Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took off my "L" emblem off the trunk and realized it was darker so i thought i would just scrubb the area a bit to make it look all black (i have an onyx). So i scrubbed as hard as i could with a cotton towel and some soapy water. Then i realized that the towel had little rocks on it and i had been scratching up my car really badly.!!! Now there are a lot of little white scratches when looking close up... What is the best solution for this? waxing helped a little, but not enough...what should i do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
if its not deep, which i dont think it is, get some 2000 grit sand paper and lightly wet sand it til it disappear. then get some 3M rubbing compound and buff it with a cloth. very easy and will look like its professionaly done at body shop.

In my case, The basketball pole fell down during a windy storm and hit my spoiler and bounce off it. luckly didnt break anythng , but left a whole bunch of scratch. i did what i mentioned above and now it looked like it never happen

·
Registered
16 Posts
if its not deep, which i dont think it is, get some 2000 grit sand paper and lightly wet sand it til it disappear. then get some 3M rubbing compound and buff it with a cloth. very easy and will look like its professionaly done at body shop.

In my case, The basketball pole fell down during a windy storm and hit my spoiler and bounce off it. luckly didnt break anythng , but left a whole bunch of scratch. i did what i mentioned above and now it looked like it never happen

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow...sandpaper huh....thats sounds kinda.... scary. Wouldnt sandpaper create more scratches? sorry if sound stupid... just wondering how im supposed to use it..

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
issanby said:
wow...sandpaper huh....thats sounds kinda.... scary. Wouldnt sandpaper create more scratches? sorry if sound stupid... just wondering how im supposed to use it..

Thanks
Im talking about 2000 grit sanpaper , they are FINE sandpaper, i think your talking about 40 grit sand paper LOL ! But anyways, if your afraid dont do it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A non permanent fix would be to use turtle wax black wax, it helps quite a bit but wears off after a while, but doesn't take much to put on. Most auto parts retailers have it. Also not too bad on little rock chips!

·
Registered
219 Posts
issanby said:

Thanks
ok when i bought my lex it had some pretty heavy scratches on the hood- it drove me nuts, so i bought some Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner (#2) and Medium Cut Cleaner (#1), (go to www.meguiars.com) use these with a sponge applicator and u s/b good to go again. Worked wonders for my paint- u can barely even see the gouges that used to be on the hood. I've also got black onyx, so i know how every lil thing shows.
If u're in dire need of help- refer to: www.autopia.com- they're great on that site, very, very helpful with technique and product knowledge...

good luck bud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts