wrench, worked awesome. I just unbolted the bracket under the intake manifold and a couple of the bolts holding the wiring harness near the ECU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.