Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my car serviced recently, engine changed out. I notice there was sludge and fresh oil in the plenum of my old engine. I researched on how to prevent that, so far I've ended up with a an oil catch can as a solution. There many different setups and many reasons on why or why not should you install one N/A or Turbo. I installed one for the hell of it. I went with a Mishimoto Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can. The engine compartment is so compact, it hard to place a normal catch can anywhere, I placed it wherever space I could find without the hassle of maintenance or rubbing against other components. It's not the cleanest setup, but its functional. I will find new ways to make it more clean looking, but this will do for now. Since it was a universal can I had to find the right fittings, the Intake blow-by port is 1/4, the exhaust side is 1/2. I also had to ghetto rigged the can bolt it to the fuse box. the can itself is is a 3 port can: 2 inlet, one outlet. On the the outlet side had to split it with a T fitting, on the line leading to the port past the throttle body I had to use 1/2 adapter 1/2-3/8 and then 3/8-1/4. I cant use the 1/2 or the 3/8 straight to the valve port bc it will idle high (above 1000rpm). I was able to regulate that using the 1/4 fitting. Now at normal operating temperatures it idles just below 1000rpm. In short driving distance, i was able to collect alot condensation. In normal driving, I was getting a milky coming through the exhaust port into the inlet catch can. Unfortunately, the milky residue was making its way to the outlet ports. I've contact Mishimoto for a solution, that is pending.

if anyone is considering of putting in a catch can, I'd say do it. this modification may be controversial, no performance gain in my opinion. I willing to to do this to minimize engine degradation.

please share catch can setups

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Umm. You have it hooked up wrong. The concept is to route air in on the passenger side and out the drivers side via the pcv valve. You have essentially negated the system and bypassed the pcv system altogether. The air will follow the path of least resistance. In this case, from the air tube to the intake. Its simple really. You install it between the pcv and intake port. Not sure why you have miles of hose across the engine.

The froth you are getting is most likely due to not getting enough air flow thru the engine. Fix the hoses and the froth will disappear. If you dont, your motor oil will get contaminated with condensation and ruin your motor. Water is not a good lubricator.

You may have modeled it after a boosted car, but you are not boosted from what I see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just put everything back together like factory, now the car stalls.
but when I reinstalled the catch can it idles normal. this thing got me scratching my head now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it, it idles normal.
so basically I only have connect intake side for the catch can (Intake valve cover and plenum).
what about the exhaust valve cover intake pipe?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I didn't think this was a direct inject engine (wouldn't bet money on it). If it's not direct inject, an oil catch can really doesn't do anything for you, does it?? I know it's a big deal for direct inject engines.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I didn't think this was a direct inject engine (wouldn't bet money on it). If it's not direct inject, an oil catch can really doesn't do anything for you, does it?? I know it's a big deal for direct inject engines.
Direct injection engines work the same as port injected so I'm not clear what you mean. Turbo engines have other issues with the PCV because sometime the intake is in vacuum and sometimes it's under pressure.

Most PCV systems have a vent on one valve cover and the PCV valve to vacuum on the other. When the engine is running making a vacuum, fumes are vacuumed out of the engine and burned while the vent allows clean air from the intake into the engine. The PCV valve is a calibrated vacuum leak which the ECU can compensate for. It knows how much air leaks and measures the total air with the MAF.

Some cars, when the engines are run a high RPM's, the pressure in the engine gets high enough to force oil out of the vent side and into the intake. When that happens, you get oil into the intake manifold which burns and can cause detonation.

So, if your car spews oil into the intake. Some people install a catch can to collect up the oil that spews out. In that case you'd just have a catch can on the line between the valve cover vent and the intake tube.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've never found a straight answer on this.
If the PCV is removed and tapped for the catch can: will there be a check engine light with the factory ECU in combination with a standalone?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on my catch can, it really is a simple setup. I was overthinking about the whole situation. Im really happy how the way it turned out.
Now on the intake, side the OE hose spec states possibly 3/8 hose (I can be wrong). I believe its the measurement of the hose itself and not the size diameter of the inner hose. I measured it at a local napa store, it turns out to be 1/4 diameter within the hose. changed everything out. I got a 2 port catch can instead of a 3 port, change fittings 3/8 to a 1/4. So far it does what it meant to do. this is driving for about maybe under 500 miles. No froth, no change in idle, and no leaks. I didn't know that much oil was to go into my intake. It may not look much, to me that is a lot of oil.

My personal observation. I don't know if having headers will have an affect with the oil catch can. I had the magna flow headers w/ cats on and I switch back to stock due to fitment issues. But what I noticed is the catch can was collecting more oil with stock headers than the aftermarkets. I have no explanation on why....

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
So can you show us how it looks like now please!? And about to do mine I need to know how you done it properly and mine has 2 in and outlets as well.

I’ve added a photo of my engine bay, which one is gonna be in the intake side or the other side!?

Attachments

·
3,880 Posts
So can you show us how it looks like now please!? And about to do mine I need to know how you done it properly and mine has 2 in and outlets as well.

I’ve added a photo of my engine bay, which one is gonna be in the intake side or the other side!?
Old tread. I assume you are wanting what to hook it to. Take both PCV valve and connect them to the inlet on the catch can. The outlet on the catch can will go to the inlet on the turbo or vent to atmosphere with a filter on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
“Vent to atmosphere with a filter on it” can you show me a pic? My filter connected to turbo directly. And my can has only 2 outlet/inlet not a 3rd one.

·
3,880 Posts
As far as ports. Just put a y connector to split it into 2. As fas as pictures of filters on catch cans. There are thousands of pictures on the web. Just search google.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as ports. Just put a y connector to split it into 2. As fas as pictures of filters on catch cans. There are thousands of pictures on the web. Just search google.
Yeah 1000s of pictures not every car is setup as IS. Different motors and mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts