Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to hook up the following:

Two 12” Orion XTR Series 2 Woofers - http://www.orioncaraudio.com/alley/pdfs/xtrsers2sub.pdf

Orion 275 SX Amplifier - http://www.orioncaraudio.com/alley/pdfs/sxgshcca2gen.pdf

I realize that I need a line converter and I know how to wire speakers and where to wire them to. I have read all posts in regards to this subject. What I am not clear on is OHMS Law. I realize that you can wire these speakers in parallel or in series but I have no idea what I should do because the whole ohms issue screws with my head.

I know my amp runs at 2 Ohms Stereo which is 4 Ohms mono. I am in the process of finding out if my speakers are SVC or DVC so I am not sure yet what Ohms they run at (either 4 or 2/8).

How would you wire these to get the most punch out of what I have? What configuration? Can I run parallel or series on a two-channel amp with two subs?

·
8,880 Posts
Ohm's law:
In series:
R=R1+R2
In parallel:
1/R=1/R1+1/R2

If you're wiring 2 subs which are 4 ohms each in series, you get 8 ohm total resistance. If you do them in parallel, you end up with 2 ohms.

I know it doesn't help you much. I'm sure other people will chime in.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
LLLexus said:

Two 12” Orion XTR Series 2 Woofers - http://www.orioncaraudio.com/alley/pdfs/xtrsers2sub.pdf

Orion 275 SX Amplifier - http://www.orioncaraudio.com/alley/pdfs/sxgshcca2gen.pdf

I realize that I need a line converter and I know how to wire speakers and where to wire them to. I have read all posts in regards to this subject. What I am not clear on is OHMS Law. I realize that you can wire these speakers in parallel or in series but I have no idea what I should do because the whole ohms issue screws with my head.

I know my amp runs at 2 Ohms Stereo which is 4 Ohms mono. I am in the process of finding out if my speakers are SVC or DVC so I am not sure yet what Ohms they run at (either 4 or 2/8).

How would you wire these to get the most punch out of what I have? What configuration? Can I run parallel or series on a two-channel amp with two subs?

The easiest way I can say this:
When series you simply add the resistance.
In a parallel circuit you add and divide the resistance.

I.E.
x+y
-----
x *y

4+4= 8
--------
4*4= 16

16/8= 2

4+8= 12
----------
4*8= 32

32/12=2.67

2+2= 4
---------
2*2= 4

4/4= 1

8+8= 16
---------
8*8= 64

64/16= 4

Do you get it? Now a series/parallel connection gets a bit more complicated. Parallel gets hooked up by connecting + to + and - to -.
Series is done by connecting + of amp to + of speaker 1. - from amp to - of speaker 2. The connect speaker 2 + to speaker 1 -.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get that concept too. But which provides more punch and uses the full power of my amp...Parallel right? Look at the specs...will my amp be able to handle running these in parallel or will it be too hot?

The amp can only handle 2 ohm stereo...4 ohm mono. Won't running them parallel be 2 ohm mono which is 1 ohm stereo which would be too much for this amp?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
LLLexus said:
I get that concept too. But which provides more punch and uses the full power of my amp...Parallel right? Look at the specs...will my amp be able to handle running these in parallel or will it be too hot?

The amp can only handle 2 ohm stereo...4 ohm mono. Won't running them parallel be 2 ohm mono which is 1 ohm stereo which would be too much for this amp?
If you have the single 4 ohm subs, then I would say that you purchased the wrong ones, or the sales guy sold you the wrong ones. You need the dual 4 ohm subs to run that amp at its lowest rated mono load of 4 ohms. You will cause the amp to overheat with possible damage if you try to run at 2 ohms mono.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was given them...but you are saying that if the subs are DVC I can run them parellel no problem. But if they are SVC I am in trouble and should just run them in series?

And I will be using just one channel of the two channel amp?

Am I finally getting it?

·
Registered
975 Posts
LLLexus said:

To best help you out, first find out what speakers exactly you will be getting (DVC, SVC, 2/4/8 ohm per coil), and then we will make sure
you get the best results. (Otherwise we'll ending up giving you the whole course on Elect-101. And then you'll REALY be confused). Then, we can even e-mails you diagrams if you'd want them.

Like Lisnup said, parallel/series is not what determines your best results, but which configuration will get you the closest (w/o going under)to the ideal resistance for that amp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the plot thickens!!!

I opened up the box to see what was inside. One the rear of the speakers it says - Orion XTR Series 2 12". 4 Ohm Dual Voice Coil. 500 Watts RMS Power Handling.

But what else did I find?

Each speaker was connected to a separate Orion CSX-T12 Woofer Module. On it reads - Minimum Phase Passive Crossover Computer Matched to the XTR 10 DVC and XTR 12 DVC. Wired 2 ohms zobel impedance correction. 18db per octave acoustic response.

What is this? Just a regular crossover? How come in the specs for the speakers it says DVC is 2/8 Ohms and the speaker says 4? Is this an average of the two coils?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
LLLexus said:
And the plot thickens!!!

I opened up the box to see what was inside. One the rear of the speakers it says - Orion XTR Series 2 12". 4 Ohm Dual Voice Coil. 500 Watts RMS Power Handling.

But what else did I find?

Each speaker was connected to a separate Orion CSX-T12 Woofer Module. On it reads - Minimum Phase Passive Crossover Computer Matched to the XTR 10 DVC and XTR 12 DVC. Wired 2 ohms zobel impedance correction. 18db per octave acoustic response.

What is this? Just a regular crossover? How come in the specs for the speakers it says DVC is 2/8 Ohms and the speaker says 4? Is this an average of the two coils?
The speaker has 2 voice coils and each is a 4 ohm coil making it a 2 or 8 ohm speaker as both coils have to be used. That zobel x-over is made to run the speakers at 2 ohms so the 2 coils need to be parallel'd. This means that each speaker is a 2 ohm final impedance speaker, thus you need to then run them in series to get a final load of 4 ohms at the amp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Orion is saying that this crossover will prevent my speakers from performing at their full range but the ohms will not change.

If this is true then I can either

Wire one speaker parellel to one channel of the amp and the other speaker parelell to the other channel or

I can run the speakers in series to eachother and then parellel to one channel of the amp.

Right?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bump

The DVC are wired parallel therefore making the speaker a 2 ohm speakers right? If they were wired in series each speaker would be 8 ohms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts