Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum as I just bought my IS. Anyway I've always been accustom to doing my own maintenance and even know this is more of a "luxury" car, it still doesn't change the fact that I know when i do something myself that it's done right, not to mention the dealer quoted something like $75 for an oil change and I don't trust outfits like Jiffy lube. I'm only at 1,800 miles and the dealership will do my first oil change at 5,000 for free, so this is nothing I have to prepare for right away, but curious for the answers none the less.

Oil filters... Is the OEM one the best? Think I was quoted like $8-9 bucks for one. I used to use purolator filters on my past vehicles as they were a decent cost effective filter

Drain plug gasket... Again I think the dealer wanted like $5 for these little buggers, do you guys strongly recommend going with the dealership ones or are there more cost effective options?

Oil... When I asked the service guy at the dealer about synthetic vs regular motor oil he didn't have much of an opinion really. Do you guys feel synthetic is a better option for the 250? Does it matter for these engines? I actually have about a dozen quarts of Castrol 5-30 synthetic blend, so...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum as I just bought my IS. Anyway I've always been accustom to doing my own maintenance and even know this is more of a "luxury" car, it still doesn't change the fact that I know when i do something myself that it's done right, not to mention the dealer quoted something like $75 for an oil change and I don't trust outfits like Jiffy lube. I'm only at 1,800 miles and the dealership will do my first oil change at 5,000 for free, so this is nothing I have to prepare for right away, but curious for the answers none the less.

Oil filters... Is the OEM one the best? Think I was quoted like $8-9 bucks for one. I used to use purolator filters on my past vehicles as they were a decent cost effective filter

Drain plug gasket... Again I think the dealer wanted like $5 for these little buggers, do you guys strongly recommend going with the dealership ones or are there more cost effective options?

Oil... When I asked the service guy at the dealer about synthetic vs regular motor oil he didn't have much of an opinion really. Do you guys feel synthetic is a better option for the 250? Does it matter for these engines? I actually have about a dozen quarts of Castrol 5-30 synthetic blend, so...

Thanks!
I get my OEM parts from Auto Parts and accessories for Toyota BMW Lexus and Honda irontoad.com they are usually a littler cheaper. Additionally you can buy the same parts from a Toyota dealership and they're usually cheaper.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
OEM filter and drain plug gaskets you can order online. Order a bunch at a time if you plan on regularly changing the oil yourself. I would put synthetic in there from the get-go. There are a ton of threads on oil changes and types of oil etc.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Just re-use. They are good for at least a few changes. Or go get some filters from the dealer...they may be nice enough to throw them in free...or not. LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Considering your car is new, I'd go with the recommended oil change parts and oil for now. You'll probably begin to get used to the car and how it runs so eventually you'll be able to make that decision on your own.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

Thanks!

As far as filter I don't think you have many options, it's a paper element/cone, or whatever that is called, it's not a "can" filter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I would go with OEM filter if that was the case. Oil is your own choice/preference, but I would go with Synthetic (Mobil 1 is what I've been using for last 70K mi on my IS300, with 5K intervals). Or if you on budget get a quality conventional oil (Valvoline Premium Conventional Oil)

And there is nothing wrong with doing it yourself, I don't care if you own a Kia or a Porsche there is nothing wrong with doing your own oil changes if you know how that is.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
just pony up and pay while your car is under warranty. as a Service Adviser myself nothing pisses a customer off more than when they come in with internal engine problems and we ask for oil change reciepts "Well I do them myself, who the hell keeps those?!" If your car is under warranty have it done at a place that can keep computer records and keep your reciepts if you dont have them done at the dealer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, I was told by a service guy at my Lexus dealership that so long as I log the oil changes in the maintenance manual that I would be safe. Do you disagree with this. I dunno if that meant I need to save receipts for parts bought & stuff like that as well or am required to use Lexus only parts or I void the warranty on the engine, which seams absurd. I know the dealership has to protect itself, but I'm sorry $75 for an oil change is just nuts.

They wanted over $200 for the 10K mile service which all they do is change the oil and air filter or something like that. I know it was an expensive car to begin with, but I like to get my hands dirty and don't enjoy taking it up the shorts just so I'm "Legit" if something goes wrong with the engine. Far as I'm concerned if something does go wrong with the engine then it's up to the dealer to analyze the oil themselves to prove it was bad or I caused the problem for them not to honor the warranty

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Tom, I was told by a service guy at my Lexus dealership that so long as I log the oil changes in the maintenance manual that I would be safe. Do you disagree with this. I dunno if that meant I need to save receipts for parts bought & stuff like that as well or am required to use Lexus only parts or I void the warranty on the engine, which seams absurd. I know the dealership has to protect itself, but I'm sorry $75 for an oil change is just nuts.

They wanted over $200 for the 10K mile service which all they do is change the oil and air filter or something like that. I know it was an expensive car to begin with, but I like to get my hands dirty and don't enjoy taking it up the shorts just so I'm "Legit" if something goes wrong with the engine. Far as I'm concerned if something does go wrong with the engine then it's up to the dealer to analyze the oil themselves to prove it was bad or I caused the problem for them not to honor the warranty
Don't let the dealer bully you with any shit. The fact is if you feel confident and you know what you are doing than do it. And save money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i prefer OEM oil filter no matter what, even though its made in taiwan lol. regarding the gasket, just stick to the used one after 2-3 changes. On engine oil it depends if you're planning to punch the 2jz or not. If so, go with mobil 1 synthetic oil. If not, go with penzoil pure base.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts