Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hell of time taking off the oil filter. First, the thing was put on way to tight. Then to snake the thing out had to move the transmission dip stick and tranny oil line. A warning that I have is the 08922-02011 replacement filters are a different diameter than the 90915-20003 original equipment ones so you will need a different oil filter wrench (which I highly recommend). Another is that you will spill oil from the filter no matter how careful you are, some of it is ending up on the floor. One bright spot is that I was able to use my Big Boy multipurpose vacuum pump to suck the oil from the dipstick tube. Got every last drop out and then some. One other note; noticed that the filter I took off was made in Japan and had an orange colored gasket, replacement filter is made in USA and has a black gasket. Has anyone tried buying a filter at the Lexus dealer? If so, did you get the 08922-02011 or the replacement 90915-20003?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Delta,

Where did you get the replacement filter 08922-02011 from? And did the parts dept guy said its for IS 300? I ask this because that number is OEM for 1998 NA Supra. Equivalent filter to that would be Mobil 1's M1-102 according to cross referencing. I noticed that Mobil 1 filter number will fit other Lexus vehicles as well.

Well I used that Mobil 1 filter since its the same as the OEM for Supra on my IS. The oil change wasn't that messy. But damn it took a while to get the filter through the dipstick, tubing area.

Also did you notice O ring being used in the oil drain plug?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Here is a link to a prior discussion about this topic: http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum1/HTML/001838.html

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
625 Posts
Both the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE use the same oil filter, so I guess I can throw my 2 cents in. We just had topics on this subject on the Supra mail list. The 90915-20003 filter is the better filter. They took it apart and found it was made of better quality and parts internal. This is a Japanese OEM part I believe made by Denso. You can tell by the Orange gasket ring, it is wrapped in plastic and pre-oiled(when new in box). Not sure where the American oil filter 08922-02011 is made but it uses a tightly packed paper filter(which isnt good for high flowing) and is made here.

Some of the more well experianced people on the list recommend the Toyota filter made for the V-8, part# 90915-20004(notice how the part # is close to the Japanese OEM), which uses a crystal filter. It is longer then the regular ones but fits, also has the orange gasket, wrapped in plastic and pre-oiled. Might want to try that one. I take my filter out through the top also after I remove the battery (better then spilling oil on my face). I use the Mobil 1 filter myself..cant tell the differance anyways but its all "peace of mind". TRD has a oil filter also which is smaller, part# 00642-90915-001.

------------------
KP
94 6 speed
BPU

[This message has been edited by SupraSport (edited October 26, 2000).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts