Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 244 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You could just run a SAFCII or something of that nature to tune the SRT or any intake , end result will be better then the non tuneable RECU anyways...

·
Registered
48 Posts
But the SRT with the race ecu is so expensive... why not just save up some more money and get a piggy back like the Greddy Ultimate or the AEM... then you have actual customizability rather than something that is designed for every IS300...

·
Registered
275 Posts
k&n cone air filter alone newB!

Sorry if this has been discussed already but im still new to building up my car, I actually just got myself an HKS super drager 2 exhaust and now ima trying to move onto the intake itself. I was told to just get the cone air filter, can someone tell me the diff between the full intake and the cone by itself? Will the cone by itself do anything? srry again if its been discussed already :confused:

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you are talking about the one for the SRT intake, it comes with the intake when you purchase it. Not too sure if they sell it separate. You can always go on SRT's website to check. If you just have any other intake than you can just get the Apexi Safc or a full standalone. Some of our vendors should carry those.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you are talking about the one for the SRT intake, it comes with the intake when you purchase it. Not too sure if they sell it separate. You can always go on SRT's website to check. If you just have any other intake than you can just get the Apexi Safc or a full standalone. Some of our vendors should carry those.
Yea I bought a cheap ebay intake and I need one.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Why do you say that?? I don't think you should with an ebay intake unless lithe diameter if the pipe is huge. Look into the Apexi Safc once you've got your other bolt ons and than you can get a simple tune with it.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
He's talking about the recu..^^

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was thinking of getting a full intake, but I hear something about water going inside? idk im not too sure someone was telling me, im still noob about the intakes. its under the hood how could water be getting inside unlesss its like under the car or something?

·
Registered
849 Posts
It happens when you have a true cold air intake where the piping runs down towards the bumper and the filter is pretty much sitting inside the bumper away from the heat of the engine bay, hence the name cold air intake. Usually will happens if you actually go into a deep enough puddle, your car eventually hydro locks and game over.
Most if not all intakes for our cars are short ram and stays inside the engine bay so not much to worry about.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was thinking of getting a full intake, but I hear something about water going inside? idk im not too sure someone was telling me, im still noob about the intakes. its under the hood how could water be getting inside unlesss its like under the car or something?
i'm not sure what you mean by "full" intake but I know that if you go with say the budget joez intake that uses the stock airbox and put in a drop in filter thats not going to be a problem. I haven't read anything about water going inside with any of our intakes either. maybe you mean an intake with a long pipe that travels down towards the front bumper? if so I don't think you'd get much more gains over such a thing and it would be more work.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i'm not sure what you mean by "full" intake but I know that if you go with say the budget joez intake that uses the stock airbox and put in a drop in filter thats not going to be a problem. I haven't read anything about water going inside with any of our intakes either. maybe you mean an intake with a long pipe that travels down towards the front bumper? if so I don't think you'd get much more gains over such a thing and it would be more work.
What he wanted to do at first was stick a k&n cone filter to the stock pipe. So im assuming by "full intake" he's talking about an actual full mod, not just the filter.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
CAI (true cold air intake)- is an intake system that draws air from outside the engine bay.
SRI (short ram intake)- is an intake system that draws air from inside the engine bay.

Since our intake system on the IS300 is pretty good on its only , when adding an intake its best to tune it to get max HP potential with other supporting mods...

·
Registered
25 Posts
My airbox is cracked, before the filter, so not super bad, but figured I WOULDNT replace it with another OEM, thinking of going aftermarket. I like that Joe Z pipe, and a Blitz filter, but that wouldn't solve the cracked box problem... hmmmm

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
^^^ sounds like a good time to upgrade , the KN intake is a nice choice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It happens when you have a true cold air intake where the piping runs down towards the bumper and the filter is pretty much sitting inside the bumper away from the heat of the engine bay, hence the name cold air intake. Usually will happens if you actually go into a deep enough puddle, your car eventually hydro locks and game over.
Most if not all intakes for our cars are short ram and stays inside the engine bay so not much to worry about.

thx again! i finally know what it means by the short ram intakes, how much better is the short rams compared to the drop ins?

CAI (true cold air intake)- is an intake system that draws air from outside the engine bay.
SRI (short ram intake)- is an intake system that draws air from inside the engine bay.

Since our intake system on the IS300 is pretty good on its only , when adding an intake its best to tune it to get max HP potential with other supporting mods...

thx! I have a feelin im probably gonna get the short ram

I currently have a drop in k&n right now, I want to get a SRI but I wanna know the difference before I do. Does it matter if its not a famous one like injen or something? lemme know thx

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Unless you live in california and need CARB approval just do either:
a/Joe-z or PLP intake pipe
b/SRT intake

option A plus your drop in filter will net you the same or slightly better results than most SRI's at around 8-10whp, an SRT intake is about as good as it gets for an intake 18-22whp(with their ecu) but is also far more expensive and fairly hard to get(very poor shipment times & customer service...unless you live close enough to pick it up from them)

41 - 60 of 244 Posts