Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my Lexus I used Duralube (which lasts 50,000 miles.) It bonds to the metal sufaces in the engine to reduce friction thus reducing wear. 80% of all engine wear occurs when you start your engine, as all the engine oil is at the bottom of the pan. Several of my friends recommended it so I tried it. I could defintely tell a difference in performance. The car seemed to accelerate faster (from what I could tell). Do any of you guys use such additives? I haven't used it in the E55 yet and would be skeptical to use it in the TT because it's turbo charged...
Eric...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
no...eventually the coating breaks off into solid pieces and can foul oil lines, especially in a turbo, where lack of coolant oil can result in coking.

all the additives, etc. are all BS. don't waste ur money.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by geoff:
no...eventually the coating breaks off into solid pieces and can foul oil lines, especially in a turbo, where lack of coolant oil can result in coking.

all the additives, etc. are all BS. don't waste ur money.
Really? I never heard anything like that. I started using duralube in the GS400 at a little past 10,000 miles and had no problem up through the time I traded it in at 42K miles. I know there are a lot of bad additives, but I thought that Duralube was proven effective in the long term.
Eric....

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
i base most of my comments off of the many tech sessions i've attended in the SME PCA. the porsche techs that give these classes are no BS guys, often from motorsport backgrounds. they'll tell you if a product is good (they go ape over mobil 1), and they'll tell you if a product sucks (most of them do). if you want to believe the hype and spend the money, it probably won't kill your car. but it's completely unnecessary -- a good, low-weight, high-quality synthetic oil is more than enough. the "damage upon startup" is pure marketing FUD.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stick to Castrol Syntec and have heard a lot of good things about that oil. I bring my own oil to the dealer instead of having them rip me off...
Eric...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking at 5W 30, Mobil 1 Synthetic is better than Castrol Synthec due to higher VI and Flash. And if Porsche Turbo uses it Porsche Engineers should know what is best for the engine (unless they got paid by Mobil to use their oil). I already bought a case of Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I prefer Mobile 1, and I think Longo Lexus uses as their default oil as well.
As far as oil additive goes, I have tried and tested Prolong Super Lubricant, and I have to say the stuff is pretty amazing. I cannot tell what it did for the engine in the Eclipse except making it rev smoother, but I can tell from the spray can lubricant for other applications that it works better than other lubricants I have tried and last decently long.
However, don't use Prolong's car wash stuff, they suck.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I happen to believe that these oil additives work. I've tried duralube and was satisfied with the results... As far as synthetics are concerned, I prefer Castrol Syntec to Mobil 1 and have used both. I prefer the Castrol simply because I was getting better engine perfomance...
Eric...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Erick, there is a small plaque on the front cross member of your engine compartment that says blah blah blah AMG Mobil one, got one on my vette, you trust'em with building the car and then second guess them on how to operate it?????????? What do you think they run in the CLK GTR1???

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
he *knows* he's getting better engine performance, despite 9 of 10 motorsport experts recommending mobil 1.

um, okay

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
you ask for advice, people tell you pretty much one thing across the board, and then you just stick to original inclinations, despite a preponderance of info to the contrary?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Geoff,
Obviously you haven't followed any of my postings. Look back at all the postings I've made in the past. I ask for advice and the responses I get are well taken. This post was about oil additives, and not the oil itself. Ckolsen asked which oil was better and I simply stated which oil that I preferred. I write one post which I voice my opinion and you jump down my throat. You should improve your reading comprehension skills Geoff instead of passing judgement on simply one post.... Find me examples of when I refutted the answers of the questions I asked in other postings...
Eric..

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
Geoff,
Obviously you haven't followed any of my postings. Look back at all the postings I've made in the past. I ask for advice and the responses I get are well taken. This post was about oil additives, and not the oil itself. Ckolsen asked which oil was better and I simply stated which oil that I preferred. I write one post which I voice my opinion and you jump down my throat. You should improve your reading comprehension skills Geoff instead of passing judgement on simply one post.... Find me examples of when I refutted the answers of the questions I asked in other postings...
Eric..
i can read just fine, thank u very much. and i've been around long enough to read your several million topics -- don't patronize me. this began as oil additives and -- quite naturally -- morphed into oil. i don't care about what u did in other threads, i care about this thread.

tell ya what: do whatever you want erick. my .02 is to go with castrol and as much oil additive you can handle. nevermind what certifed porsche techs have to say, as well as many high-end manufacturers.

btw, you say that you prefer castrol to mobil 1 because u were getting better engine performance. really? how so? did you dyno? measure engine temps with a digital scope between the two? how's the cylinder drag stack up between them? 0-speed times better? do tell. there are many experts out there that would love to hear how their findings are plain wrong.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
oil additives dont' do jack. if they did, don't you think companies like Mobil waht put it into mobil1 and all the other oil brands out there? if there really was a use for it, they would include it WITH the oil to stiffen up the competition or whatever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
plau2572
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing