Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

NEED PEOPLE TO TEST! $699 shipped and we need 5 people to test this!!!
Custom IS300 Competition Clutch Stage 2 and 13.56Lb steel flywheel combo

Dear My.is community,

We have been here for over 2 years now, and its time to make some special products for you. Our first task we want to cover is flywheels. We know currently for the IS300 there is basically one aftermarket flywheel that you all get, Fidanza.

The Fidanza flywheel is 13.5Lbs and Aluminum. While we like the setup, your stock flywheel weighs in at around 29Lbs. This is setup to keep the car driving super smooth and really easy function. What you also get is a big drop in power to the wheels. With the fidanza, you have super light weight (less than 50% of the OEM), but it is aluminium which means you cannot resurface it. The friction plates can be purchased to substitute, but at times, flywheels are too worn out to do this.

So the solution...

We have been very close to Competition Clutch and their team wants to develop a flywheel based upon your needs. Consiquently, they will tweak their clutches to fit as well. We are basically making a specific clutch for IS300 members here that will be designed based upon the voice of the IS300 community. It will be a joint effort between us all to get you guys the perfect setup, so there is no more question on what to choose or not to choose.

What we need from you:

1. What are your experiences with the fidanza or any aftermarket flywheel?
2. What is the good about the aftermarket flywheel? What is bad?
3. What weight would you like to see the new flywheel ring in at?
4. Are you concerned mostly about power transfer, or smoothness?
5. What is a realistic price range you would like to pay?
6. Would steel material work for you? (We are shooting for this because its resurface-able and less likely to warp than aluminum)
7. All other comments

The more info you give us, the better we can make this my.is clutch and flywheel setup for you.

Thanks in advance,

Edward
1-800-959-0145
[email protected]
THMotorsports - Discount Performance Parts Sale | Lowest Price | Free Shipping - Homepage

·
Banned
92 Posts
I'll give it a go.
I'd love another option at a mid-weight flywheel. I love that the N/A supra swap is a possibility because its gives the best of both worlds. Better performance & driveability. I've only drive 1 IS3 with a lightweigt flywheel (11lbs) and I loved the performance but hated the driveability factor. Especially for a daily driver.
So if you guys could find a nice comprimise in between those 2. (11lbs-18lbs) I think that would be amazing. It would be lighter than the OEM supra but not too light like the Fidanza. Possibly a 14-15lbs flywheel, sure would be a nice comprimise.

As for steel vs aluminum, it's one of those cost/benefit problems. I think steel would suffice here. The way I always saw it was aluminum only had a real benefit in the upper rpm range where it doesn't store as much energy as the steel. So it might be better up top. But the steel stores more engery down low so it's easier to get moving and off the line better.
(I could be wrong but this is what I was taught.)

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll give it a go.
I'd love another option at a mid-weight flywheel. I love that the N/A supra swap is a possibility because its gives the best of both worlds. Better performance & driveability. I've only drive 1 IS3 with a lightweigt flywheel (11lbs) and I loved the performance but hated the driveability factor. Especially for a daily driver.
So if you guys could find a nice comprimise in between those 2. (11lbs-18lbs) I think that would be amazing. It would be lighter than the OEM supra but not too light like the Fidanza. Possibly a 14-15lbs flywheel, sure would be a nice comprimise.

As for steel vs aluminum, it's one of those cost/benefit problems. I think steel would suffice here. The way I always saw it was aluminum only had a real benefit in the upper rpm range where it doesn't store as much energy as the steel. So it might be better up top. But the steel stores more engery down low so it's easier to get moving and off the line better.
(I could be wrong but this is what I was taught.)
Your physics are almost 100% correct. Remember, whats heavier, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers? Both can weigh in the same. Aluminum can expand faster, hence heating faster. This is why we want to steel as well over it.

Thanks in advance,

Edward
1-800-959-0145
[email protected]
THMotorsports - Discount Performance Parts Sale | Lowest Price | Free Shipping - Homepage

·
4,636 Posts
Will your flywheel include dowel pins for install or would that be extra? I know if you buy a brand new Toyota flywheel it comes with no dowel pins installed at all. And its hard as hell to pull the dowel pins out of the used OEM flywheel without chewing them up.

·
Banned
92 Posts
NA Supra Flywheel.....17 lbs, steel and resurfacable plus a fantastic price point. Not to rain on a parade but will you be able to compete?

http://my.is/forums/f88/n-supra-flywheel-clutch-swap-w-part-numbers-pics-updated-10-16-10-a-409335/

Aww, yes 17lbs. My mistake. It would be awsome to get another good mid-weight so we have a variety to choose from.
We have a nice mid-weight flywheel (N/A supra-17lbs) and also a nice lightweight flywheel (Fidanza-11lbs)..
It would be awsome if you guys could make something inbetween and keep decent driveability.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ill also try and give it a go.
So the stock flywheel is actually about 40lbs, cause it being a dual mass. so any flywheel would maybe a huge difference.

Currently i am running the Fidanza flywheel with Clutch masters combo. Personally i think clutch masters is now garbage because of this. The clutch doesnt slip and holds stock power with ease, and the pedal feel is very close to stock, but my issue is that whenever you slip the clutch even a little bit, it gives you a burning smell right away. i dont know if this would effect anyone else, but it annoys the hell out of me. haha. Ive had the clutch in for about 15k miles now and the clutch pads are pretty worn already. I have no problems with the flywheel, taking off from lights or even on a hill is really no problem, and actually the IS feels much better because of the quicker get up and go. i really can see no cons in having an aftermarket flywheel.

As for price range, this one would be hard to cover. of course it would have to be a little cheaper than all the other combos out there because its a package with no real feedback yet.

As for the flywheel material, i have always been a fan of alum. I like the idea of being able to just but new inserts vs having to go somewhere to resurface. As for the warping issue, i dont think that would be too big of a problem for the is owners, as from my experience. so i think steel would be a bit overkill.

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will your flywheel include dowel pins for install or would that be extra? I know if you buy a brand new Toyota flywheel it comes with no dowel pins installed at all. And its hard as hell to pull the dowel pins out of the used OEM flywheel without chewing them up.
Yes it will ;)

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aww, yes 17lbs. My mistake. It would be awsome to get another good mid-weight so we have a variety to choose from.
We have a nice mid-weight flywheel (N/A supra-17lbs) and also a nice lightweight flywheel (Fidanza-11lbs)..
It would be awsome if you guys could make something inbetween and keep decent driveability.
What we are considering right now is using the Comp Clutch Steel Flywheel for a non-turbo Supra weighing in at 13.5lbs, so basically right in the middle. We will include extended bolts and all hardware that is needed to do the conversion and mate this with an IS300 clutch. Basically, it will be 100% complete. Anyone have input on this setup? It will be THMotorsports exclusive to you guys.

Eddie

·
Registered
15 Posts
What time frame are you look at for doing this? I'm in the process of getting all the supra parts to swap over and would be interested if this was relatively soon.

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What time frame are you look at for doing this? I'm in the process of getting all the supra parts to swap over and would be interested if this was relatively soon.
Pretty quickly is what we are working on. We need a good source for Supra OEM parts. Does anyone know a good place that sells OEM parts discounted? We are trying to find a deal and work out something in bulk.

Eddie

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure of any on a bulk scale...

If I had the flywheel would you have the other components available now?

Also, is your kit planning on replacing the slave push rod due to the thinner flywheel?

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
My .02
I think this is a great idea to have more options for LW also from my experiance in VWs that we saw great improvments with Reducing the rotating mass of the engine for faster response - 2.5lbs to 4.5lbs lighter than stock with using OEM Quality and Factory Balanced parts ...And the feel was awesome and a real bang for the buck ....

·
Registered
70 Posts
What we are considering right now is using the Comp Clutch Steel Flywheel for a non-turbo Supra weighing in at 13.5lbs, so basically right in the middle. We will include extended bolts and all hardware that is needed to do the conversion and mate this with an IS300 clutch. Basically, it will be 100% complete. Anyone have input on this setup? It will be THMotorsports exclusive to you guys.

Eddie
I would have definitely gone this route instead of the clutch and flywheel combo kit that I got from you guys. Not that the combo isn't a great deal.... The steel flywheel would have been much better.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't want to give up day-to-day driveability but I would like a little faster throttle response (if a lighter flywheel will help) and I would like better feel, as the OEM clutch set up is pretty numb. I'd really, really like to see better chatter or judder behavior. My OEM clutch, particularly first thing after a cold start, has to be finessed just so to avoid judder. It really makes a clean launch difficult to accomplish. I like the idea of steel for it's wear resistance, machine-ability, dimensional stability and overall durability. My engine is stock so I'm not looking for a lot of holding power over OEM spec.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure of any on a bulk scale...

If I had the flywheel would you have the other components available now?

Also, is your kit planning on replacing the slave push rod due to the thinner flywheel?
Everything should be ready soon. The kit will have the longer slave rod that is needed for the IS in the kit.

-Dan

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
i have an idea. 1jz flywheels that don't cost a freaking fortune. most of us turbo guys end up going r154, and really, its totally devoid of good flywheels for cheap. driftmotion makes an awesome one, and its pretty inexpensive, but still it'd be cool to have options..

Welcome to Driftmotion!

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The kit is basically done boys and girls! We are using Supra parts with a full conversion included in the package. Spread the word, its coming!

Eddie

1 - 20 of 50 Posts