Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to hear from y'all to see if this is normal for my 275,500 mile IS 300. It appears I am down about a half a quart over 3500 miles. No visible leaks: VVTi seals, cam and crank seals have been replaced this year. I am using the Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your PCV valve to see whether it's still functioning correctly. I had a good amount of oil burn even with only 120K miles and replaced the PCV valve and hose a month ago. After a good amount of mileage (currently at 124K now) I am not experiencing significant oil burn anymore. It's super easy to replace yourself (just recommend having a larger wrench set to be able to get the PCV valve loose).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your PCV valve to see whether it's still functioning correctly. I had a good amount of oil burn even with only 120K miles and replaced the PCV valve and hose a month ago. After a good amount of mileage (currently at 124K now) I am not experiencing significant oil burn anymore. It's super easy to replace yourself (just recommend having a larger wrench set to be able to get the PCV valve loose).
PCV valve is brand new 3500 miles ago

·
3,227 Posts
You should be using a heavier weight oil with that mileage. You should be changing it at every 3000 or 3 months if it sits a lot. But the heavier oil should help. You should be using around 10/40 to 15/50.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You should be using a heavier weight oil with that mileage. You should be changing it at every 3000 or 3 months if it sits a lot. But the heavier oil should help. You should be using around 10/40 to 15/50.
Id agree, should be using a heavier weight oil with that mileage. Personally i would expect if the motor at that mileage (even half that mileage unless its been driven by a nana all its life) has never had new rings it would be burning at least some oil, and the thinner it is the easier to get past the worn rings and valve seals.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a 2JZ I don't drive anymore with 250k mi, been using 0W30 full-synthetic since I owned it and never had this kind of issue. Be careful with heavier weight oils, especially if you live somewhere with any kind of winter. You'll definitely want to warm that thing up before driving if you go this route.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Temperature where I live ranges from 20F in Winter to 100F in Summer... I have heard a lot of mixed information of using a thicker oil.

I am debating on using a 5 or 10W 40 full synthetic high mileage oil and changing it every 3K miles.

This car has been an easy driven commuter car. Never modded...

I bought this car with 11K miles back in 2004 and have always used 5W30 M1 full synthetic oil

·
Registered
700 Posts
Try getting on the accelerator hard once (after warmed up) and have someone check your exhaust gas; burning oil should turn the exhaust black. You may see deposits back there too if it's been this way a while. You can also inspect your spark plugs for deposits; if you haven't changed them in a while then all the more reason to get in there.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
Against popular belief here. Oil should be selected based on two things.

1. What the manufacturer recommends in the owner manual.

2. weather in your area.

#1 should be of the utmost importance. People saying to switch to heavier oils is a myth in my book. In fact there are many manufacturers that specifically state DONT use any oil heavier than what’s recommended. Newer engines (including ours) were built tighter clearances than those of the 80’-90’s (where this myth was probably FACT)

Heavier oils provide worse start up protection especially if you live in cold weather. I have been using 5w-30 conventional oil on my 2001 Yukon XL for 12 years now. The truck has 312k miles on it. Original engine and transmission NEVER touched. It doesn’t burn a drop of oil. I change it every 4,000 miles. That is the recommended oil weight from GMC and I never deviated from that.

I use the recommended oil weight in every car. My Benz takes 0w-40 Mobil one And the mileage interval is 10k miles! But I follow it.

That being said, there is ALWAYS the possibility that an engine will eventually wear to a point where it will burn SOME oil. Nothing is perfect. I know I have seen a many early 2000’s Corollas with very black bumpers. Burning oil can happen. A 1/2 quart in 3,500 miles is negligible in my book. E39 M5s were known to burn some oil between changes and it even states it in the owners manual that it is normal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To me, this is perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned with. My 2003 has ~230K and I also use Mobil 1 high mile 5W-30 as well. I change at 5K intervals and I'm down about a quart by then. You are down less than half a quart at 3500 miles and you have quite a few more miles than I do. My driving pre covid was about 75% highway and I don't beat on the car, which is totally stock. Different cars use oil at different rates. My 450K (miles) MB diesel would not use any Rotella dino oil between 3K change intervals. My 2004 XC70 drinks Mobil 1 5W30 at ~2 quarts per 3K with 245K on it. My 06 330i with 150K drank the same oil at about the same rate as the Volvo. None of these cars smoked or leaked anything other than the odd drop. Drive your car and enjoy it. I'm with ill above. Toyota recommends 5W30. Use it.

By the way, on BMW's, here is a statement from BMW which is quoted on Consumer Reports web site: “Oil consumption is normal on all engines,” BMW spokesman Hector Arellano-Belloc said in an e-mailed statement. “BMW vehicles have long intervals between oil changes (10,000 miles). BMW engines (excluding the BMW M) may consume up to one quart of engine oil per 750 miles under certain driving conditions.” He added that BMW’s M performance models may consume even more oil than that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To me, this is perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned with. My 2003 has ~230K and I also use Mobil 1 high mile 5W-30 as well. I change at 5K intervals and I'm down about a quart by then. You are down less than half a quart at 3500 miles and you have quite a few more miles than I do. My driving pre covid was about 75% highway and I don't beat on the car, which is totally stock. Different cars use oil at different rates. My 450K (miles) MB diesel would not use any Rotella dino oil between 3K change intervals. My 2004 XC70 drinks Mobil 1 5W30 at ~2 quarts per 3K with 245K on it. My 06 330i with 150K drank the same oil at about the same rate as the Volvo. None of these cars smoked or leaked anything other than the odd drop. Drive your car and enjoy it. I'm with ill above. Toyota recommends 5W30. Use it.

By the way, on BMW's, here is a statement from BMW which is quoted on Consumer Reports web site: “Oil consumption is normal on all engines,” BMW spokesman Hector Arellano-Belloc said in an e-mailed statement. “BMW vehicles have long intervals between oil changes (10,000 miles). BMW engines (excluding the BMW M) may consume up to one quart of engine oil per 750 miles under certain driving conditions.” He added that BMW’s M performance models may consume even more oil than that.

After all the work I did in the spring to clean up any leaks.... cam seals/crank seal/vvti cam o ring replacement. New valve covers, spark plugs, pcv, etc.... I think its has improved from 1 qt low per 5K miles

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
After all the work I did in the spring to clean up any leaks.... cam seals/crank seal/vvti cam o ring replacement. New valve covers, spark plugs, pcv, etc.... I think its has improved from 1 qt low per 5K miles
What is your avatar? It looks like a character from destiny.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So It has been about 3300 miles since last change. Drained out right near 5 quarts+filter
New oil on left, old on right

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
Looks like some old oil. But then again that’s what it should look like.

Reactions: TobiasSing
1 - 20 of 23 Posts