Lexus IS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
so much information to read through, lol... I ended up going with the k&n intake. I really wasn't going for hp gains, I just wanted some sound. I know that sounds dumb, but that's just me... plus I like how it looks, it doesn't stand out too much...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think what I'll most likley end up doing is just creating a heatshield, getting a pod filter, and save up for some turbo bits!
Intakes never really do it for me I guess. :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Injen intake with OEM air box modified to act as a serious head shield and ram air assist

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Recently purchased a joez pipe and am thinking if purchasing a better drop in filter. I've done some searching on the forum and it seems like a lot of people like the afe filters. Can someone give me some info on what the difference is between the oil free and not oil free? Both are the same price (close to $100 on their site).

If you have other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I'm new to this community, I have bought is300 a couple weeks ago. Still learning new things about the car. I have a K&N intake on my IS (bought car with it installed). The seller don't have the stock intake. I kinda wanna switch it to OE . I wondering if anyone know first hand if there any difference compared to OE? Debating whether I should keep it or get rid of it depending on the feedback.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I'd keep it and put a new non oil filter on it .

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi
I'm new to this community, I have bought is300 a couple weeks ago. Still learning new things about the car. I have a K&N intake on my IS (bought car with it installed). The seller don't have the stock intake. I kinda wanna switch it to OE . I wondering if anyone know first hand if there any difference compared to OE? Debating whether I should keep it or get rid of it depending on the feedback.
id give that engine bay a good cleaning and put on a new filter. no reason to get rid of the intake.

As for the SRT questions, i loved/love the srt intake on my is300 but i would have never paid full price and got mine used for around 300 if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When I bought my current car, it came with a generic cone filter intake on it, and I just kept it. It makes a nice sound, probably a small hp gain.

For this car, it's not worth buying an intake (in my opinion), but since it was given to you for free, I'd just keep it. It isn't doing any harm, and it'd be a hassle sourcing an OEM box and reverting back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has an AEM intake when I bought the car in last September, recently modified it to make a Cold Air intake from the AEM Short Ram Intake.

Still haven't driven the car with it since that time. I am not hoping to gain any HP, I am attending an entire lapping day August 1st and just wanted the engine to breath air that wasn't in the engine bay

Made a 3.25'' hole with hole saw, used some random piping I had laying around with 1 straight fitting and 1 90 degrees rubber elbow and reused the same filter relocated in the wheel well lined up with the opening next to the fog light

When I bought the car:

After changing the filter months ago:

Now with the CAI modification:

·
Registered
52 Posts
K&N FIPK - like it.

Aside from price, the SRT is quite large in diameter, and you can only force so much air into the intake maniforld, thing has to be all wired in, and some people have got less power afterword.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,
Just read thru all 16 pages. Everyone touched a bit on the AEM short ram intake but doesn't really go in detail.

I bought it and installed it And love the fitment and look. Red tube matches the red car.

I see people mention the SRT with the ecu add on. Is that why I feel like my AEM is "losing" power. Whenever input my foot down on the gas, it feels like it's holding back for struggling. Once it gets to about 4K rpms it feels just fine.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hey guys,
Just read thru all 16 pages. Everyone touched a bit on the AEM short ram intake but doesn't really go in detail.

I bought it and installed it And love the fitment and look. Red tube matches the red car.

I see people mention the SRT with the ecu add on. Is that why I feel like my AEM is "losing" power. Whenever input my foot down on the gas, it feels like it's holding back for struggling. Once it gets to about 4K rpms it feels just fine.
I am sure you saw this.
https://www.my.is/forums/f88/aem-intake-is300-424240/
Really it is up a bit in power. But not a great deal. It also changes the response a bit. Torque and horsepower curve. The old SRT does gain a bit more. But they are gone. I will say I am working on some things. I can do some custom meters and other things. That is all I will say right now.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts
About this Discussion
243 Replies
105 Participants
01 SolarYellow
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing