Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, would putting an oil catch can on an NA is300 be stupid and completely pointless or not really?? I really like how it looks in the engine but wanna know 1st what you guys think.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, after some searching, I found out that the Oil Catch Can traps oil from entering the intake manifold, and therefore from getting into the engine, so it is not burned and doesn't cause problems. I read that this is primarily necessary for boosted cars, so I'm not sure of the N/A benefit, can someone more knowledgeable ring in?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
well, oil catch cans are mainly for boosted cars. high boost applications tend to have more blow by oil which comes from the crankcase. which is why they need oil catch cans because the oil doesnt need to be directed back through the intake.

you can install one for your n/a car, but it will mainly be for looks. it definately doesnt hurt though. it just filters whatever blow by oil you get from coming into your throttle body

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
unless your crank case is getting boost instead of vacuume, either from a turbo ap, or completely blown rings, you shouldnt need one. Its there to catch the oil that blows through to the intake.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Your crank case vents oil vapors through the same tube FI guys route to the catch can for blowby... for emissions. Instead of venting oil fumes to atmo it recycles them, reburns them, and emitts them as exhaust.

As stated above, unless your engine is very broken... a catch can on an NA car is only for looks.

Don't do it. I would make fun of you at a show. Loudly. ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
A catch can on a N/A will help in keeping the engine bay clean as the oil fumes are not being vented to atmosphere, so the benefits are slight more than bling value alone.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
62betty said:
A catch can on a N/A will help in keeping the engine bay clean as the oil fumes are not being vented to atmosphere, so the benefits are slight more than bling value alone.

Incorrect... on the OEM intake and most aftermarket intakes... the "blowby" hose (probably has an official name like "valvecover ventillation apparatus" or something) is routed back into the intake, so oil fumes are sucked back into the motor.

By your logic, routing the hose into a catch can would expose the oil vapors to open air (the top of most catch cans have vents) where they would escape into the engine bay... making your engine bay dirtier (if the qty of oil fumes we're talking about actually has some effect on engine bay sparkliness.)

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I stuck a coke can with 2 tubes in it into my engine bay. When I go to race spots I tell everyone that my catch can gives me 15 whp.

Nah but really its for boosted people, every honda person has one.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
silver5spd said:
I stuck a coke can with 2 tubes in it into my engine bay. When I go to race spots I tell everyone that my catch can gives me 15 whp.

Nah but really its for boosted people, every honda person has one.

I was actually going to use a test tube... if you're blowing by enough oil to fill a catch can... eesh.

Plus, test tube is clear so I can actually see how much oil is in there... and it's easily removed and cleaned (in the sink, or with God-remover)

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
dasgalloway said:
I was actually going to use a test tube... if you're blowing by enough oil to fill a catch can... eesh.

Plus, test tube is clear so I can actually see how much oil is in there... and it's easily removed and cleaned (in the sink, or with God-remover)
Honda-tech has alot of innovative catchcan designs, anything from a propane tank to pepsi bottles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
dasgallowayBy your logic said:
making your engine bay dirtier[/B] (if the qty of oil fumes we're talking about actually has some effect on engine bay sparkliness.)
Not if the outlet pipe is fitted with a filter to prevent any oil vapours which are not condensed into the tank from escaping.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
62betty said:
Not if the outlet pipe is fitted with a filter to prevent any oil vapours which are not condensed into the tank from escaping.

And thus you've gotten back to the same level of "engine cleanliness" you have without the catch can.

Your suggestion is valid, but only fixes a theoretical problem with running a catch can you don't have when routing back to intake.

I still stand by my statement that "a catch can on an NA car is only for looks". ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I will have to disagree with Das on this one. My IS before boost had some blow by. After 80K miles open your plenum up and look at all the crud that has built up. A catch can won't so much help keep the exterior cleaner but an abnormal amount of oil in the can would be a good indicator of a problem.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
JoeyD said:
I will have to disagree with Das on this one. My IS before boost had some blow by. After 80K miles open your plenum up and look at all the crud that has built up. A catch can won't so much help keep the exterior cleaner but an abnormal amount of oil in the can would be a good indicator of a problem.

An abnormal amount of oil in the intake plenum would also be an indicator of a problem.

Are you sure that what you saw in the intake wasn't just caused by 80k miles of oil vapor smacking into the wall and eventually building up?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am sure thats what it was.

However, most boosted guys don't open their plenum up on a regular basis and I would venture a guess that your average NA guy will almost never open theirs. So the clear tube on the side of a catch can is a good easy way to keep and eye on things.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts