Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being on this board for some time now, i notice the nasty rivalry between certain type-s owners and the is300 crew.

I am not the one to diss or say that the type-s handles or performs better than the IS300, but what I do now is, racing a type-s with a stock auto IS will only make some type-s owners' egos bigger. 9 out 10 times, we all know the type-s will win in acceleration (no flames, all the magazines will attest to that and driver skill is minimized because there is no shifting involved)), so for those IS300 owners who race type-s, you will more than likely lose and by losing you will only make type-s owners ego better.

I am not dissing the IS, I'm getting it over the type-S because I don't dig the CL's design, but far be it for me to even think about having red-light race with a type-s if I had a auto IS.

it's an entirely different story though if you have a Forced induction 5sp IS. There are better chances of a turbo or supercharger coming out for an IS than there is for the type-S.

·
Registered
816 Posts
0-60mph is probably 7.2s, possibly 7.5s, so we obviously didn't buy the IS because we wanted to be drag racers.

Now, road racers...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
i don't know how many mods are out there for the cl-s, but when i was in the dealership buying my car, a black cl-s pulled up just outside the showroom window. it was lowered, had 18" wheels, larger tires, and a different exhaust. when the guy came in, i asked him about it. he said it was an acura skunkworks cl-s, and that it had a new intake, new exhaust, and a *chip* in the ECM. he said that unless he backs off a bit between shifts, he can get major wheelspin in 2nd, and even a slight chirp in 3rd sometimes. he said 0-60 times are 5.0-5.3. the engine remains naturally aspirated.

to me, that's amazing. allegedly, the chip will be available sometime in december or january for public consumption.

neat stuff...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
There are better chances of a turbo or supercharger coming out for an IS than there is for the type-S.
Actually, Comptech has already begun work on a supercharger for the J-series V6 engines from Honda (Accord, TL, CL) now that their S2000 supercharger is done.

That said... I'm not going for it when it's done. It'll cost around $5000 and I don't think the tranny can handle it (or at least handle it for 150,000+ miles).

I'll take my CL-S with intake and headers and leave it at that. That should give me 0-60 in the 5.9-6.2 range. Good enuf for me

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Golden:
Actually, Comptech has already begun work on a supercharger for the J-series V6 engines from Honda (Accord, TL, CL) now that their S2000 supercharger is done.

That said... I'm not going for it when it's done. It'll cost around $5000 and I don't think the tranny can handle it (or at least handle it for 150,000+ miles).

I'll take my CL-S with intake and headers and leave it at that. That should give me 0-60 in the 5.9-6.2 range. Good enuf for me
golden, how's the intake work for you? how much did u drop on it, if i may ask?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Originally posted by geoff:
golden, how's the intake work for you? how much did u drop on it, if i may ask?

Actually, I don't have any performance mods at this point. Those are just the two I plan on doing. As of right now, there is not intake available specifically for the CL. However, AEM is developing one. They keep saying "6 more weeks" every time someone calls them. Someone else on the forum bought an AEM CAI for the TL and modified it to work on the CL. I believe those are $219 on Acura-TL.com. I suspect the CL's CAI will cost about the same. If you don't wanna wait, the modification is really easy. You just cut 9" off the CAI for the TL (because of the VSA) and pop it on.

Also, the guy from H-A.net dyno'd his car before and after the intake and it looks to be a 10-11hp gain at the wheels. So with headers and CAI we'll be in the 300-305hp range AT THE CRANK.

[This message has been edited by Golden (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe TEG and Webmaster could start a new forum - CL Discussions.

geoff and agent smith can moderate.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
um golden, you're being WAAAAAYYY too optimistic with your figures...i'd say you'll have 280hp at the crank TOPS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
um golden, you're being WAAAAAYYY too optimistic with your figures...i'd say you'll have 280hp at the crank TOPS.
Actually, on the dyno the max increae in horsepower from the headers is 32HP at about 6800RPM. Taking into account tranny loss that's about 38 at the crank. So, with just headers you're looking at ~290HP at the crank. If an intake will add ~10-12 HP (which seems reasonable) that would bring it up to ~300HP. I had my headers put on the other day and it makes the top end of every gear like a friggin' race car. I actually activated my VSA the other day on a 1-2 shift (that means not wheel chirp, but wheelSPIN). Problem is, as you all know as well, that with 300Hp and an auto tranny the full potential of those ponies will never be realized. Hey, we're all in the same boat on that one for now.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts