Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search function is not working. How in the WORLD do you get the filter out of the car? I unscrewed it from the top, but it wouldn't fit between the engine block and side of the engine bay. I eventually had to unscrew a bunch of plastic from the bottom and snake my arm through all the hoses to pull it out and put a new one on. It was the worst oil change of my life.

Are there any tricks?!?!?!?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,676 Posts
wiggle it up thru side of intake manifold runner and shock tower... it fits. or have a friend use a prybar or broomstick and pry motor a little to passenger side t ogive u more room. BUT it does come out - tight fit but it does come out thru top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just talked to the dealership. Apparently, that is the only way to get the filter out. Remove the whole plastic tray underneath and snake your hand up to the filter. What a joke. Must have been a cruel trip the Japaneses played on us. "Let's see those dumb Americans try to change their own oil in their IS300's. muhuhahaha" :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,676 Posts
Ummmmm no...... I can guaranteee u ur dealer is foolish. I can also guarantee you that almost 99% of IS300 owners who change their oil pop the filter out the top.

Good Luck... Im done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BigDaddyRich said:
wiggle it up thru side of intake manifold runner and shock tower... it fits. or have a friend use a prybar or broomstick and pry motor a little to passenger side t ogive u more room. BUT it does come out - tight fit but it does come out thru top.
Short of moving the motor as you said, I didn't see anyway to get the filter out from the top. I'll have to look at what you're talking about with the manifold and shock tower because I couldn't figure out a way to pull it out last night from the top....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,375 Posts
thats total BS. i take mine out from the top. strut bar still on. i dont move a thing. it slides right out.

only thing that may be different is the steering column area on an automatic. i think its different than the manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,676 Posts
I'll post a pic tonight with me sliding a new filter into the car thru the spot. I think SophieSleeps may have made a tutorial on Oil Filter removal. Not sure though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigDaddyRich said:
I'll post a pic tonight with me sliding a new filter into the car thru the spot. I think SophieSleeps may have made a tutorial on Oil Filter removal. Not sure though.
That would be awesome, I would really appreciate a picture!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
For the automatic, the transmission dipstick gets in the way a bit. It helps to remove the one 10mm bolt that holds the dipstick to the intake manifold. Once you are able to move this you can snake the filter out like that. You must first put the filter into a plastic bag before removing it unless you want to sump the oil all over the engine bay.

In the Lexus service manual it specifies to remove the filter from the bottom after removing part of the plastic under panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much, Hiroshima! Moving that transmission dip stick would have made a huge difference. I will definitely use your write-up for the next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
quikagc5 said:
Just talked to the dealership. Apparently, that is the only way to get the filter out. Remove the whole plastic tray underneath and snake your hand up to the filter. What a joke. Must have been a cruel trip the Japaneses played on us. "Let's see those dumb Americans try to change their own oil in their IS300's. muhuhahaha" :rolleyes:

The best way to do it is take off the plastic panel and sell it to me because I dont have one then you can change your oil much easier. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
you can by a special kinda tool on toyota it make life much easier but it made out of plastic and i alredy broke 4 of them ...:))
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top